IGNORED

Stone Roses

oli

IB went on record saying that the reason he wrote Longsight M13 is that the roses spent most of their time in Longsight. Bollocks.

he's a fucking softly spoken timperley boy like you chod.

Anyone heard 'Timperley Sunset' by Frank Sidebottom - a fookin classic I tell you!

The debut is my favourite album of all time and will always be.

I bought it on cassette when it came out and all my mates laughed at me for buying a jangly indie band.Straight after Fools Gold they were all proclaiming them the best band in the world.

Saw them at Spike Island and even if the sound was appaling it still was a great gig.

Havent played The Second Coming in years but will have to give it another spin.

Ian Brown has gone on record saying they will never reform and I hope they dont.Too many bands have gone down that path recently

I saw them at Ally Pally and sound was terrible, mind you it's a crap place for gigs as I saw the White Stripes there a few years back and it didn't suit them either. I saw them at Spike Island too, and the sound was again, apalling. I Am The Resurection managed to shine though.

What was that instrumental tune they used to play on tape at the start of gigs ? I remember trying to find out at the time, but didn't get anywhere.

I saw them at Ally Pally and sound was terrible, mind you it's a crap place for gigs as I saw the White Stripes there a few years back and it didn't suit them either. I saw them at Spike Island too, and the sound was again, apalling. I Am The Resurection managed to shine though. 

What was that instrumental tune they used to play on tape at the start of gigs ? I remember trying to find out at the time, but didn't get anywhere.

I thought it was their own track they made for the intro.

On the Spike Island bootleg a friend has it is just listed as 'Intro'

I loved the fireworks at the end.Although the six hour coach trip home was a bitch.

One song? Its obvious but Resurrection is just amazing and springs instantly to mind however i really love all of their tracks.  I'd say Adored, Mersey Paradise, Where Angels Play, Somethings Burning, Ten Storey Love Song and Love Spreads are just lush........

The guitarist that Browny currently has playing live with him is fucking good like, comes really close to the Squire sound when covering the classics.

I bought a Gretsch Country Gent just so i could attempt to make a noise something like 89' era Squire.  Thats pretty embarassing.

isn't the guitarist Aziz Ibrahim, they guy who took over from squire when he left the Roses

,Oct 5 2005, 07:52 PM]The Gallaghers are from Burnage in Manchester.

IB is from Timperley just to the South of Manchester. Same village as me. He even went to the same Grammar school as I did. So for all intents and purposes we should have similar accents. But he seems to have picked up scally-manc from somewhere and he doesn't sound anything like anyone else from round here.

See you did go to my school ! As did Frank Sidebottom's Son ( no it wasn't litte frank)

isn't the guitarist Aziz Ibrahim, they guy who took over from squire when he left the Roses

Yeah i think for most of the recorded stuff but i think Brown recruited some dude from a Roses cover band for some live gigs (to do the old classics) but then i think Ibrahim has or had been ill for a while so the stand in is fairly permanent now.

When i saw Brown at an HMV in store gig last year (the week Solarised came out) Ibrahim was there however when they played Brixton a month later he was nowehere to be seen and this stand in feller played everything. I believe the stand in guitarist dude is known by someone on this forum.

I really like the garage flower album.  Its really cool to hear them when they were a bit spikey.

It's fairly bad overall, but it does show the role John Leckie played in turning those songs that made it onto the debut into classics.

It was also released against the band's wishes, and Mani in particular told fans not to buy it as it was 'crap'.

Yeah i think for most of the recorded stuff but i think Brown recruited some dude from a Roses cover band for some live gigs (to do the old classics) but then i think Ibrahim has or had been ill for a while so the stand in is fairly permanent now.

When i saw Brown at an HMV in store gig last year (the week Solarised came out) Ibrahim was there however when they played Brixton a month later he was nowehere to be seen and this stand in feller played everything.  I believe the stand in guitarist dude is known by someone on this forum.

Frazer and Steve got the call last year to join permanantly because Ian wanted to play his old tunes properly (as opposes to the shambles that Squire would create). I've yet to hear any (press) negativity towards the guitar stylings of the two down-to-earth guys who used to be in Fools Gold, so it's all good.

Other than that, I'm keeping schtum.

Frazer and Steve got the call last year to join permanantly because Ian wanted to play his old tunes properly (as opposes to the shambles that Squire would create). I've yet to hear any (press) negativity towards the guitar stylings of the two down-to-earth guys who used to be in Fools Gold, so it's all good.

Other than that, I'm keeping schtum.

Agreed, Squire's cover versions sound terrible. I love his solo albums, but his voice doesn't go well with the old Roses tracks.

Keeping schtum? Do you know something we want to know?

See, its not even remotely shite. Its a great album but it just isnt the same style as the debut.

