IGNORED

Sony Platformers : Ratchet Vs. Jak

Swaain

Over the years I have collected the Ratchet & Clank and the Jak & Daxter series. A closer inspection of my backlog, however, has revealed that there's no chance I'll get to play all of these games - plus, I don't need six other 3D platformers when I've already developed a strong affinity for the Sly Cooper games.

As a consequence, of the six games mentioned above (3R&C+3J&D), I've decided I would probably only play three, and sell of the others. Now Is there a big difference in quality? Should I go for one of the series (meaning I get to transfer saves), or should I try mixing them up - e.g., R&C 1+2 and J&D 3? I've "tried" all of these games for a short while, but I must say that when I look at the first few levels I don't see a massive difference in quality. Reviews aren't always very informative either.

PS : I've posted this in "discussion" rather than in "ask the forum" because I'd like to read - if you bother writing them - a few arguments pro & contra the different series/games. That's more informative than a "play these games first" list thread - cheers!

Tricky.I haven't played Jak 3 so can't comment on that but...

Ratchet 2 has to be the list, and Ratchet 3 is definitely good fun.

The problem I have in deciding is that the cut scenes in Jak 2 are absolutely superb (the bomb one especially) but I'm not sure that they are worth the amount of gameplay you'll need to do if your time is limited.

I've played Jak1 and R&C 1&2.

They were all really nice games, although I won't be buying any more of either series. I've heard bad things about Jak 2 and 3, which look like they missed the point of the first game and while the first 2 R&C games were top quality and faultless, I don't want to play any more.

I would suggest you just play Jak1 and R&C1, which are both excellent.

Yes - finished it, loved it to bits. the sequel was different but excellent too. It's the j&d and r&c games I'm not sure of.

;) that's the problem with platform games, opinions are so subjective!

you've just gotta play a few hours and see what you think.

I thought Jak & Daxter was utter shite ;) One of the most dull, generic and totally unimaginative platformers I've ever played. It's basically Crash Bandicoot in a 3D environment, with a load of silly collectables and devoid of any fun. Totally overrated.

Ratchet & Clank 3 was my favourite out of all of them, so I'd definitely go with the R&C series. Saying that, you might want to mix it up a bit and add J&D1 in there- so I think Sprite Machine and Zico have hit the nail on the head.

Otherwise, I would look into the Sly Racoon series- especially the first sequel (though the third installment is out soon for a decent price...). But the best platformer this gen is Klonoa 2, so sell them all and get that.

Personally I think Jak 2 is fantastic. Massive, varied, charming.

The majority of bad press it gets seems to be from people expecting just another platform game. But it's so much more - platforming, racing, shooting. And such fantastic environments and characters.

One of the few games I played through to the end this gen.

Jak 1 is rubbish Rare platform collect a thon clone. Jak II is excellent. Challenging, funny. annoying in equal measure you should give it a chance. Jak 3 is a watered down retread of Jak II with a lower difficulty level but much more varied. I never liked the Ratchet games but both Sly Raccoons are well worth getting, Sly 2 in particular.

I loved Jak & Daxter, but hated Jak II with a passion. Never bothered with the third installment. The Ratchet games always start off well, but I always find myself getting bored of them midway through.

Yeah, Jak II was clearly pretty good and I'd wager most of the moaners haven't even played it but simply labelled it as a GTA clone right off the bat.

No. I'm sure you'll find most who disliked the game were fans of the original who wanted more of the same, but found the game evolved in a direction they really disliked.

I enjoyed J&D 1 more than R&C (which I haven't quite finished yet). I prefer more of a pure platformer than shooting stuff.

Played a bit of Jak3 (having missed 2 because of all the negativity) and it's ok, so far I've spent most of my time driving buggies around a desert - not platformy enough for me I think

I've recently helped somebody get through the Jak trilogy, and he's just finished R&C 3. I think he enjoyed Jak more, but he is only 10. Some of the vehicle sections in Jak are annoy as hell, though.

From my brief observations of R&C3, it is much more of a shooter/platformer, than the other way around, but I'm not sure if that is a fair representation of the game.

I've got all 6 games as well as Sly Racoon 1

Heres my order of preference

1 - Jak and Daxter

In my top 10 games of all time

2 - Sly Racoon

Utterly brilliant

3 - Jak 3

Great fun and much better than 2

4 - Ratchet and Clank 3

Some awfully spaced re-start points, but fanastic fun apart from that

5 - Ratchet and Clank

Good fun and very easy to control

6 - Jak 2

Good, but just too damn hard for a wimp like me

7 - Ratchet and Clank 2

Avoid - poor compared to the other 2

Jak 1 - did nothing new but did bolt-together existing ideas just about perfectly - the Precursor Bowl 'level' with the flying hovership thingy is more fun than many other entire games for example :blink:

Jak 2 and 3 - left me totally cold thanks to a mixture of repetition, hacking around to find missions and mean, tiresome timed challenges.

R&C - I loved this from the start and played it thru 3-4 times to get every possible unlockable - just a pleasure to play soup-to-nuts IMO.

R&C 2 - better than the first in every possible way.

R&C 3 - better than the first 2 put together in every possible way.

You may get the idea I like R&C - which I do - it is the DEFINITIVE 3rd-person shooter IMO - and the only thing I worry about is that they cannot keep making it better forever!!

I absolutely loved the original Ratchet and Clank, but I thought the third one had moved a little too far away from its platforming roots. It's still a good game, but the huge focus on shooting made it a little repetitive after a while.

As for the J&D series, I've only played the second one. I hated it. The platforming bits are quite fun, but the city was an excercise in frustration. I really like the look of the original though, and should really look at picking it up sometime.

I merely liked the original J&D. Never grabbed me enough to invest in any of it's brothers/cousins though. Sly couldn't hold my interest for more then two hours either.

On the other hand I greatly enjoyed Klonoa 2 and both the Maximo games.

Hm. The majority opinion seems to be that I should start off with the R&C games... But then again, there's been some strong supporters of J&D too. You guys don't make it easy... :(

Ah well, I'll start out with Ratchet 1-3 and if I like them but feel like I'm done with 3D platformers I'll sell of the J&Ds. If I feel I can "take" more, I'll give J&D a shot too. That's going to take me a lot of time, but then again I'm not in a hurry. Still, I will take note of the flaws that seem to plague the recent J&D games, and I will definitely not be as patient/lenient with them as with the R&C ones... seeing they don't have the benefit of the doubt anymore!

Thanks for the many replies. You've all been very helpful!

The thing is, R&C aren't really 3D Platformers, in the traditional sense at least. They're like a fusion of light 3D Platforming and 3rd-person shooting, with an emphasis on the shooting.

I went in expecting masses of platforming but I was left disappointed, it wasn't until I went back to them with the mindset that they're geared towards shooting things that I started to enjoy them.

I've never played a R&C game.

Can I just jump in with the second or third instalment or should I really play them through in order?

You can certainly jump right into #2 or even #3 but many of the characters in #1 reappear throughout the series.

Personally I'd recommend doing them in order - they are all very good.

Nobody's mentioned the STUPID cat catching bit that grinds Jak1 to a complete halt. I got stuck there, and I know3 other people who never got past that bit. Round and round a bit of an island chasing some stupid artist's cat. Everyone I know who got past it admitted it was a fluke that they caught the fucking thing.

Dreadful mistake that. To make so many people stop playing the game, just dreadful.