IGNORED

Jack Thompson

Deeptone

But who is really at fault here:

1) Jack Thompson

2) Psychopath gamers

3) The "gaming industry"

4) Dozens of chat rooms, forums, communities, webzines, and other media outlets drawing attention to his rantings and thus granting him all the publicity he's aiming for?

Sure, we're all against the guy, but with so much coverage in various gaming media, some people who are anti-gaming are bound to pick up on this coverage. It's mindless - no, puerile - baiting which should be ignored, and we are all rising to it. Maybe the mods should enforce a new rule about these kinds of threads.  :lol:

The answer to your question is 1). If you ignore idiots then they just shout louder and the next thing you know someones given them their way just to shut them up.

I actually listened to most of that interview, and Mr. T does make some valid points before descending into drivel. For a start he specifically calls for a UK BBFC style rating system to replace the ESRB. He argues that the ESRB, being related to the ESA as being subservient to the games industry, deliberately rating games below what they should be. This is of course mostly rubbish, but bringing in a completely seperate organisation would at least remove any sense of uncertainty for silly parents.

Secondly he argues that Bully is in unacceptably bad taste, pointing out the outrage from anti-bullying organisations and the prominence of the Columbine disaster in the American consciousness. I agree. Based on the admittedly small ammount of information we have on the game, you play a school bully with the aim of becoming the most feared bully of them all. I see absolutely no appeal in that concept beyond real-life bullies eager to continue their fantasies outside of the schoolyard. Manhunt's appeal came came from a natural morbid curiosity and its satirical overtones. GTA came with the appeal of a glamorous criminal lifestyle. Bully, at least in concept, is just sick.

Of course, Thompson's headline grabbing description of Bully as a "Columbine simulator" is clearly way off the mark - it's not that sick - but I can't see it as bringing anything but bad publicity to a medium that's still having trouble becoming accepted in the mainstream. I don't think the game should be banned or anything as Thompson clearly desires, as like the interviewer said it's up to the public what they deem acceptable. However I can't see a game that trivialises an issue as serious as school bullying as anything but a bad light.

Those aside then, hearing Thompson for the first time reveals him to be just as slimy and irritating as I imagined him to be. The interviewer brought up the issue of why so much attention was given to Hot Coffee as opposed to all the violent illegal activities in the game, especially given Thompson's focus on videogame violence. He sidestepped the issue completely, instead moaning about how Rockstar "lied" about the game's content to the ESRB being the issue at hand. When questioned about his fluff with The Sims 2, he once again tried to sidestep the issue to rant about how the likes of the EA could lose their copyrights by letting modders use the names of their games. Also his insistence that games can train people in performing real life violence along with his constant referals to games as "simulators" is quite immensely annoying.

Secondly he argues that Bully is in unacceptably bad taste, pointing out the outrage from anti-bullying organisations and the prominence of the Columbine disaster in the American consciousness. I agree. Based on the admittedly small ammount of information we have on the game, you play a school bully with the aim of becoming the most feared bully of them all. I see absolutely no appeal in that concept beyond real-life bullies eager to continue their fantasies outside of the schoolyard. Manhunt's appeal came came from a natural morbid curiosity and its satirical overtones. GTA came with the appeal of a glamorous criminal lifestyle. Bully, at least in concept, is just sick.

Where the hell do you get your gaming information from?

Last I checked, you dont play as a bully in Bully (the title comes from the fictional school in the title), there are no guns in the game, and the aim of the game is not to bully the other or specific students.

I dont think there has been much in the way of concrete information about the gameplay released by Rockstar as of yet.

Where the hell do you get your gaming information from?

Last I checked, you dont play as a bully in Bully (the title comes from the fictional school in the title), there are no guns in the game, and the aim of the game is not to bully the other or specific students.

I dont think there has been much in the way of concrete information about the gameplay released by Rockstar as of yet.

I know there are no guns, hence the comment that Jack's "Columbine simulator" is utter bollocks. :D

However as far as I know the aim of the game is exactly as I described. The official site shows nothing but three screenshots, each of which shows the same sterotypical skinhead bully, looking mean and beating up some kids.

