IGNORED

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Eighthours

where the hell did my post go?

Anyway, I wonder if the radiant AI will apply to the predatorial nature of beasts in the game. Will beasts hunt prey when they get hungry?

If they're stalking one prey and see a better (easier to catch/ better meat/etc), will they switch targets?

Will herbivores eat mushrooms and other vegetation in the forests?

Will prey run away when they see predators? (this one seems evident with the video showing the deer noticing you and running away, dunno how conveniently scripted that was though)

Will similar species fight/team up over prey/predators respectively?

This seems a bit much but from what we've heard of the radiant ai, it doesn't sound impossible. If the answers to these questions turn out positive however I will be very pleasantly suprised.

I think there's a DVD iso of the 20 min presentation promotional DVD on Fileshack, that's probably what you're after.

I registered with fileshack there and searched for oblivion but they only have the short E3 2005 demo trailer thingy.

What is a DVD iso?

Was I searching for the wrong thing?

I think there's a DVD iso of the 20 min presentation promotional DVD on Fileshack, that's probably what you're after.

Well, a link to the torrent, which I have just started torrenting. ETA: somewhere between 1 and 5 days I'd guess.

Do you just burn an iso onto a DVD? I'd rather access a video file for the XBMC.

Bah!!

I've tried loadsa things, downloading winzip and stuff but i still cannot get this 20 min vid(anywhere online) to play on either realplayer, Windows Media Player, Quicktime or anything. :P

As I said I'm probably missing something obvious but, as I say, I'm crap with technical gubbins. Could someone please sort me out with a link that works very simply for this 20min vid/demo please?

I'll time you... :(

Bah!!

I've tried loadsa things, downloading winzip and stuff but i still cannot get this 20 min vid(anywhere online) to play on either realplayer, Windows Media Player, Quicktime or anything. :P

As I said I'm probably missing something obvious but, as I say, I'm crap with technical gubbins. Could someone please sort me out with a link that works very simply for this 20min vid/demo please?

I'll time you... :(

How about GameTrailers?

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1688

It's in chunks, but it's all there, looking mighty fine.

At fucking last!! :P

http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1688

Thanks for the pointer there LongHairStu but I had already found it and have been downloading them for the past twenty minutes one by one.

I am going to be in seventh heaven with this title, I imagine I'll do what I did with Morrowind and have two, maybe three files running parallel but being played completely differently so as I can jump into whatever game suits my mood at the time :(

No bed for me yet then! :P

I cant say anything else on the expected launch lists has me quite as excited as this game. The problem is I never really got into Morrowind. I tried a couple of times, got off the boat, walked around, died a few times so gave up. Tried it again a few months later, managed to reach some sandy looking town with what I think was a guild. But again I got a bit bored and just stopped. The game just seemed directionless to me. I dont want a game to be too linear but I at least expect someone pointing the way once in a while.

I could prolly get it for a fiver now from eBay, should I bother?

You may as well go for the GOTY edition. Tis £15, but it has both add ons.

http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=10341&mid=322563

Not a bad price but im still not sure if I should go for it. Its daft but maybe I was playing it wrong? I couldnt seem to do much and it all seemed a little lost to me when I played all that time ago. What do you like so much about it? Why is it so good? Convince me :unsure:

Not a bad price but im still not sure if I should go for it. Its daft but maybe I was playing it wrong? I couldnt seem to do much and it all seemed a little lost to me when I played all that time ago. What do you like so much about it? Why is it so good? Convince me  :unsure:

I didn't think it was that great. Good, but not quite as amazing as some peeps made it out to be.

Felt empty and unfinished to me.

I've just seen a trailer. Did the guy say forests would be randomly generated? Does this mean that in my game, there might be trees that are not in your game? Can anyone clarify what he meant about how the "game" generates the trees...

As for convincing Lorfarius of Morrowind (are you the same Lor from the GTM forums?), it's a case of getting out, what you put in. I was psyched for ages about the game before it arrived through the post. I actually spent that time carefully reading up and preparing my character class. From there, I just went at my own pace. Determined to look through every room, and find every item.

There are many things to do in the opening town. I'd say, hang around there and get yourself acquainted with things. I think I spent a real life week just messing around the local area. I discovered a shipwreck not to far from the town, executed a murderer, bought some decent weapons and armor, and levelled up my stats. I also ransacked and looted the entire place.

I guess you'd have to be inclined towards such an open game anyway.

I've just seen a trailer. Did the guy say forests would be randomly generated? Does this mean that in my game, there might be trees that are not in your game? Can anyone clarify what he meant about how the "game" generates the trees...

I think he said the forests would be "procedually generated". So it makes up the details as it goes along. Maybe the tree's would be already in place, just the height, leaves and colour would vary randomly.

I think he said the forests would be "procedually generated". So it makes up the details as it goes along. Maybe the tree's would be already in place, just the height, leaves and colour would vary randomly.

I'm pretty sure that the forrests will be exactly the same for every player. However instead of being modelled traditionally they were "grown" based on detailed information from a bunch of sources.

Yeah it's just an alternate way of generating graphics in a more automated fashion, as opposed to traditional 3D meshes that take an age to create.

Will Wright's upcoming "Spore" uses a similar technique for its characters apparently.

Yeah it's just an alternate way of generating graphics in a more automated fashion, as opposed to traditional 3D meshes that take an age to create.

Will Wright's upcoming "Spore" uses a similar technique for its characters apparently.

It's great news, because it cuts down on prima donna artists and animators <_<

Actually you'd do well to check out that new Guinness ad then. The plants were done with Houdini (Framestore love that program) which is a very high end procedural modelling and animation program. They taught it how to grow one tree, and then created all the others as slight variations.

Things like the brain network for Fight Club were done in the same way.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&id=7&Itemid=68

Artists and procedural content have existed side by side in CG movies since it started. And that's without even considering renderman shaders . . .

Unless you want to produce gaming worlds which have character.

Snakes alive, artist alert!!

I said cuts down, not eliminates.

I've worked with a few artists who seem to go off to their own little world and get annoyed when you direct them to do something that will create a consistent whole - instead they want to do it "their way". I even had one chap storm out after he kept foaming "It should look more realistic!", despite everyone telling him we wanted it to have more "character". Since when did he dictate game theme and direction? That's right - too much of an "artist" not so much of a team player. Shame, cos he was generally a nice guy I felt.

Sure he could draw and it was amazing, stunning work - but he wanted everything done in uber high res realism. That wasn't what the game was about.

Regardless it got canned. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that the forrests will be exactly the same for every player. However instead of being modelled traditionally they were "grown" based on detailed information from a bunch of sources.

Yes. They randomly generated most of the random land mass in between of places, then touched it up/added dungeons etc.