Spot on. Their debut was simply stunning. Second Coming is great in its own right, just in a totally different style.

The Stone Roses - Best drumming Evar!!!!!11one1

Their scummy label, Silvertone, released a DVD with the Blackpool gig and some TV appearances on it last year. Whilst watching that I realised that never has such an amazing band been matched with such a shite singer. The live bits are actually kind of painful to listen to he's so out of tune. But god the band are amazing. What a paradox.

Oh, and John Squire is my guitar hero. That is all.

The Stone Roses - Best drumming Evar!!!!!11one1

I prefer Mark Brzezicki. The man's an octopus; like Reni, a great drummer who doesn't just twat the shit out of the drums. And although Robbie Maddix was technically inferior to Reni, I did enjoy listening to his heavier drumming style on live tracks from the later tours.

• 1 year later...
Brought their debut a fortnight ago. Haven't stopped listening to it since. One of the best albums I've heard.

I know a reuinion isn't likely but when can I hear Ian Brown doing Roses tracks?

Live? I think Browny is recording a new album at the minute so he may tour whenever that's out. Whether he'll do Roses stuff again is anyone's guess, he's rinsed the Roses tunes pretty hard over the last few years so I'd guess at maybe not.

I loved them as a kid. Went to Blackpool, Ally Pally and Glasgow Green, the latter of which is still one of my finest gigs ever purely because of the white-hot atmosphere. They were I think the first contemporary band I got into, before that it was Public Enemy, and well, when you're a 14 year old white nerd you don't go to their gigs. The individualistic covers and their aloofness was enthralling to certain aspects of my generation. They came about a time when UK guitar music was going through something of a dull patch, having only just got over the demise of the Smiths. The Pixies and Sonic Youth were in the ascendant, but they were American, and whilst My Bloody Valentine were stirring, they were essentially far too cerebral for most. The Roses, were for the most part, lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time especially with regard to the imminent Acid House invasion.

Yet now, in the cold light of day, I think they're overrated and I also think their inactivity from 1990 to 1994 did British Guitar Music a lot of damage. It's a shame because apart from Ian Brown, who charismatic stage presence aside, is spectacularly awful from a technical perspective, they were a quite phenomenal band capable of something really quite fantastic. Squire's guitar ability was great, but it was Mani and Reni who were the key - a rubbery, funky rhythm section that melded the latter's jazz-style breaks and the former's thundering lines.

The first LP is a magnificent LP of its time but it's so very rooted in the past. It is a retrograde mix of the Byrds, Beatles, CCR, Pink Floyd and a few other styles. She Bangs the Drum, Adored, Don't Stop (I've always preferred this to Waterfall), Resurrection, Bye Bye Badman are all great songs, but on recent listening it just lacks something to make it a truly great LP. The only thing I can say is that it just seems to lack the emotional sophistication that one expects of an LP that it regularly gets the accolades for.

Fool's Gold and the b-side to One Love, "Somethings Burning" hinted at a dark, bluesy direction that could have harnessed the dance sounds that were emanating around them at the time. The period of '88 to '94 in Britain was one of quite spectacular changes with regard to electronic music and at that time it appeared that the Roses would produce the indie-dance fusion that so many people had hoped for. A band capable of playing stadiums making the change that people wanted and to clear away the dinosaurs of U2, The Stones and Dire Straits.

And of course they then disappeared, and after a while the rest of the UK music scene got on with it. Oasis came along, and effectively nailed the Roses, which is a shame because Oasis killed any sort of invention in guitar music in the UK. They became exactly what the Roses had always hated - monolithic, traditional guitar rock with absolutely no element of subtlety and the sort of idiotic fanbase that you wonder where they all came from. There have been precisely two or three guitar bands of any worth in the UK since the Roses appeared. Radiohead, Spiritualized and possibly one or two others. Any others have been unashamed copyists of other bands with nothing original to their name.

The Roses were an amalgamation of other styles, and sadly they ended up leaving behind a legacy of flogging an even bigger dead horse because of it.

Noel Gallagher wrote the music for "Keep What Ya Got", Brown wrote the lyrics i think.

Noel Gallagher wrote it for The Xfiles Film Soundtrack (I am fuel, you are friends), a few years later it had lyrics added by Ian Brown.

• 6 months later...

Had some 'Brown fun' last night at the man's gig in Sheffield. Good crowd there for once, although last time I was there it was for Spiritualized, who don't exactly rawk, and after a couple of horrendously out of tune stabs at the first couple of songs it was pretty good. Golden Gaze was excellent plus a great version of Fools Gold with whole new lyrics. BUT! The highlight was that Andy Rourke - official second best bassist in the world - was onstage for about five songs. And he's still a tremendous bassist.

Message ends.