Finished English Hotd4, Mario Kart Arcade Gp

Super Lurker

So still, any clues as to where this mystery expo was held then?

By the by, I think the Troc has Drummania 3 along with some totally ancient version of Beatmania, again the 3rd mix IIRC. But you're right, Drummania does seem to get played loads, although probably not as much as the various DDR machines around.

Trust me, mate, there are fare more influential factors involved in why arcades have died that have nothing to do with niche games' card-based gaming systems.

There is one huge reason that arcades have died in the West and that is that the vast majority of gamers (and i'm not just refering to 'casuals'. Knowledgable gamers are just as bad) these days aren't interested in playing games that require skill. If they can't succeed at something within a few goes then they give it up as a bad job and go straight back to either something a lot easier with no learning curve or an interactive story which is what a lot of home games are these days. You've only got to look at Outrun 2 online to see proof of this. Most people play with Catch Up enabled which removes any requirement of skill to win and if they can't play with that enabled then they'll quit after a couple of goes instead of actually wanting to learn from you and get better themselves.

And please don't give me the 'but if they didn't cost £1 a go' bullshit argument. Most balk at buying an home conversion of an arcade title for £40 that they can play as often as they want. So what chance have arcade operators got in making their money back on a £10k + dedicated arcade machine no matter what they charge. Sure people might have a couple of goes instead of just one, but it always comes back to the initial point...most gamers these days want everything handed on a plate to them which for obvious time constraints an arcade game can't do.

"They’ve ruined a title that could have brought people back to the arcade"

I've never heard such a pointlessly optimistic statement in my entire life.

Trust me, mate, there are fare more influential factors involved in why arcades have died that have nothing to do with niche games' card-based gaming systems.

The point is that Mario Kart is *NOT* niche. It has amazing recognition factor - I've mentioned it to a few of my mates who normally couldn't give a shit about arcades and they seem to be frothing at the mouth to play it. HOWEVER, with the IC card system, they have a constant reminder in their wallet to go back and play to up their ranking. Plus the fact the whole game is designed around the card system (just like VF4:Evo) and has now had it's guts wrenched out by Namco Europe who are at the end of the day just a distributor is what gets me. Can you imagine Initial D with no card system? It would be shit.

And please don't give me the 'but if they didn't cost £1 a go' bullshit argument. Most

Problem is mate, at £1 most people would only play once. At 50p a go, I'm sure people would have three or four goes, would be more likely to play versus and would see their skill improve more.

I also think that the whole atmosphere of arcades over here doesn't help - you *have* to stand up to play everything bar sit down deluxe drivers, they are dark, smelly and most people go their just to kill some time by standing about. Standing up to play fighters or puzzle games or sports games or pretty much anything apart from light gun games is naff.

Yet another big arcade expo, yet again no plans for Konami to bring over their other (FAR SUPERIOR) Bemani games like Beatmania, Pop'n Music and GF/DM...

Seriously, if they could only see (or even hear) about how much the DrumMania V machine in the Troc in London gets played they'd realise how much money they could make.

Konami weren't even there mate. I've spoken to them on numerous occasions about this anyway, and they couldn't care less. Guitar Freaks STILL hasn't broken even at the Troc in about five years, Pop'n'Music was location tested two years ago and was pretty much ignored and IIDX is FAR too expensive to sell to UK places. Frankly, they'd rather keep selling bollocks like Thrilldrive than any new Bemani.

Problem is mate, at £1 most people would only play once. At 50p a go, I'm sure people would have three or four goes, would be more likely to play versus and would see their skill improve more.

I'm not going to say you're wrong. However, in my experience, when i've been to arcades with less then 'serious' arcade players, but still dedicated gamers then the cost of a credit doesn't seem to make much of a difference. For instance, where i play Special Tours all the machines (and i'm talking about stuff like Initial D v3, Virtua Cop 3 and Ghost Squad as well as SP - decent 'new' stuff) are set to 50p per credit. Unless it's something that they can instantly 'do' or have played at home such as Time Crisis then they'll still have no more than a couple of attempts before giving up.

I also think that the whole atmosphere of arcades over here doesn't help - you *have* to stand up to play everything bar sit down deluxe drivers, they are dark, smelly and most people go their just to kill some time by standing about. Standing up to play fighters or puzzle games or sports games or pretty much anything apart from light gun games is naff.

Again, my experience is completely different. In the few arcades that i visit that actually have any fighters or puzzle games at all, they are always in the big sit down Megalo 50 projection cabinets or something similar. I can't honestly remember seeing a stand up Electrocoin style cabinet outside of a pub or grotty cafe in the last 5+ years. They aren't dark and dingy either, most are within shopping centres or family amusment centres and are usually nicer inside than many Japanese game centres, which although well stocked with perfectly working, mint cabs are often pretty scruffy. If the operators could remove the teenage yob element from UK arcades that have no intention of doing anything other than damaging machines then i wouldn't have a problem with the atmosphere at all.

• 2 months later...

So I've jus played this in the Trocadero... it's a bit... well... meh.

Visuals are OKish (next gen graphics=last gen+the same monster X 1,000,000), the monitor is fucking HUUUUGE and lush, though.

No afterburner yet, though :)

Also, I've got really bad at gun games, or the difficulty has been significantly ramped up. The 'shake your gun' things also sucks.

Virtua Cop 2 > Ghost Squad > Confidential Mission > HotD2 > VC3 > HotD4.