There hasn't been much information released about the game yet though, I'll give you that. However from what has been released it seems my interpretation is more likely to be true. I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong though.

EDIT: Here's a quote from the BBC News site back in August. Hardly up to date, but meh.

Rockstar Games has said it does not yet have a synopsis for the game, but gaming magazines have reported that Bully features a pupil at a school for juvenile offenders who assaults both other pupils and teachers.

Okay I've just done a bit more reading, and it seems we're both right. :(

You play a "troublesome schoolboy" (Rockstar's words), who "stands up to bullies, gets picked on by teachers, plays pranks on malicious kids, wins or loses the girl, and ultimately learns to navigate the obstacles of the fictitious reform school." As far as I can tell you do play a bully, but the people being bullied are in fact other bullies that want to bully you, all justiied by the "reform school" setting. I guess that makes things a lot more palatable, but the use of the word "prank" doesn't seem to match up with the content of the third screenshot. :D

Anyway, I guess we'll have to see how it turns out. I still feel the concept is a bit on the dodgy side, no matter what steps are taken to soften the blow.

However as far as I know the aim of the game is exactly as I described. The official site shows nothing but three screenshots, each of which shows the same sterotypical skinhead bully, looking mean and beating up some kids.
Just because you think that's what the game is about, doesn't mean that it is true. The official site has only three shots, as you say, but only one shows the player fighting, another shows him playing a sport (dodgeball, I believe), and another he's just standing there.

To make an assumption that the game is focussed entirely on bullying other students is quite retarded logic. The game to me, looks and sounds (from Edge's brief mention in E151) that is just GTA but set in a school. Dont get confused now, bullying and random violence isn't the same thing. Obviously there's going to be fighting in it, but you aren't going to spend all your time in the game hounding a select few NPCs (mostly because, get this, that'd be a pretty shit game).

There hasn't been much information released about the game yet though, I'll give you that. However from what has been released it seems my interpretation is more likely to be true. I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong though.
Seriously, your logic here is "there's nothing to prove otherwise so I'm right". No. That's Jack 'mindless speculation' Thompson's logic. Dont be putting yourself in the same school of thought as him.
EDIT: Here's a quote from the BBC News site back in August. Hardly up to date, but meh.
Rockstar Games has said it does not yet have a synopsis for the game, but gaming magazines have reported that Bully features a pupil at a school for juvenile offenders who assaults both other pupils and teachers.

And? All that says is 'its in a school, and there's fighting'. Wow, stop press!

Jeez.

edit: fair enough,I've read that brief synopsis somewhere too. I went digging around for info, but only came up with Edge's little bit.

I like the way Jack's now describing his "modest proposal" as a satire. He's full of it until someone calls his bluff and then it's "I was only joking!" Still, he's effectively depriving a charity somewhere of $10k so I wonder who's laughing.

(And yes, I realise it's based on a satirical piece but I think the offer of hard cash to charity negates that. You don't go around offering money to charities in jest. Unless you're a complete wa-. Oh. I see.)

It was only a matter of time until a mod team took Jack Thompson's disgusting revenge fantasy and made it flesh - and, just as I suggested, it was deemed insufficient.

Thompson now claims that his repellent suggestion was "satire," and we must conclude that his financial offer was also satire, some new breed of satire apparently that I'm sure is just hilarious to people in need.

You know what, Jack? We're going to be the men you're not. You said that your insulting, illusory ten thousand dollars would go to the charity of Paul Eibeler's choice. We've got a good guess that he'd direct your nonexistant largesse toward The Entertainment Software Association Foundation, a body that has raised over six point seven million dollars over the last eight years. We've just made the donation you never would, and never meant to. Ten thousand dollars' worth. And we made it in your name.

I don't know where a couple of web-cartoonists get $10k to make some sort of point, but way to go.

Now he's trying to get the PA guys arrested? (has this been posted b4?)

http://www.gamepolitics.com/

The simmering controversy over anti-game crusader Jack Thompson's controverisal $10,000 donation offer took an ugly turn this morning. The Miami attorney has tried to enlist the efforts of the Seattle Police Department in a dust-up with gamer website Penny Arcade.

