Needing For Alts

connerfitzgerald

It's not cool is it?

With some proper bender tonight, I'd been there for ages killing elementals, he comes along and asks to party up, I was iffying as it wasn't a killing me doing.

Anyway I do and it turns out he is grinding for rocksalt, he then opens a trade window pretty much demanding any I'd got before. Odd I thought but not the end of the world.

Anyway a few green items come up and he wins them all and I'm not massively fussed, but then some sweet axe comes up and I have to need and he also needs, but then he doesn't equip or anything, slightly weird as it was a good axe for our level, so I finally ask something and he says that he needed it for his alt.

Is that cool?

I seem to attract these idiots as once I had some who said they needed the item to sell it! :lol:

rolling for alts is not on. You should only roll need for an item you intend to immediately equip on the character you are playing at the time.

Do people with a 2nd set of items (ie PVP, hybrids who change role depending on group) role need on items that they would use in their alternate equipment set?

And what about lockboxes and gems you could use with your tradeskills?

Do people with a 2nd set of items (ie PVP, hybrids who change role depending on group) role need on items that they would use in their alternate equipment set?

I sure do. With random groups I used to explain in advance that I liked AGI/STA/STR stuff for pvp and INT/SPI/STA for healing...

The only people it mattered to were hunters but I never got any shit over it.

'Needing' items for an alt (or for selling, or for a guildmate who isn't present) is not on in my book. Call it greed; that's what it is, when you could basically want every drop any of your characters are ever present for. With the new rolling system, just roll greed, and people who need the item as an upgrade won't mind because their need roll will get priority.

Gems are greed for me, as I don't think I have any recipes that use them. Lockboxes IMO should be greed for all, because you don't know what's in there. Rogues get the lockpicking skillup from opening them, but there's no reason (current skills permitting) why the rogue in the group can't open the box for someone else.

In pickups, it's definately not need.

If like yesterday when some of us ABA memebers where running SFK and SM you can discuss it more and possibly roll for alts or guildies - as long as people agree on this.

And yeah, always greed on lockboxes.

Yeah thanks guys, you've confirmed what I thought.

The guy was a proper dick, he was giving me hassle about buying some stuff off him, and it was ok stuff but not worth the money really, espically as auctionneer was telling me I could get of for less from AH.

Anyway he keeps giving me hassle, so I say I don't have the money but I was gonna do ZF tomorrow and depending on what drops I got in there then we'd see. He then comes back with that he's taken a screenshot and now I have to buy. WTF

Thanks again guys

Anyway he keeps giving me hassle, so I say I don't have the money but I was gonna do ZF tomorrow and depending on what drops I got in there then we'd see.  He then comes back with that he's taken a screenshot and now I have to buy. WTF

/ignore is your best friend here.

I had a raid through SM with a pick up group and the mage had been going on the whole time about wanting the staff. Kill the boss, drops the staff and the warrior also rolls for it caliming he wanted it for an alt. The staff was BoP though. What a fucking tool.

Rolling for alts is greed all the way if you ask me. As is rolling for disenchantment or for cash. Everyone needs cash so why is your need more than others? Things have got better with the greed and need buttons though.

I sure do. With random groups I used to explain in advance that I liked AGI/STA/STR stuff for pvp and INT/SPI/STA for healing...

The only people it mattered to were hunters but I never got any shit over it.

Its only Shamans that can roll on pretty much anything (other than cloth and plate, imo), so I dont usually get any hassle for doing so. I try to be as nice as possible if there are any people in the group that also need them, explaining why it is I am going to roll, and to see if there are any objections before hand. I've never had any though :ph34r:

If there's a hunter in the group I explain in advance, otherwise I don't bother...

Hee hee, I just realised that I was allowed take the pattern for Robe of the Void for my Warlock alt when it dropped in Scholo a few weeks back and have collected allmost all the mats even though I can't make it or use it yet. Forgot all about it.

Yay! EpiXXX

Like I was saying to Khaz last night, a new loot aspect opened up to me last night - the benefit of a poker face and bluffing like a bastard. A set of Felheart Bracers dropped off a trash mob in MC and so those who could put their DKP bids in. Going into the bidding, I knew that i) there was one other warlock with more points than me; and ii) it was a relatively rare drop compared with the other items in the set and that he knew it as well so I tried using it as an opportunity to build up a healthy lead over everyone else by bidding a frankly idiotic number of points for a pair of bracers that are good but nowhere near worth spending that number of points on. It could have backfired horribly if he didn't bite, I could have spent 5/6 of my points on them but sure enough, he still had the higher bid. Result: he's happy with his bracers, I'm happy having wiped out a shitload of his points and at being in pole position for the first Azuresong Mageblade or set of Felheart Robes that Golemagg drops. Everybody wins!

...y to build up a healthy lead over everyone else by bidding a frankly idiotic number of points for a pair of bracers that are good but nowhere near worth spending that number of points on....

Everybody wins!

Glad I am not in your raid group!

In our group points spent above the min bid on class specific points are spread only through the members of that class, to try and balance out and discourage such acts.

Glad I am not in your raid group!

In our group points spent above the min bid on class specific points are spread only through the members of that class, to try and balance out and discourage such acts.

Yes, on reflection it was spectacularly mean of me but then again, if he was prepared to spend that many points - and possibly more - on them anyway, then so be it. Besides, no doubt karma will see to it that either of the things I'm really after won't drop until he's caught back up again anyway - the group has a maximum 100pt limit on the number of points people can save.

Hey, I'm an evil Forsaken warlock out to destroy the world, it's not called roleplaying for nothing.

Indeed. That's the kind of bollocks which completely puts me off endgame.

I don't see why, it's better than rolling and taking your chances against people who might have contributed less in the past. It's just a sub ecomony.

Heh, in any case there's much more to endgame than the loot and there's at least 2 raid groups on Earthen Ring who don't use an absolute DKP system and allow you to roll with a weighted modifyer to account for additional contribution.

The raid group I'm in plus the one Unity of Blood group with both use that system.

I think you've just heard about the bad and missed the good tbh mate.

I don't see why, it's better than rolling and taking your chances against people who might have contributed less in the past. It's just a sub ecomony.

I think you've just heard about the bad and missed the good tbh mate.

The good seems to be the immense fun of doing these runs and obtaining the kit, the bad seems to be the cunty behaviour needed to do so.

Bad > good, for me. I just can't be bothered with it.

Well, I respect that you think that but I reckon you're views are majorly clouded on the subject. The cunty behaviour isn't an issue inguild and even when you do need to form alliances and end up grouping with some total tossers it's not that big a deal.

"endgame" as you put it, is just so awesome from a sense of acheivement and teamwork point of view moreso than the loot since everyone gets tooled up eventually and it's infinitely more rewarding than levels 1 - 50