Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

That doesn't sound right, you should get a message telling you to turn around when you get to the map boundery

You should, but I found myself outside the boundary on one occasion too. I ran down into Elsweyr, and after a while the ground texture disappeared, leaving only tufts of grass materialising on invisible hills. I don't think the game actually generates this stuff on the fly - it's just there, redundantly. After a while there was a huge drop (either endless or into water, I forget), and looking back up at the jump-off point yielded that odd vertical-strata effect that I'm sure I've seen elsewhere in times of glitchiness, presumably from looking at the wrong side of the polygons that make up the land geometry. At that point my character suffered an existential crisis and I had to reload an earlier save.

Finished for the second time not long ago, really was a lot more fun playing a beefcake after tearing hair out in frustration playing as a sneak with the worst selection of major skills. Ultimately the most fun in the game has to be bounding up a hill running away from a brown bear before quickly turning and casting paralysis and watching him freeze then tumble, the comic timing of it is perfect. Also I spent frigging ages running off the edge of the map as the game seems to generate scenery indefinately. It has a spooky vibe running through the usual lush Oblivion scenery without any creatures or buildings.

The best bit I had like that was being awoken from a lakeside slumber by some ranting bloke who seemed to think I'd been responsible for terrible things happening to him. He gave a speech about how much he'd savour his revenge as he slowly severed the soul from my body, and sprang at me. I was crouched. He soared gracefully over my head, into the lake, and drowned.

I shrugged and went back to sleep.

I'm going to be giving it the full install myself, continually loading did get on my tits, especially crossing the city (the name of which totally fails me at the moment, that's how long it's been, there was a time that was my 'hood' :) )

I've got the PS3 version and have done the Vampire cure thing fine.

I assume you've got the original version not the goty?

The glitch only affects the goty version and i dont think the vile layer can be used as the only suggestion available online is to rent the original version give the woman the bloodgrass then reload the goty version, apparently itt fucks up any of the shivering isles stuff done prior to the save.

This is still quite easily the best game of this gen so far for me. I'm about 60 hours into a second play through. First play through froze at just over 100 hours when all my saves wouldn't load. I didn't have the heart to re-start at the time. Since then I moved down to Oz and when I got a new 360 (sold the old one) and a flash new telly I felt ready to start again. I'd only dropped Sean off at the cloud temple on my previous game and hadn't touched the dark brotherhood of much of the thieves guilds in my previous game so I still had loads to do. The new 360 runs the game so much better then my old machine as well, I don't think its frozen on me once and it used to lock up quite a bit on my old 360.

Anyways it looks like by the time I'm finished with this I'll have clocked up over 200 hours! Amazing really. I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 but a lot of the pleasure of Oblivion were in the exploring off the beaten track , picking ingredients for my Alchemy and watching the sun rise. Best natural environments ever for me, l loved the way that different areas had a subtle differnet set of trees, flowers and general geopraphy. Would love to see an new elder scrolls on the 360, what do we think are the chances?

I assume you've got the original version not the goty?

The glitch only affects the goty version and i dont think the vile layer can be used

:ph34r:

Once I've tired of Civ Rev (which, having spent over 24 hours on it despite only owning it for 6 days, and not playing it at all on one of those days, might be a while), I'm going back to Oblivion to mop up the last few Dark Brotherhood and Fighters Guild quests, before having a wander round and sorting out some of the side quests. Need to get it "done" before Fallout 3.

I've put well over 200 hours into Oblivion, and I've only used one character so far. Amazing game.

Would love to see an new elder scrolls on the 360, what do we think are the chances?

Well, if you watched the DVD that came with the Oblivion Special Edition, you'll see they started work on V straight after IV...

Would the install to HDD feature coming up definitely improve loading times as I will dust off my copy once the feature is released?

Well nobody can say for sure yet.

But I think it's a fair assumption that loading from the HDD will be quicker, after all that is the reason Microsoft are releasing this feature; you still need the DVD in the drive to prove you own the game.

