IGNORED

Gaming On The Go.

keineboom

I've recently been sucked in to Advance Wars DS and Castlevania and am yet to be spat out the other side. I'd love to be able to devote more time to these games, but I would feel like a complete tit playing whipping my DS out on the bus or train. Likewise if I saw someone else on public transport playing a DS or PSP I would consider them to be either a show off or a geek/child molester 'look at my handheld, kiddies!'

So my question is, do you play games in public, and are you completely confident about this? Or do you find a secluded spot on the bus/train and play surreptitously?

What's it to be?

Err I pretty much only play my PSP or DS on the tube to work and I'm niether a show off or a geek/child molester 'look at my handheld, kiddies!'

Just a dad trying to get as much gaming in to as little time as possible...

Cheers

Quexex

...I would feel like a complete tit playing whipping my DS out on the bus or train.

I think that's just you, keineboom.

Suggestion: just do it more often, you'll get used to it, and soon you won't even notice it.

I want to get a pink DS with Nintendogs to whip out on the tube. I wonder if it could help me hook up with chicks.

So my question is, do you play games in public, and are you completely confident about this? Or do you find a secluded spot on the bus/train and play surreptitously?

Yeah, I play my DS in public, and I'm confident about it. I enjoy playing it, so why should I give a shit what other people think? ;) I really don't see how its so different from reading a book or newspaper on your journey.

I've recently been sucked in to Advance Wars DS and Castlevania and am yet to be spat out the other side. I'd love to be able to devote more time to these games, but I would feel like a complete tit playing whipping my DS out on the bus or train. Likewise if I saw someone else on public transport playing a DS or PSP I would consider them to be either a show off or a geek/child molester 'look at my handheld, kiddies!'

What's it to be?

As opposed to someone using a handheld in the way it was intended to be used? I play my DS on the train to and from work every day, it's not like I'm playing it a foot from someone's face shouting "I'M PLAYING FUCKING MARIO NINTENDOGS! THIS IS AWESOME GRAPHICS!".

I've never had a problem about playing a handheld console in public, but then I pretty much think people that are ashamed/scared of doing so are afraid that gaming in all it's so called new "coolness" is still actually still seen as a geeky thing to do.

As opposed to someone using a handheld in the way it was intended to be used? I play my DS on the train to and from work every day, it's not like I'm playing it a foot from someone's face shouting "I'M PLAYING FUCKING MARIO NINTENDOGS! THIS IS AWESOME GRAPHICS!".

I think you'd be to busy dealing with the grammar police to worry about your DS.

Well, I'm not going to diss anyone that does play handhelds on public transport but I just can't do it. Strangely I don't seem to care on planes though, go figure.

I'd just feel like too much of a twat, especially in the pub or somewhere like that. Maybe if I was playing Wipeout Pure I could pull it off, "getting down wiv da yoof" and all that, but I'd thoroughly expect, and probably deserve, a good kicking if I was playing Nintendogs down the boozer.

Well, I'm not going to diss anyone that does play handhelds on public transport but I just can't do it. Strangely I don't seem to care on planes though, go figure.

I'd just feel like too much of a twat, especially in the pub or somewhere like that. Maybe if I was playing Wipeout Pure I could pull it off, "getting down wiv da yoof" and all that, but I'd thoroughly expect, and probably deserve, a good kicking if I was playing Nintendogs down the boozer.

I'd never play a console in a pub right enough. Although to be honest I think anyone who drinks alone in a pub is a bit of a sad bastard, and I wouldn't ignore my mates to play an game if we are out.

I've recently been sucked in to Advance Wars DS and Castlevania and am yet to be spat out the other side. I'd love to be able to devote more time to these games, but I would feel like a complete tit playing whipping my DS out on the bus or train.

I never understand this. Some people you'll never see again will find out you play games? Oh noes...

Likewise if I saw someone else on public transport playing a DS or PSP I would consider them to be either a show off or a geek/child molester 'look at my handheld, kiddies!'

Well then, you're being a bit of a idiot.

So my question is, do you play games in public, and are you completely confident about this?

Yes, I am completely confident about this.

I don't play DS on my tube journey to work very much, to be honest (because it's a 10 minute journey on a packed carriage), but I love having it for longer train journeys.

Also, I'm looking forward to having a Micro that I can just carry around with me all the time and play on packed tubes, at bus stops, in the queue for a train ticket etc.

Maybe a Micro is the handheld for you, keineboom, and anyone else who can't get their head round the concept of taking something like a DS on the train. Another masterstroke from Nintendo?

When I had to take the bus to college every day I played Yoshi's Island whilst on the top deck - fewer people there. Once I got into the game as it were, I didn't much care about what impression I gave to onlookers as I was too busy trying to avoid Fuzzies and rescuing Baby Mario.

I'd never play a console in a pub right enough. Although to be honest I think anyone who drinks alone in a pub is a bit of a sad bastard, and I wouldn't ignore my mates to play an game if we are out.

I'm more than happy to drink alone in a pub, there's always something to do - read the paper, talk to the drunken barflies, play dominoes with the barman, chuck a few quid in the fruitie etc.

But I wouldn't have the balls to play my DS in the pub, certainly not Nintendogs at any rate.

:unsure:

I haven't whipped it (my DS) out in public yet, I would feel a bit self-conscious I think. I'll get used to it, I'm sure.

I play my DS all the time on the way to and from work on the train. It's something to do. Although, I have just ordered Phoenix Wright for it, I might get some funny looks when I start yelling "Objection!" in the middle of a packed carriage.

I play my DS all the time on the way to and from work on the train. It's something to do. Although, I have just ordered Phoenix Wright for it, I might get some funny looks when I start yelling "Objection!" in the middle of a packed carriage.

Exactly, it's more to do with the way the DS works. I doubt I'd worry about playing Zoo Keeper or something on the train but shouting "I love you!" to Project Rub is right out.

Right out I tells ya.

:unsure:

I play on my gbmicro all the time since I bought it.

One of the best consoles I've owned due to it's portability.

I have no problems playing games in public and it seems that a lot of people in HK play games whilst travelling so I don't feel like a geek.

A girl was even asking me about my puppy in Nintendogs the other day, she had a JAP copy of the game so I had to explain that we couldn't do the whole bark mode thing. She seemed quite disappointed.... she was only 11 and she's a student of mine.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to see someone with Nintendogs trying to play it subtly, whispering into the mic while pretending to go through their bag or something.

Slim chance. :unsure:

I tried playing the wario ware blowing games on a plane journey on the sly