IGNORED

Shattered Union. Xbox, Pc

Stroker Ace

I'm looking forward to this one. Partially because I try every new turn-based strategy game that comes out, partially because it's developed by the guys who did Railroad Tycoon, but mostly because it looks to me to be a western, Live-enabled remake of Daisenryaku.

It has a lot of features in common with the Daisenryaku combat system, but has polished it off with lovely graphics and a very nice looking base-building system. You actually have to fight your way across America's states, taking them individually and using their resources to feed your campaign. But during any game turn, you might get attacked, too, so you can't put all your eggs in one basket whilst on the attack - you'll need to defend the bases you already hold, too.

Brilliantly, you can use atomic weapons and other hilarious weapons of mass destruction, but the more evil you are, the less likely you'll be to be welcomed into a new area by the populace. You can be a brutal dictator or a glorious liberator.

shatteredunion28ei.jpg

shatteredunion34ub.jpg

shatteredunion200506240300wm.jpg

shatteredunion200508240621hz.jpg

Information here:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/644/644915p2.html

http://pc.ign.com/articles/628/628992p1.html

http://www.2kgames.com/shatteredunion/

A turn-based strategy game is best played via e-mail, so how well it'll work on Live I have no idea. Playing head-to-head might get a bit dull, as units flood the battlefield and turns get long. I'd love to see a play-by-mail system implemented into the next XBox Live (I believe it's been mentioned) so we can play nice games of chess or other strategy titles at our leisure.

I'm a big fan of play-by-mail games. None better than Laser Squad Nemesis and X-Com.

Digression aside, it looks very promising and it's out in America next week. I have my doubts about a European release, certainly for the XBox version, but if anyone knows otherwise, do say. I'll be playing it on Live, if it turns out to be as good as I'm hoping.

saw the first pic and though, oooh, Risk II on a console. Then I scrolled down...

It's CnC Generals.

then I read it was turn-based, and I got a strange sensation in my tummy :angry:

Seriously. In this day and age isn't it possible that if it's NOT realtime then it could lose out in terms of Gamers ADD?

Digression aside, it looks very promising and it's out in America next week.  I have my doubts about a European release, certainly for the XBox version, but if anyone knows otherwise, do say.  I'll be playing it on Live, if it turns out to be as good as I'm hoping.

According to Gameplay it's out on both the Xbox and PC on the 21st.

LINK

It certainly looks different, but I have a feeling it could end up on the frustrating side of slow paced. Here's hoping though.

EDIT: As for the "giant" tanks, was that ever a problem in Advance Wars?

Excellent stuff.

As ever, these things tend to work fine against the super-fast AI, but less so against your slow-as-shit friends. This is why turn-based games work best in play-by-mail situations.

Hope this turns out good, I have a hankering for a modern setting strategy game after all the Nippon Ichi fantasy games.

Wonder if you'll be able to roll a tank over the white house?

Alas, no. Washington DC gets an atomic bomb dropped on it at the start of the game - that's what triggers the breakdown of the USA. The European Union arrive to provide aid, and that's their start location.

then I read it was turn-based, and I got a strange sensation in my tummy ;)

Seriously. In this day and age isn't it possible that if it's NOT realtime then it could lose out in terms of Gamers ADD?

Of course it is. But fuck those guys. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Not everyone plays Cricket games either, but you don't see people on forums saying "But wait, aren't they at risk of losing out on people who don't like Cricket?"

There's a small but loyal fanbase for TBS - people like me who buy every new one, just to try it out. Furthermore, thanks to Advance Wars, many more people are coming to the genre and finding that it's just as rewarding and thrilling as a real time game.

Turn based strategy. The thinking man's fun.

Why are the tanks bigger than the cities?

That's exactly what I was thinking, it looks really weird and I cant help focussing on how out of place they look :s

Because it's not to scale.

Do you play Advance Wars and moan that the little guys are the size of the cities, too? That's the way strategy games often work - you use different scales for the units and the bases. This is why in Daisenryaku you have helicopters the same size as soldiers, or why in Advance Wars a single man is the same size as a battleship. One helicopter represents MANY helicopters, one man represents MANY men. It's to make it more accessible.

Some games choose to do stuff to scale (Front Mission for instance), and you'll have smaller units battling in city streets. Here, the game is trying to represent truly massive war, so we can assume that one tank actually represents MANY tanks. When you see one huge tank holding a city, pretend that there's several tanks, spread across the streets.

Think of it as a board game. The dog is the same size as the houses in Monopoly. The fact that they're not to scale is totally irrelevant. It's for clarity and accessibility.

That I even have to explain it, and that it's even an issue makes my brain bleed.

Yeah, been playing it for the last few hours. As predicted, it's a western, (greatly) simplified and more accessable Daisenryaku with nicer graphics and a superb campaign mode.

It's pretty tough, even for an old TBS player like me. This isn't Advance Wars - it's complex and a total cunt to lose at because a single loss can cost you the entire campaign. The AI is utterly savage and will always go after you when you're at your weakest and there's no clever way to exploit it.

