IGNORED

Resident Evil 4

Tom C.

I played it on the Gamecube first, though it was awesome. Sold it after completing it a couple of times.

Bought the PS2 version and prefer it to be honest. Full screen, and I prefer the controller. By a fair bit.

The massively downgraded visuals hurt the PS2 version for me. It just wasn't the same playing it after experiencing it on GameCube.

But we're not. The complaint would have to be over the entire pricing set-up of games, regardless of format, in the UK & Europe.

It's usually not as blatant as "we're going to ignore the fact that this is a budget release" though.

Bit of a random statement here but felt I had to get it off my chest...

One of the most annoying things I have ever encountered in my entire life is hearing people say Res Evil 4 is rubbish and then hearing they first played it on a PS2.

I have not heard of ONE person who first played it on the PS2 and loved it. Anyone here?

Me. I bought a GC just for RE4 and played it through three times. Have to say I hate the GC controller. Bought the PS2 version and noticed the slight difference in colours but nothing as bad as some Ninty fans were wailing about. It also took a while to adjust to a certain slackness to the aiming of the PS2 controller but it wasn't long before I was aiming as good as before. Which left me to enjoy all the lovely extras in the PS2 version. Marvellous!

It's usually not as blatant as "we're going to ignore the fact that this is a budget release" though.

The RRP is £29.99 and it costs £24.99 on sites like Gameplay. Given that the usual retail price is £40 for Wii games over here, that represents "budget" pricing of sorts, though of course that's not saying much given the amount we pay over here....

The massively downgraded visuals hurt the PS2 version for me. It just wasn't the same playing it after experiencing it on GameCube.

By massively downgraded I am assuming you mean almost as good and running in actual widescreen and having less slowdown?

By massively downgraded I am assuming you mean almost as good and running in actual widescreen and having less slowdown?

I think that depends on the definition of "almost as good". It's a decent port, but there's a large discrepancy. The lack of lighting hurts it badly, as does the considerably less complex geometry.

There's a good comparison here: http://www.gameswelike.com/web/re/RE%20Comp.htm

The lighting is definitely the biggest problem, giving the game a rather drab appearance and almost completely killing the atmosphere in places, but the downgraded models don't help either

I think the GC controller better fits the game too, but that's a separate issue.

The RRP is £29.99 and it costs £24.99 on sites like Gameplay. Given that the usual retail price is £40 for Wii games over here, that represents "budget" pricing of sorts, though of course that's not saying much given the amount we pay over here....

I thought the RRP was £39.99? It's reasonably priced online, at least.

The FMV cutscenes alone are a dealbreaker. The missing lighting, fx and longer loading times aren't a good tradeoff for a few extra scanlines either.

I think that depends on the definition of "almost as good". It's a decent port, but there's a large discrepancy. The lack of lighting hurts it badly, as does the considerably less complex geometry.

There's a good comparison here: http://www.gameswelike.com/web/re/RE%20Comp.htm

The lighting is definitely the biggest problem, giving the game a rather drab appearance and almost completely killing the atmosphere in places, but the downgraded models don't help either

I think the GC controller better fits the game too, but that's a separate issue.

God, the PS2 version looks bland compared to the GC version. :ph34r:

I had no issues with the PS2 pad. Played it first time on PS2, loved every moment. The Ada bonus mode is a great addition, must've put another 4-5 hours on my playtime. Shame GC owners have had to wait years and pay the going rate for a new PS2 game for it...

I had no issues with the PS2 pad. Played it first time on PS2, loved every moment. The Ada bonus mode is a great addition, must've put another 4-5 hours on my playtime. Shame GC owners have had to wait years and pay the going rate for a new PS2 game for it...

Well, Playstation owners had to wait a year to get a crap version of a great game, so all's fair, I guess.

Well in all fairness, Nintendo gets the better looking original and eventually a new control system with all the extras the PS2 middle of the bunch not even nearly as technically impressive had. I dont think these any shame in having waiting a while for some extra modes but not having skimped on the atmosphere. I had the gc original and then downloaded the PS2 to try it out.

After 3 plays of the GC one, it really did look a bit shit. I noticed it instantly.

*Waves to guests*

I had no issues with the PS2 pad.

It never ceases to amaze me when people say things like this. It just seems totally impossible that you can play anything that requires a lot of analogue stick use on a PS2 and not want to kill someone at Sony as a result.

Oh, and there's absolutely no fucking chance that £30 can be claimed to be a budget release.

Panda- There's very little stick accuracy needed in RE4 when it comes down to it- a few sniping moments aside the DS' sticks are adequate for purpose. I'm not saying they aren't gash, just that it never really bothered me in RE4.

If you've played the GC version you'll pick up on the graphics, but I can't understand anyone playing it on PS2 for the first time and hating it. It's a world of awesome in 16:9 widescreen and Pro Logic II surround sound. People who don't like RE4 don't like fun.

Then you can play with the GC controller. It supports it.

Wow. Then why doesn't Mercury Meltdown Revolution support the GC pad or the analogue stick on the nunchuk?

Anyway, GC pad support will make for some interesting control comparisons.

I think that's not true, to be good at RE4 requires a great deal of stick accuracy.

Perhaps it's because, as the kids say, my "skills" "shit ninjas".

My most recent RE4ing *has* been with the Sixaxis on my PS3 though, and the sticks on that are a lot less gash than the DSs.

• 4 weeks later...

Wooh yeah!

I finished this two days ago. I have had the US cube version since launch and have been very slowly inching through it ever since :huh:

Cool game and I am looking forwrd to trying the two new modes or whatever they are. Ada wong!

Resident Evil 4, what an amazing game. Looking forward to PAL Wii version too; I don't even mind the fact I already finished the game several times before.

Does anyone know if there are any graphical updates in the Wii version? Saw the PCversion some days ago and it actually looked worse than the GC/PS2 version.. Hope they'll do something different with the Wii version.