rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Eighthours

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Bloody hell, these orc vampires in the mines are hard to kill. I had to lure them through the nearby Oblivion gate, up some rocky ledges overhanging the lava and then defend until they fell into the lava. They always team up with the scamps against me too. Anyway, I'm past the halfway point and hoping to finish over the next few days while I got time for some long sessions.

Yesterday, I was looking for a place to buy in the Waterside Front of the Imperial City when a woman standing beside the ship told me she'd already warned me about not entering (she hadn't) so I decided to board the ship for a laugh. The crew came after me but before they got to me the guard who was right beside them intercepted them and killed them all in the resulting fracas. I check their bodies and find out they're all pirates, so I'm not feeling too bad about taking their gold and their ship. I now have lots of beds to sleep in, hehe.

Don't rely on stuff you may leave in the ship being there later on though. i read in one of the faqs it sometimes disappears unlike your actual houses.

... and play I did.

Been playing Shivering Isles - because once you start, you need to see it through.

It's bonkers and well worth the money... some nice meaty quests to them that are a bit different from the usual "go here and kill x" variety.

Finished it last night. I only had one sword to fight Mankar Camoran with, which broke after I hit him a good few times, so I all I could do was punch him. Backed him into the corner upstairs so I had him on his own for a few minutes. About 50 punches later he's still standing and his minions are closing in on me from behind so the only thing I could do at that point to beat it was lower the difficulty so I was able to floor him, which robbed me of the pleasure.

Excellent game, could've been more creative with some of the maps perhaps, I got really sick of all those caves and dungeons after a while, knowing I could have run through the gates instead doesn't make me feel a whole lot better. I don't think I ever got over how wide it all is, even towards the end, I was surprised to discover new things I could do.

It's bonkers and well worth the money... some nice meaty quests to them that are a bit different from the usual "go here and kill x" variety.

I hope we see more of that in Elder Scrolls V.

I've got this on the PC (yarred, 16hrs in), and the 360 (1hr in)

I just don't have time to sink into my character and hit stuff anymore.

I'd like to. I mean, I feel bad for giving up on Morrowind after getting killed by a rat, but I guess RPGs just ain't my bag...

I'm about 40+ hours into a new game, I still haven't delivered the amulet yet.

I bloody love this game.

I've got high hopes for the new "install games to the HDD" feature coming to the 360 in the next big update.

I'm hoping it will improve the load times, and I'll start playing this again.

I've got high hopes for the new "install games to the HDD" feature coming to the 360 in the next big update.

'Defense of Bruma' played out in mute for me, the 360 couldn't keep up, so it dropped the sound until the last gate opened, which gave it a surreal feeling.

Yep it's been a good few months since I've played Oblivion as my last 360 kept giving me random "dirty disc" errors. Not tried it on my replacement machine yet, but loading it off the HDD will be great!

I hope it doesn't look too dated now after playing GTA IV / Assassin's Creed etc...?

Yep it's been a good few months since I've played Oblivion as my last 360 kept giving me random "dirty disc" errors. Not tried it on my replacement machine yet, but loading it off the HDD will be great!

I hope it doesn't look too dated now after playing GTA IV / Assassin's Creed etc...?

Topic subtitle = next gen is here. DO NOT DOUBT.

One of the older guys i work with got a ps3 and the first thing i did was told him to get this, which after some badgering he did.

He slowly got sucked in and is deep into his game although not that far into the actual main story. Then he gets bit by a vampire and for the last month hes been trying to do the quest and collecting bloodgrass only to find theres a glitch in the ps3 game and it cant be completed. So there is no way to cure it at all!

The only way he found out was by me checking online for him to find the problem is widespread. I cant believe that bethseda arent willing to fix it. Do sony not allow the release of patches or somehting? Pretty shocked to say the least.

One of the older guys i work with got a ps3 and the first thing i did was told him to get this, which after some badgering he did.

He slowly got sucked in and is deep into his game although not that far into the actual main story. Then he gets bit by a vampire and for the last month hes been trying to do the quest and collecting bloodgrass only to find theres a glitch in the ps3 game and it cant be completed. So there is no way to cure it at all!

The only way he found out was by me checking online for him to find the problem is widespread. I cant believe that bethseda arent willing to fix it. Do sony not allow the release of patches or somehting? Pretty shocked to say the least.

You can cure it in the Vile Lair? Isnt that included with the PS3 version?