I honestly don't see how it'll work on Live, since your average turn takes about a quarter of an hour to play out. Throw any ideas you had about playing versus games on the XBox out of the window - you could literally spend three or four hours on a single game. That would be fine over the course of a month, playing by mail, but not hotseat.

The campaign is nice way to spend an evening - it could easily last a few weeks to go through it once, and every time you restart, it'll be completely different.

Shattered Union is good. Daisenryaku VII is better, but then it should be, it's had seventeen years of playtesting to get everything right. The only thing Daisenryaku is lacking is Union's marvellous campaign game. It's that campaign that makes the game so great.

I like it. Recommended only if you're well into the genre, though. If you're just someone who kinda likes Advance Wars a bit, run for the hills. It's not as crazy complex as Daisenryaku (where you can even adjust the heights that planes are flying at), but still very "old school" and unforgiving.

It's a lot like North and South, for sure.

I'm regularly kicking the piss out of the computer now. It's a hard bastard, but you just have to remember to be as strong on defence as you are on attack, and move in groups, since a unit alone is fucking dead.

Edit: And now I've just ordered Dai Senryaku.

A good choice. Be warned, the learning curve is like this:

Run20Case6.gif

It's a game design for people who have played one or two of the other twenty games in the series, but since they never got a western release, DSVII drops us in at the deep end a bit.

If you're getting both, play Shattered Union first. It's like a "lite" version of Daisenryaku and should get you well ready for it.

I really wish Daisenryaku had the brilliant campaign game from Shattered Union. It's the campaign that makes it, though I also prefer the way that Shattered Union handles air power.

Well, that was an interesting 'quick go'. I've just spent 8 hours playing the damn thing, and I'm now firmly in the '"it's very nice indeed" camp.

Those screenshots on the first page, though... how misleading can you get? It barely even LOOKS anything like that in-game.

It's a lot like North and South, for sure.

I'm regularly kicking the piss out of the computer now.  It's a hard bastard, but you just have to remember to be as strong on defence as you are on attack, and move in groups, since a unit alone is fucking dead.

A good choice.  Be warned, the learning curve is like this:

Run20Case6.gif

It's a game design for people who have played one or two of the other twenty games in the series, but since they never got a western release, DSVII drops us in at the deep end a bit.

If you're getting both, play Shattered Union first.  It's like a "lite" version of Daisenryaku and should get you well ready for it.

I really wish Daisenryaku had the brilliant campaign game from Shattered Union.  It's the campaign that makes it, though I also prefer the way that Shattered Union handles air power.

Hard, my arse. At least on normal, anyway. It's hilarious taking two humvees into battle on their own and watching your enemy crumble and retreat.

Still, it's very good, but not something you can really play on Live, I'd imagine (nice of them to stick the option in there, though)

Hard, my arse. At least on normal, anyway. It's hilarious taking two humvees into battle on their own and watching your enemy crumble and retreat.

:D

I've been rolling in with entire batallions only to be humiliatingly torn apart by the AI, on "easy". Then again I suck, and have never played a proper TBS game before unless you count Advance Wars.

Unlike Advance Wars Shattered Union really throws you in at the deep end doesn't it? When I spotted the Tutorial option I was expecting some handy AW style walkthrough missions to bring you up to speed. Instead they just explain the basic controls and nuances. Like I said I've never played a game like this before, so failing miserably without really knowing what I'm doing wrong is getting annoying.

Anyone have any advice? <_<

:D

I've been rolling in with entire batallions only to be humiliatingly torn apart by the AI, on "easy". Then again I suck, and have never played a proper TBS game before unless you count Advance Wars.

Unlike Advance Wars Shattered Union really throws you in at the deep end doesn't it? When I spotted the Tutorial option I was expecting some handy AW style walkthrough missions to bring you up to speed. Instead they just explain the basic controls and nuances. Like I said I've never played a game like this before, so failing miserably without really knowing what I'm doing wrong is getting annoying.

Anyone have any advice? <_<

If your combined unit strength is higher than the AI's, it's likely they'll run for the hills if you send as little as two humvees in to attack :P

I'd say it's one of the easier games I've played recently, though saying that, I'm nowhere near beating the campaign yet.

In my defence, I started on Hard and have stuck with Hard.

Finished the campaign by cleverly letting my enemies bash the shit out of one another and then picking up the pieces.

Not so good when they all turn their eyes to your land, though :)

I tend to play defensively in all strategy games, from Rebelstar to Starcraft to Daisenryaku and of course, this. By staying on the defensive, you can tackle a much more powerful force with a small army so long as you don't allow yourself to get surrounded, so I invite invasion - defend with as few units as I can, and then hit back with a strong force while they're unable to use the bulk of their army.

The "Normal" difficulty setting is piss easy. The harder setting is savage, but not so much tougher in the tactics ytou have to employ - more in the relentlessness of the AI and their desire to always go after you when you've just had to fight off someone else. I completed it on Normal as a "good guy" and I just finished it this evening on Hard as a "bad guy" - "bad guy" gets a much more satisfying ending.

The final Alaska mission is a big disappointment on any difficulty setting.