IGNORED

Press Start Online

Rudderless

What?

It's confusingly put across, yeah. But there is a point in there (somewhere...). The game has a black humour to it. It looks quite cute and innocent at first but there's a twisted side to the game. The game is not as innocent as it looks basically, which you may already know and just wanted to point out that the sentence isn't very clear.

Deathofcows isn't a member here, is he? It'd be nice to hear his thoughts....

To hear the sentence explained....

Yeah, I understood roughly what he was trying to convey, but it really is an awful sentence. It really does smack of I'm-better-than-you IMO, and that type of writing is never particularly good to read, I find.

It's not just that one line, though - I found the whole review a real chore to get through (and I know it's only a short one!). It made me think of somebody trying to out-edge Edge - and I know some other comments have describedit as being so.

The good thing about all this is that at least people are talking about it (and visiting the site I imagine). I can't recall any other new site that has garnered such attention for a while from here.

Probably been mentioned, but all the text is justified right in Opera for some reason.

That GHS review was worse than most of the rest of your content I've seen, which I actually quite like. I agree fully with Gabe's points and that line he quoted is dreadful, I don't want someone trying to be clever or funny when I read a review, I just want facts and opinions.

Any particular standouts?

The GHS review comments will certainly be taken on board. We want to try and get away a little bit from really dull "checklist" reviews that you get on a lot of sites, and, like you say, present the facts and opinions, but perhaps at times try something a little different. We're not going to do novelty reviews for the sake of it though.

Once again, thanks for the comments - rest assured that they're all discussed by the writing team, and hopefully it will help improve the site so more people visit in future.

*frantically rewrites Burnout Revenge review*

:blink:

That's not for the sake of it though, that's just doing something different whilst communicating the essentials expected of a "normal" review.

People have done "concept reviews" in the past - as long as it's not every one you're alright.

Oh, and the P. Harrison piece IS funny. I'm also biased, but again, I'd say that if it were on any other site.

That's not for the sake of it though, that's just doing something different whilst communicating the essentials expected of a "normal" review.

People have done "concept reviews" in the past - as long as it's not every one you're alright.

Oh, and the P. Harrison piece IS funny. I'm also biased, but again, I'd say that if it were on any other site.

Well we'll certainly disagree with that - I thought it was terrible.

And I know you like to bang on about being different, but so far all I see is that the only thing you have done different is used 'cunt' and 'fuck' and 'wankfest' in your writing.

And I know you like to bang on about being different, but so far all I see is that the only thing you have done different is used 'cunt' and 'fuck' and 'wankfest' in your writing.

Perhaps I should amend the topic title - Press Start: the sweariest gamesite around! :D

Coincidentally, I'm sure I used all those phrases whilst playing Trauma Center on the DS last night... :blink:

Guys,

Just read that P Harrison letter and it's really not good. Trying far, far too hard to be funny.

In fact, scratch that; trying far, far too hard to be Mr Biffo.

Sorry.

Doesn't the very fact that it reminds you of Biffo say anything about its quality though?

Anything that IS good, Nath?

Doesn't the very fact that it reminds you of Biffo say anything about its quality though?

As I've said before, Chris, I used to be a (half-arsed) music journalist.

I realised about two months into the job that reading any other music mags was a baaaaad idea. You just kind of take in opinions etc subconsciously.

I also find that if I'm reading a book, and I'm really into it, I pick up on the style. Ye'd nivir fucken guess ah wis readin Irvine Welsh at the moment would yiz, ya radge cunt.

(Apologies to all the Scots who are now cringing, btw.)

What this guy's trying to do is write a Mr Biffo piece. Not writing a comedy piece in his own style, or a review in Mr Biffo's style; he's writing a Mr Biffo piece in Mr Biffo's style, while not being as funny as Mr Biffo.

As I've said before, Chris, I used to be a (half-arsed) music journalist.

I realised about two months into the job that reading any other music mags was a baaaaad idea. You just kind of take in opinions etc subconsciously.

I also find that if I'm reading a book, and I'm really into it, I pick up on the style. Ye'd nivir fucken guess ah wis readin Irvine Welsh at the moment would yiz, ya radge cunt.

(Apologies to all the Scots who are now cringing, btw.)

What this guy's trying to do is write a Mr Biffo piece. Not writing a comedy piece in his own style, or a review in Mr Biffo's style; he's writing a Mr Biffo piece in Mr Biffo's style, while not being as funny as Mr Biffo.

Fairly do's. And you're only reading Irvine Welsh because Trainspotting was free with Esquire, you cheap bastard!

In answer to my other point, anything you like, sir?

Fairly do's. And you're only reading Irvine Welsh because Trainspotting was free with Esquire, you cheap bastard!

In answer to my other point, anything you like, sir?

"Glue", as it goes. Only one I've not read and blow me down if it isn't his best.

I've not read enough of it to pass comment, really. Will have a sit down with it at some point and let you know.

