IGNORED

Jack Thompson

Deeptone

I know, and you know, if you are being honest, that that is not how the world works. Evil people sometimes have to be stopped, or at least their evil has to be stopped.

Is this Bush talking?

Who's evil again? I forget, murders or developers? I keep getting the fuckers mixed up they're so alike. Bollocks.

it will not matter unless somebody gets into the trenches and stops these people.

World War 3? :(

Jack Tompson on the front line fighting for his cause?....on his own?

I do apolgise if this has already been posted but what is this guy's E Mail address.

I want to talk to the fucker.

Solution:

Scrap the USA's idiotic rating system.

Put in place an English style BBFC rating.

Enfoce this.

Shut up.

Fucking o'lay! Everyone's happy!

Not that I expect him to listen...

No. His argument is nonsensical in the most literal sense possible. There is a rating system in place, a legally enforced system, and all videogames are subject to it. All retailers are obliged to abide by the system.

From these facts, Thompson deduces that the industry is selling Mature rated Columbine simulators to kids.

The man is a histrionic moron and world class buffoon.

So in america can kid slegally buy adult video games like GTA?

No. Their version of PEGI (the ESRB) is actually enforced by law, and the GTA games are rated T for Teen, which is 17 and up. Jack Thompson is just an idiot.

EDIT: Or what he said^

To be fair, there are some things that should be done (in this country as well) to help curb the sale of violent games to minors, at least to some degree. Harsher laws on vendors might help a little, but educating parents would probably be the best way - and at least he does manage to make some people aware that perhaps buying titles like GTA for their kids is a bad idea.

However, the tabloidish nature of his comments make it all too easy for him to be mocked, and thus all of his perceived 'allies' who seek to improve the situation regarding violent computer games, and as such reverses any good he may have caused. On top of this,his fanatical hatred for all computer games and designers is hard to forgive. He really needs to be stopped, and I hope that this disavowing of him by semi-affiliated organisations will continue, and will hopefully manage to censure him to a degree.

Sadly I think that's none too likely, as the media loves firebrands like him. Ah well...

I was reading his site again last night and saw this:

ANOTHER THOMPSON PREDICTION CAME TRUE: Dateline NBC reported Friday, December 13, 2002, that the Beltway Sniper, John Lee Malvo, was compelled by John Muhammad to train on the sniper video game, Halo, switched to sniper-mode or God-mode, to suppress his inhibition to kill." Jack Thompson predicted, in an interview by Matt Lauer on NBC's Today show three weeks before the Beltway Snipers were apprehended, that one of the snipers "might very well be a video gamer as young as 15 trained on a game switched to sniper-mode or God-mode."

I asked a few people if they thought Halo was primarily a "sniper video game", they said that it could be when played in multiplayer. What do you think? In my experience there wasn't a whole lot of sniping; sure, bits here and there in chapters like Truth and Reconciliation, but most of the encounters were "up-close and personal", so to speak. (Oh, and I didn't know there was a God mode for Halo, so I'm off to have a look...)

I'm still *amazed* that people think a videogame can train you, in ANY MEANS, to get hold of and use a gun efficiently.

The fact that he refers to Halo as a 'sniper simulator' and Bully as a 'Columbine simulator' just makes him sound further like he has no IDEA what he is on about.

This really fucking angers me - the idiots really ARE winning :(

Liberals, like you, love to label things and then think that the labeling has accomplished something. If that had been the case, then Churchill's calling Hitler a Nazi would have ended the war. But no, people like me had to get into the trenches and stop the Nazis.

What a wanker, Jack Thompson has "draft dodger" written all over his smug, self-righteous face.

Hear that Rockstar, you and the rest of the games industry are the fourth Reich and Thompson's gonna get in the trenches and teach you all a lesson. It's WAR, baby.

I'm still *amazed* that people think a videogame can train you, in ANY MEANS, to get hold of and use a gun efficiently.