Its just a matter how much quicker it will be. I'm going to be a super nerd and do some tests, time how long it takes to load from DVD then compare with the HDD installed version.

I might get this again next week, i played it all the time when i had it. I can't remeber why i got rid of it.

I'm really tempted to pick it up as well. It was one of the first 360 games I got and I traded it in fairly quickly, basically because there were so many other things I wanted to try. I really fancy getting properly stuck into it now and browsing this thread is making it worse.

it's not that bad actually - compared to Morrowind, it's almost impossible to get lost. Just follow the story until K'Vatch - and then take it from there.

The first few hours of the game are basically an optional tutorial, but it's very nicely done and integrated.

Tbh, I probably racked up about 150 hours (don't know exactly off hand) and I only ever closed two of the gates...

I still HATE the levelling that happens on the 360, I think it's just daft and I'm sure I'm not the "best" race / combination of talents but I hate the fact the game levels itself up to compare. It's just plain stupid, half the point of grinding (IMHO) is that you can then play a section / boss and totally fuck them up because your crew are double hard bastards.

In the 360 (and I presume PS3) version, it's totally arbitrary and really doesn't have much of a difference on the whol game.

Just another one for the masses, as opposed to the joy of X Wing and Tie Fighter when LA and everyone else realised you might have to put some effort in.

Everything else since has been poor.

Strange timing - I started this for the first time a few weeks back. I've put in over 100 hours so far and it feels like I've hardly scratched the surface!

My main problems with it are the Oblivion gates and the default difficulty.

Admittedly, the first problem isn't the game's fault - I'm just the type of person that feels compelled to close the gates rather than just run off and leave them. The result however that for the first 30 hours or so I was almost exclusively closing gates without any interesting questing in between. This made the game seem a real chore and I always hated exploring new parts of the map for fear of finding new gates to close. Since exploring should be a joy in such a beautiful game, it really spoiled it for me.

The difficulty is just bullshit though. They'd introduce tougher enemies much too frequently or make you fight two or three creatures that you could just about cope with one of. I didn't liberate Kvatch when I first went there, electing to come back later on at about level 14. When I got there it was stuffed with spider daedra, daedroths and storm atronarchs. There was just no way I could have done that at level 14 without adjusting the difficulty, which I did. It felt like such a cop out though :D

After about level 30 though, the game is fine. The difficulty was just misjudged for levels 8-20ish, I'd say.

Now I'm not stumbling from gate to gate the whole time I'm having a much better time. Some of the quests are really inventive (the missing painter, for example) - much more so than Morrowind - and I'm really starting to get into it. The cities are really atmospheric and all quite lovely to visit.

I prefer Morrowind though overall though - it was more exotic somehow. Fighting bears and wolves and stuff makes Oblivion seem just a little bit more mundane and it feels a little bit more structured than Morrowind. I'm also unhappy about having to be careful with where I drop my loot etc. Morrowind's 100% persistence was awesome and very reassuring - I've already lost a sweet shield in Oblivion by leaving it in a wrong chest and things are always disappearing from the world when I turn my back. There's a lot more in the game that reminds me I'm playing a game. It's till amazing though.

Tbh, I probably racked up about 150 hours (don't know exactly off hand) and I only ever closed two of the gates...

I still HATE the levelling that happens on the 360, I think it's just daft and I'm sure I'm not the "best" race / combination of talents but I hate the fact the game levels itself up to compare. It's just plain stupid, half the point of grinding (IMHO) is that you can then play a section / boss and totally fuck them up because your crew are double hard bastards.

In the 360 (and I presume PS3) version, it's totally arbitrary and really doesn't have much of a difference on the whol game.

Just another one for the masses, as opposed to the joy of X Wing and Tie Fighter when LA and everyone else realised you might have to put some effort in.

Everything else since has been poor.

