The Game Boy

El Pibe

I was thinking earlier…isn’t it funny that the Game Boy just doesn’t seem to be very popular with collectors? People are ad about the SNES, Saturn and even the PS, and each system has an unofficial list of ‘R@re games’ but no the Game Boy?

Pretty much any Game Boy game you fancy can be picked up on the cheap on eBay and, I’ve found anyway, it can often be more expensive at boot sales and it second hand shops than on the ‘Bay.

Personally, I like the Game Boy and there are few better games, for pure and simple fun, than Super Mario World.

Looking at it a bit less from the gaming view, but more from the slightly anal collector’s view, I think the cardboard cases and sheer number of games released means it’s easy to find something new.

Anyone got any favourites? Balloon Kid is another of mine, as well as Mole Mania.

Plus, am I sadly mistaken and are there valuable games for the Game Boy?

There is apparently a strong underground following for japanese BW GB games, mint in the box. Or so I've heard.

For me though, Alien 3 is probably one of the best damned GB games I've ever played.

Utterly stunning what they managed to do with such a limited system (I'm talking gameplay, not graphics).

over 100 million, all 'Boys combined I think. However, mint and boxed games are still quite rare and this combined with the fact that much of the software, I believe, didn't sell in massive numbers (outside of the big hitters) seems to suggest that the fairly low prices mean the demand/collectors just aren't there.

Tetris is just brilliant. I can't imagine there has ever been a game that has proved so totally addictive to so many different sections of society.

I wonder if it's the backwards compatability? Maybe it doesn't conjure as much interest because the machine never 'died', so to speak, or maybe it's because people aren't turned on by the black and white graphics?

There is apparently a strong underground following for japanese BW GB games, mint in the box. Or so I've heard.

Aye, i ended up having a last minute bidding war with some other goose on ebay for a mint complete copy of the original japanese Batman, ended up costing quite a lot more than i imagined. Nemesis in the same condition though i got for peanuts - lovely box art too!

Being such a compact size, gameboy games are certainly easy to store. I have a few favourites namely Monster Max, Altered Space and Solumon's Club. It is certainly harder to find boxed complete gameboy games, prices vary considerably from a few pounds onwards. I have seen Mr Do offered for a considerable sum.

Multicarts are the most expensive to obtain. As regards rarity/valuable, I suppose the Final Fantasy games are ones to look out for

I picked up Gargoyles Quest cheap the other day, in the past that used to be quite collectable.

Still a few Gameboygames I would like to own again, like Choplifter III, and Fortified Zone.

Ebay seems to be the only decent way of getting Original Game boy games, not many games shops have them, and those that do tend to overprice them for some reason.