Likewise. I'm an ace with the sniper in, say, Counter-strike, but I wouldn't know where the fuck to start if I was handed one in real life.

Unless you control it with a mouse, that is.

Is it my imagination, or does Jack look ever so slightly like a really aged Elijah Wood? I'm serious, someone get a pic of Elijah from LotR and put it next to Jack's pick on the previous pages. There's definately a slight similarity there... Perhaps.

Oh dear god.... People are actually defending him!

Rather more disturbingly, the videogaming press has also been railing in his general direction, without even bothering to ring the guy up and ask what's behind the strongly worded press releases.

Since those in glass houses shouldn't really throw stones, I've been less than impressed at much that I've seen from my peers on the videogaming side of the fence - a side I was almost exclusively on myself when I was working for The Inquirer. Journalists are supposed to intelligently research something, craft a view of a story and then submit it to the public at large.

Excuse a little self-appreciation here, but I think I'm one of the few members of my fraternity who has actually bothered to take the telephone number at the end of the guy's emails and apply a bit of intelligence to it. I figured what the hell, it's not like if I ring him I'll lose more than a few cents on Skype. Turns out the chap is quite human.

Quick! Vinegar, FOR MY EYES! :rolleyes:

But who is really at fault here:

1) Jack Thompson

2) Psychopath gamers

3) The "gaming industry"

4) Dozens of chat rooms, forums, communities, webzines, and other media outlets drawing attention to his rantings and thus granting him all the publicity he's aiming for?

Sure, we're all against the guy, but with so much coverage in various gaming media, some people who are anti-gaming are bound to pick up on this coverage. It's mindless - no, puerile - baiting which should be ignored, and we are all rising to it. Maybe the mods should enforce a new rule about these kinds of threads. :lol:

wikipedia has an interesting entry for Jack thompson

Thompson has gained notoriety as an exceptionally caustic and combative individual, to some extent borne out in many examples of interchanges between him and other individuals surfacing in e-mails posted to the Internet, as well as interviews and media appearances. In his communications, a number of specific traits and tendencies have been observed:

* He has been commonly accused of, and many times proven to, use half-truths and misinformation to persuade others to accept his views.

* He frequently utilizes ad hominem attacks and slanderous "low blows" against those who disagree with him, as well as simply insulting his detractors, be they politely-worded or otherwise, with a variety of invectives.

* He frequently will either imply or blatantly insult those that express dissenting opinions as being mentally ill, mentally deficient, brain damaged, or on drugs.

* Accusations by him that those he disagrees with suffer from Tourette's syndrome, made without any substantiating proof or even the suggested condition's relevancy to the subject being discussed, are especially common.

* He has ignored individuals who point out factual errors or misstatements made by him and who supply substantiating proof or references, or has responded with the above described behaviors while intentionally failing to acknowledge or respond to the individual's mention of his (Thompson's) errors.

* He has provoked several people who have e-mailed him by telling them that they should enter treatment facilities. When they respond to his comments, he invokes the protection of the Florida Cyberstalker Law and threatened legal action against them. He will not hesitate to threaten legal action against people replying to negative and often hateful emails which he himself sent in the first place.

* He often invokes broad negative stereotypes against gamers in general. For example, in an e-mail correspondence with Scott Ramsoomair, he questions: "HOnestly [sic], are all of you gamers on drugs, or what?"[24]. In a correspondence with Ryan Acheson (Gaming writer for The Horror Channel’s Dread Central), where Ryan Acheson is supporting Thompson's intentions to make games rate M inaccesible to children, he identifies "gamers' ideas" as "the latest oxymoron"[25].

Ultimately many, if not most or all, who do not accept and support his views verbatim find it at best extraordinarily difficult and at worst literally impossible to engage in a constructive dialogue or discussion with Mr. Thompson. Thompson has also refused outright to comment to the media and has gone as far as to not even return media requests.