Finished for the second time not long ago, really was a lot more fun playing a beefcake after tearing hair out in frustration playing as a sneak with the worst selection of major skills. Ultimately the most fun in the game has to be bounding up a hill running away from a brown bear before quickly turning and casting paralysis and watching him freeze then tumble, the comic timing of it is perfect. Also I spent frigging ages running off the edge of the map as the game seems to generate scenery indefinately. It has a spooky vibe running through the usual lush Oblivion scenery without any creatures or buildings.

That doesn't sound right, you should get a message telling you to turn around when you get to the map boundery

You should, but I found myself outside the boundary on one occasion too. I ran down into Elsweyr, and after a while the ground texture disappeared, leaving only tufts of grass materialising on invisible hills. I don't think the game actually generates this stuff on the fly - it's just there, redundantly. After a while there was a huge drop (either endless or into water, I forget), and looking back up at the jump-off point yielded that odd vertical-strata effect that I'm sure I've seen elsewhere in times of glitchiness, presumably from looking at the wrong side of the polygons that make up the land geometry. At that point my character suffered an existential crisis and I had to reload an earlier save.

Lately, to improve my Hand to Hand skills, I've been charging straight into ruins fists a-flying, punching anyone/thing in my way. Basically the Oblivion version of windmilling.

Finished for the second time not long ago, really was a lot more fun playing a beefcake after tearing hair out in frustration playing as a sneak with the worst selection of major skills. Ultimately the most fun in the game has to be bounding up a hill running away from a brown bear before quickly turning and casting paralysis and watching him freeze then tumble, the comic timing of it is perfect. Also I spent frigging ages running off the edge of the map as the game seems to generate scenery indefinately. It has a spooky vibe running through the usual lush Oblivion scenery without any creatures or buildings.

The best bit I had like that was being awoken from a lakeside slumber by some ranting bloke who seemed to think I'd been responsible for terrible things happening to him. He gave a speech about how much he'd savour his revenge as he slowly severed the soul from my body, and sprang at me. I was crouched. He soared gracefully over my head, into the lake, and drowned.

I shrugged and went back to sleep.

Would the install to HDD feature coming up definitely improve loading times as I will dust off my copy once the feature is released?

I'm going to be giving it the full install myself, continually loading did get on my tits, especially crossing the city (the name of which totally fails me at the moment, that's how long it's been, there was a time that was my 'hood' :) )

I've got the PS3 version and have done the Vampire cure thing fine.

I assume you've got the original version not the goty?

The glitch only affects the goty version and i dont think the vile layer can be used as the only suggestion available online is to rent the original version give the woman the bloodgrass then reload the goty version, apparently itt fucks up any of the shivering isles stuff done prior to the save.

I tried it again but I got stuck in a dungeon with three zombies in the first two hours and I can't get out because I have no lockpicks left. Best game ever.

This is still quite easily the best game of this gen so far for me. I'm about 60 hours into a second play through. First play through froze at just over 100 hours when all my saves wouldn't load. I didn't have the heart to re-start at the time. Since then I moved down to Oz and when I got a new 360 (sold the old one) and a flash new telly I felt ready to start again. I'd only dropped Sean off at the cloud temple on my previous game and hadn't touched the dark brotherhood of much of the thieves guilds in my previous game so I still had loads to do. The new 360 runs the game so much better then my old machine as well, I don't think its frozen on me once and it used to lock up quite a bit on my old 360.

Anyways it looks like by the time I'm finished with this I'll have clocked up over 200 hours! Amazing really. I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 but a lot of the pleasure of Oblivion were in the exploring off the beaten track , picking ingredients for my Alchemy and watching the sun rise. Best natural environments ever for me, l loved the way that different areas had a subtle differnet set of trees, flowers and general geopraphy. Would love to see an new elder scrolls on the 360, what do we think are the chances?

I assume you've got the original version not the goty?

The glitch only affects the goty version and i dont think the vile layer can be used

:ph34r:

Once I've tired of Civ Rev (which, having spent over 24 hours on it despite only owning it for 6 days, and not playing it at all on one of those days, might be a while), I'm going back to Oblivion to mop up the last few Dark Brotherhood and Fighters Guild quests, before having a wander round and sorting out some of the side quests. Need to get it "done" before Fallout 3.

I've put well over 200 hours into Oblivion, and I've only used one character so far. Amazing game.

Would love to see an new elder scrolls on the 360, what do we think are the chances?

Well, if you watched the DVD that came with the Oblivion Special Edition, you'll see they started work on V straight after IV...