Foo Fighters

Thread Owner

I think Ryan Davis (RIP) once said, in an uncharitable moment, that the Foo Fighters were no one's favourite band.  Well, they are mine and this is horribly sad news.  I've seen them a couple of times live and they were ace.

His poor family.

16 hours ago, Bucky said:

I think Ryan Davis (RIP) once said, in an uncharitable moment, that the Foo Fighters were no one's favourite band.

I was shocked by the news and of course feel heartbroken for his wife and children, friends and the Foo's. However they have somehow become the Hard Rock version of U2. They're very popular, make (or did make) great singles and play massive shows. But you never hear them mentioned as an influence by newer bands. There's respect there because Dave Grohl was the drummer in Nirvana. And that the first Foo's album is a masterpiece that he made on his own. 

Anyway RIP Taylor Hawkins. He seemed like a good bloke who had the grapefruits to audition to be the drummer in Dave Grohl's band. And did it successfully for 25 years.

6 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I was shocked by the news and of course feel heartbroken for his wife and children, friends and the Foo's. However they have somehow become the Hard Rock version of U2. They're very popular, make (or did make) great singles and play massive shows. But you never hear them mentioned as an influence by newer bands. There's respect there because Dave Grohl was the drummer in Nirvana. And that the first Foo's album is a masterpiece that he made on his own. 

Anyway RIP Taylor Hawkins. He seemed like a good bloke who had the grapefruits to audition to be the drummer in Dave Grohl's band. And did it successfully for 25 years.

Definitely the time to find out what Hanzo thinks of the Foo Fighters. 

• 5 months later...

Yes, the whole thing, sitting in the garden with friends enjoying some great tunes, wine and food.

Personal highlights were John Paul Jones, Lars & Brian, Rush, Queen, and the Foo’s with guest drummers.  It was a great celebration and send off.

#RIPTaylor

Well, what a day/ afternoon/ night!!

git up, went to a disappointing Carboot sale, got my lift to a hotel in Park Royal.

we arrived at 12 ish, check in was after 3pm, so we got changed, checked the bags in, and hopped in an unlicensed taxi with a random German girl who was in the smoking area with us.

£20 later, we’re at Wembley! Stopped for food, went to the mercy stand and then waited in line.

got in the arena at 14:45 ish, they were NOT hanging around getting you in.

Mark Ronson popped up around 15:45 time, playing some rock tracks and getting the crowd warmed up, 16:20 and I notice there is a countdown timer bobbing away…. It’s getting close 😳

at bang on 16:30, Dave and the band come out, Dave has some emotional words to say, gets the crowd in the right frame of mind, and then proceeds to take to the drums as Liam Gallagher smashes out some Oasis classics, what a fucking way to start a gig!!

after this, we’ll, you e all seen the video, it was just pure brilliance and anymore words will not do it justice, just THE fucking best show I’ve been to!!

I tuned in just as Supergrass were finishing up, and then watched it to the end. Was really enjoyable, and some fantastic performances. 

I found this hit harder than the Freddie Mercury tribute (which we taped off telly and watched loads back in the day), in that Queen had a different relationship with Freddie, and also his death wasn’t a surprise.

Difference here is clearly Dave and others (Josh Homme, damn) are still reeling/grieving.

This felt more like a really good wake, the ones where you get drunk and laugh as much as cry, as you share stories and see people you haven’t seen for ages. 

10 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

I tuned in just as Supergrass were finishing up, and then watched it to the end. Was really enjoyable, and some fantastic performances. 

I found this hit harder than the Freddie Mercury tribute (which we taped off telly and watched loads back in the day), in that Queen had a different relationship with Freddie, and also his death wasn’t a surprise.

Difference here is clearly Dave and others (Josh Homme, damn) are still reeling/grieving.

This felt more like a really good wake, the ones where you get drunk and laugh as much as cry, as you share stories and see people you haven’t seen for ages. 

Just curious what you mean by this? 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Just curious what you mean by this? 

Well the structure of the concert was much the same as the Freddie Mercury one (bunch of acts playing stuff by themselves mostly, then joining the main act to play the classics, etc). 

But the Freddie one felt more reserved, likely because Queen had been able to come to terms with Freddie dying. 

This is a similar kind of concert, but Dave and others are clearly still really hurting. 

I think Queen were still grieving as well - it's just none of them are really the sort to outwardly display it. By all accounts John Deacon has never got over Freddie dying. 

Good to see Queen last night - could've done without Roger Taylor singing though but appreciate why it happened. 

20 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Well the structure of the concert was much the same as the Freddie Mercury one (bunch of acts playing stuff by themselves mostly, then joining the main act to play the classics, etc). 

But the Freddie one felt more reserved, likely because Queen had been able to come to terms with Freddie dying. 

This is a similar kind of concert, but Dave and others are clearly still really hurting. 

Well, it's closer to the event.

Apparently Brain May had a near collapse immediately prior to the Freddie Mercury gig and needed a huge push just to get onstage. he played really badly that night too.

As Stoppy2000 says, John Deacon is not a man to show his emotions easily but he basically packed in his music career as he couldn't deal with Freddie's absence.