The leveling wasn't console specific. It was a design decision- a crap one. However on the PC there might be mod's out there that change the nature of it, but it's got nothing to do with the 360/PS3 or whatever

The leveling wasn't console specific. It was a design decision- a crap one. However on the PC there might be mod's out there that change the nature of it, but it's got nothing to do with the 360/PS3 or whatever

Yeah I know, I just wanted to point out that I was playing on the 360 so I wouldn't get the inevitable 'mod it' response. Sorry, it wasn't very clearly written. I wish there was a DLC to remove that daft levelling... I'd probably play it more if I could remove that, really got on my tits.

The number of mods that improve Oblivion is actually quite staggering, currently I've got over ten mods that I'd hate to be without, from UI and graphic enhancements to a sane levelling system. I really enjoyed being able to play the game how I wanted to so I'm a little worried about how Fallout 3 is going to fare without official mod tools.

Pretty sure Fallout won't have the same levelling system as I remember reading an interview with one of the F3 devs where he acknowledged the problems with it.

The levelling never came close to ruining Oblivion for me, I just dropped the difficulty slider to about 40% and the game felt fine. The Oblivion gates, though :P

I think the only time I dropped the difficulty slider was in Oblivion gates when they started to become a chore. The rest of the time, I didn't have too much of a problem. Like it was said a few posts back, once you get beyond level 30, it becomes less of an issue. I don't know whether it was anything to do with the type of character I was, or the way I played. I was a Thief/Wood Elf, and rarely charged into a situtation. I could sneak up on virtually anyone, or hide very easily with bad guys walking right past me, and not even spotting me.

The difficulty is just bullshit though. They'd introduce tougher enemies much too frequently or make you fight two or three creatures that you could just about cope with one of. I didn't liberate Kvatch when I first went there, electing to come back later on at about level 14. When I got there it was stuffed with spider daedra, daedroths and storm atronarchs. There was just no way I could have done that at level 14 without adjusting the difficulty, which I did. It felt like such a cop out though :P

After about level 30 though, the game is fine. The difficulty was just misjudged for levels 8-20ish, I'd say.

I never had a problem with the difficulty. But then, I've spent 200 hours on it and am still only on level 14. I didn't even know there was a difficulty slider until JP mentioned it here, and by then I was over 100 hours in, with the main quest complete.

Okay, feeling a bit better about this now I've done some exploring and got Kvatch over and done with. I've never really played any games like this so it's all a bit of a learning curve for me, but it's starting to sink in.

The only thing that worries me is being stuck with certain decisions. I keep wondering things like 'I join a guild, can I leave later and join another?' and fretting about it. Like when I got a weapon from beneath a standing stone and then couldn't take it off, which I found a bit annoying so I restarted from a save point. I can undo stuff like that, right?

Okay, feeling a bit better about this now I've done some exploring and got Kvatch over and done with. I've never really played any games like this so it's all a bit of a learning curve for me, but it's starting to sink in.

The only thing that worries me is being stuck with certain decisions. I keep wondering things like 'I join a guild, can I leave later and join another?' and fretting about it. Like when I got a weapon from beneath a standing stone and then couldn't take it off, which I found a bit annoying so I restarted from a save point. I can undo stuff like that, right?

First of all, the main quest is crap- don't judge the game on that. The side quests/guilds and shivering isle's if you have it, all contain awesome.

Secondly. you can join multiple guilds, and at any time and can go through them as slowly or as swiftly as you want.

Yeah, there's very little in terms of making decisions which will ruin the game for you, so just go with the flow. Except being bitten by a vampire and not getting yourself cleansed at one of the church altar things- accidental vampirism is a pain in the backside. When you hit level ten, I'd suggest doing the quest do get the skeleton key- http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Nocturnal- I didn't discover it till quite late on, and spent a lot of the game having to go see the guy who sells lockpicks and stocking up, over and over again. The skeleton key is great because, like it suggests, you don't have to do that anymore.

In my vew being able to join any and all guilds regardless of race was one of the few flaws in the game. I think it stemmed from the overall philosophy of the developers which was to enable the player to go absolutely anywhere from the beginning and not be constrained by artifcial barriers or by the existence of unbeatable enemies. From what I recall, the only implications of joining multiple guilds come from transgressing guild rules such as killing guild members whilst working for other guilds.