In a letter faxed to Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske (left), Thompson says, in part, "A Seattle business by the name of Penny Arcade... employs certain personnel who have decided to commence and orchestrate criminal harassment of me by various means... This company has done this because I dared to go on CBS's 60 Minutes in March and again in July to explain a wrongful death lawsuit I have brought on behalf of two police officers and a police dispatcher in Fayette, Alabama, who were shot in the head and killed by Devin Moore who obsessively trained on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to kill them."

"As you may know, this incredibly violent Rockstar Games product is actually a 'cop-killing' murder simulator. There are a bunch of computer geeks out there who think that the video game industry has a constitutional right to paint a bullseye on your back and on your officers' backs... That is what this criminal harassment of me by Penny Arcade is all about. They're even selling an 'I Hate Jack Thompson' t-shirt, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. These idiots have been so careless as to post on their www.pennyarcade.com web site what they are doing regarding the harassment of me."

"I look forward to working with your fine Police Department to shut this little extortion factory down and/or arrest some of its employees."

This latest controversy is part and parcel to a complicated dispute over Thompson's bizarre offer to donate $10K to charity provided that a developer create and distribute a violent game of Thompson's specification in which the victims were industry executives and their families.

GP is seeking comment from the folks at Penny Arcade, but given the East Coast-West Coast time differential, it's likely they haven't even rolled into Starbucks yet. We'll add anything we hear from them. We'll also add any comment we are able to get from SPD, although Thompson's complaint wouldn't seem likely to be high on their priority list. And anyway, their investigation will likely be hindered by the fact that Thompson's letter provides the wrong URL for Penny Arcade.

By the way, the Penny Arcade case is not the first time the volatile attorney has tried to sic the gendarmes on a game site.

Can you say "chilling effect?"

He is an absolute fanny. Do you think he actually listens to himself? Penny Arcade has gone up ten-fold in my estimations due to all this. Their site seems to be down at the moment though. Surely if he does try to get them arrested any court in the land will realise that they haven't actually done anything wrong.

He is an absolute fanny. Do you think he actually listens to himself? Penny Arcade has gone up ten-fold in my estimations due to all this. Their site seems to be down at the moment though. Surely if he does try to get them arrested any court in the land will realise that they haven't actually done anything wrong.

I'm guessing the site is down due to some kind of mass amount of people hitting the blog section. It's not surprising he's trying to sue the Penny Arcade guys now, as it seems as though anyone who threatens him is dealt with via extreme measures. I read the VG Cats e-mail exchange to the meddling fossil and it's quite shocking this guy makes out he's a "professional lawyer".

If anything, it'll be interesting how this plays out. He's already been thrown out by the NIMF, so more people are definitely getting wise to his unprofessional antics.

The e-mail GameSpot received was sent to Penny Arcade creators Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins and the site's business development manager, Robert Khoo. Copies of the e-mail were also sent to other media outlets, as well as several addresses at the national law firm Blank Rome LLP. Blank Rome Government Relations represents not only Take-Two Interactive, but also the City of Seattle.

However, it appears Thompson did neglect to send the letter to one very important party. As of 9:55 a.m. PDT, the Seattle Police Department confirmed to GameSpot that it had not received any such fax from Thompson.

Thompson has since e-mailed GameSpot again, saying that he has fixed the URL and apparently faxed the letter, saying "they have it now." Thompson added, "The moral midgets like the computer geeks at Penny Arcade think that I am some sort of pixelated piñata in a game. I'm not. Gabe [the in-comic alter-ego of Penny Arcade artist Krahulik] decided to go after me, and he chose the wrong target. I've been at this longer than he has."

:lol:

This just gets more and more entertaining.

he must have a PR agent, surely. Why the hell has it not told him to SHUT THE FUCK UP for 5 minutes.

Maybe they did, but he just called them names and threatened to sue them. That seems to be his stock response to anyone who disagrees with him or points out his factual/logical errors.