IGNORED

Ebay Hunter

RichM

Thought you guys might like this...

hunter.jpg

It's a simple little program I wrote to search ebay for me every five or so minutes looking for rare items. I run it from my startup folder and it's found me a few gems over the years that appear maybe once a month or so.

Thing is, I've never used it anywhere but this machine so it could fall over in a heap when used by someone else :( If it works, then I though it might be very useful to you guys? Some people might find it asks for missing files when it starts, so let me know if it does.

http://www.btinternet.com/~rmorgan/ebayhunter/EbayHunter.exe

When you first start it up, you might get a warning from your virus software saying it's trying to communicate with the internet. All it's doing is pulling down the .INI file it needs to know how to talk to ebay.

Rich

component 'msinet.ocx' not correctly registered: file is missing or invalid.

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while so it'll be great if it gets working.

I was thinking about writing some code to interogate ebay to do averages of finishing prices for certain items and the like but I'm not too hot on how to incorporate web interogations like this into code.

Bugger!!!

I have a full install version if someone wants to give it a try. It should contain every file needed all wrapped up. Would like someone really to try it on a spare pc first to make sure it installs ok!!

Any volunteers? :(

I was thinking about writing some code to interogate ebay to do averages of finishing prices for certain items and the like but I'm not too hot on how to incorporate web interogations like this into code.

I was going to expand this to do just that at one point but never got round to it. Problem with ebay is they change their page designs so regularly, it's a real problem trying to keep up!

Rich

Good stuff. I've just updated it a bit too. Now you can select if it pops up or not when something changes as well as adding in a little bit more internal error checking so it doesn't crash when it see's something it doesn't like!

Just download again from the .EXE link above!

Also forgot to say - Clicking on one of the lines it's searching for should bring up the results on ebay in a seperate window.

Rich

Is this capable of looking for items ending soon?

if not could it be modified to only find items ending in a few mins at a certain price?

It could be modified to do that but that's not really what it does. It's made to alert you to items that don't appear very often and give you a possible chance to be the first to see them and maybe even "buy it now" if there is one.

Anyone experiencing a bug where it keeps reporting back "-" as the number of items found? I will look in to this tonight. If you do, reloading the program and making sure you have a net connection at the time sorts it.

Rich

It could be modified to do that but that's not really what it does.  It's made to alert you to items that don't appear very often and give you a possible chance to be the first to see them and maybe even "buy it now" if there is one.

Rich

I would use it for the purpose its intended, but I know my gf would apreciate something that finds things that are ending as she gets upset about being outbid.

I was just wondering how it works and if it was possible to edit it to do both functions.

That other file has got the program working, thanks. I did a search for 'rappy' as I just had a favourite searches email sent to me to alert me of a new item. Ebay Hunter however, said there were no matches. But, double clicking the term rappy on the list opens an IE page (any chance you could make it use Firefox instead) and there are 2 listings, both from international sellers. Is this a UK auction only tool?

That other file has got the program working, thanks. I did a search for 'rappy' as I just had a favourite searches email sent to me to alert me of a new item. Ebay Hunter however, said there were no matches. But, double clicking the term rappy on the list opens an IE page (any chance you could make it use Firefox instead) and there are 2 listings, both from international sellers. Is this a UK auction only tool?

Download it again and you should now find it'll do UK and worldwide auctions too.

Glad to hear people are getting it to work.