Wow, seems that the piece I wrote (A Letter) hasn't gone down too well, with the best thing anybody having to say about it (bar other PS writers) is "not too bad." It was never meant to be an attempt to mimmick Biffo, although I was a huge digi fan back in the day, and drop by his forum from time to time so I probably unconsciously come across as some sub-standard, cack-handed Biffowannabe. Anyhoo, thanks for the feedback anyway. It's a departure from the kind of stuff I've written before - some of which is lurking on the pages of this forums Review folder - and I'll make sure that future output isn't so comprehensively awful.

Love you x :blink:

That's fair enough. And I did understand that there would be people who wouldn't get it, as such.

I just thought it would be an interesting take on the Phil Harrison talks a whole of crap topic. Which I had hoped a couple of people would read, smile and move on with.

Also: the description given before about the toipic is a little way off. It's not about the absurdity of console wars and stuff. It's about Phil. And how he chats crap. Maybe not that funny. But whatever.

I've just been re-reading it now that I've twigged the gag. It's not bad actually, but probably a bit too long. I think it might have worked better as more of a running joke of short articles, rather than one long one.

I must say you're a patient bunch, most people would have cracked under the stream of 'help' you're getting from us here.

To be honest I'm quite enjoying the response from people who don't pussyfoot around. Sometimes things have to be told as people see them, and although I think some of the criticism we've taken is somewhat unwarranted, much of it's been really helpful.

I must say you're a patient bunch, most people would have cracked under the stream of 'help' you're getting from us here.

Actually we really appreciate the feedback we're getting here, as everywhere else on the web seems to be far too polite. ;)

I've just been re-reading it now that I've twigged the gag. It's not bad actually, but probably a bit too long. I think it might have worked better as more of a running joke of short articles, rather than one long one.

What I do find amusing is that we ask people for what they DO like about the site and it's literally like they're muttering about "some of the other stuff" without giving any examples, but everyone's lining up to slate the stuff they hate! ;)

I suppose hate is a stronger emotion than just liking something, so it's fair enough.

And it IS helpful - we do want to hear all opinions, positive or otherwise.

And it's not so much that everyone else is too polite, more that they say "great stuff" and not much else. We wouldn't mind if people said "really like it, BUT...", so I guess getting a pasting on here was a bit of a novelty. It's wearing off a bit now mind, but still... :D

What I do find amusing is that we ask people for what they DO like about the site and it's literally like they're muttering about "some of the other stuff" without giving any examples, but everyone's lining up to slate the stuff they hate!  ;)

I suppose hate is a stronger emotion than just liking something, so it's fair enough.

And it's not so much that everyone else is too polite, more that they say "great stuff" and not much else. We wouldn't mind if people said "really like it, BUT...", so I guess getting a pasting on here was a bit of a novelty. It's wearing off a bit now mind, but still... :D

If we can make this a 30 page long slagoff thread, we can start to compete with the monthy Games TM dissection. I feel that should be the aim. :D

That's fair enough. And I did understand that there would be people who wouldn't get it, as such.

I just thought it would be an interesting take on the Phil Harrison talks a whole of crap topic. Which I had hoped a couple of people would read, smile and move on with.

Also: the description given before about the toipic is a little way off. It's not about the absurdity of console wars and stuff. It's about Phil. And how he chats crap. Maybe not that funny. But whatever.

Hmm, I certainly 'got' it, but it just wasn't funny. It just seems so unconnected with anything, really, and the theme behind it isn't that strong. A guy talks crap about his company. Hilarity ensues.

It's not what you would normally get on a games site, I guess, but different doesn't automatically make it good.

What I do find amusing is that we ask people for what they DO like about the site and it's literally like they're muttering about "some of the other stuff" without giving any examples, but everyone's lining up to slate the stuff they hate!  ;)

Firstly, :D to the change of thread title.

Secondly, I realise that I haven't said much (well, nothing, actually) in the way of praise, and to be honest I find this thread more interesting than the site. That said, the articles do cover a variety of things. I haven't actually liked the ones I've read, but they are different.

And have people told you that you look like Stephane Henchoz at all in your site pic?

Oh, and sort out those screenshots! :D

And that, Gabe, is fair comment - and I genuinely appreciate your thoughts.

As a feeble defence: I'm not going to suggest the theme is uber-strong; and I'm not going to say it's connected with anything, whatever that means; I just don't think the piece should be taken as anything but a jokey, light-hearted stab at a gaming figure - with a few parallels along the way. Funny? Perhaps not that. But it was never meant to be this deep, serious piece to be analytically nitpicked over.

Still, thanks again.

And that, Gabe, is fair comment - and I genuinely appreciate your thoughts.

As a feeble defence: I'm not going to suggest the theme is uber-strong; and I'm not going to say it's connected with anything, whatever that means; I just don't think the piece should be taken as anything but a jokey, light-hearted stab at a gaming figure - with a few parallels along the way. Funny? Perhaps not that. But it was never meant to be this deep, serious piece to be analytically nitpicked over.

Still, thanks again.

;) Indeed, although the time spent on ones' throne that allows such thoughts to develop.

What I meant by not being connected to anything was that other than Phil works for Sony, there was nothing else that really connected the article to the site or games at all, really; it was abstract, I'll give it that.