rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Eighthours

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Hadn't had a chance to really play this since before Easter, but managed to get back to it this evening. I did two things, I finished the quest involving the house in Anvil, and I murdered somebody during a quest (they were going to draw their weapon, I just got the first hit in before they did). Having the guy from the Dark Brotherhood turn up in my room was terrifying.

I've said this quite a few times now, but get ready for some great times. The Dark Brotherhood is just Ace.

Cheers, although the prospect of sleep in that place really creeps me out somewhat.

Nah, it's cool. Plus it REALLY plays out well...

WHY DID NO-ONE TELL ME THERE WERE INVISIBLE BAAING SHEEP IN THIS GAME?!

It's the most GENIUS of all genius things EVER!

I've taken to breaking into peoples houses and trashing em, I throw everything I can find on the floor.

I love walking on tables kicking everything off them while people are eating. :unsure:

I did find 'slave' houses that, although lived in, where a complete mess. Food etc lieing all over the place.

Had myself a rather unfun time of it tonight...

First did the haunted Manor in Anvil quest - got the ghosts and managed to grab the journal page from the pot. Yey! Found the fella who sold me the manor and it turns out that I need to persuade him to come back with me. Unfortunately his disposition is at 100 and he doesn't want to come with me. Broken quest?

Then! Thought I'd try storming the castle in Kvatch. Got down the undercroft with the bloke with the key and those bastard Imperial guards. Fought through a shitload of super-tough daedra though key bloke died. Ohnos! Went up to get some buffs from the altars and turns out that can't. The gods hate me for "being a sinner". Check my bounty. It's at 1000. Grr. Later on I let the guards fight by themselves and soon I end up soloing the quest. Running away from lots of death. Result? A train of death which ends in the church when the game crashes as I try to escape. No. Fun.

You... DID pick up the hand from the jar, right? If you don't your game gets a ghostly curse and becomes jinxed with bugs.

Good job I've got multiple saves. See, I bear the scars from Morrowind and its shonkyness. I can easily run back and pick up that hand, although maybe a journal entry like "I better pick up that hand, it looks useful" could of helped out somewhat.

Cheers for the tip!

Bug.

I just found the 10 Nirnroot plants I need for the alchemy quest and got an update telling me to go back to the alchemist in Skindrag (or whatever the place is called). However, a few hours ago in game time I accidentally mixed 3 of them into my own potions so I actually only have 7.

The quest log is telling me I have to talk to the alchemist but he's not interested because I only have 7 in my inventory.

So I'm stuck here. Hopefully I'll be able to find some more Nirnroot and trigger the conversation tree. Here's hoping.

Bug.

I just found the 10 Nirnroot plants I need for the alchemy quest and got an update telling me to go back to the alchemist in Skindrag (or whatever the place is called). However, a few hours ago in game time I accidentally mixed 3 of them into my own potions so I actually only have 7.

The quest log is telling me I have to talk to the alchemist but he's not interested because I only have 7 in my inventory.

So I'm stuck here. Hopefully I'll be able to find some more Nirnroot and trigger the conversation tree. Here's hoping.

No bug, there's way more Nirnroots in the game than you'll ever need to complete the quest.

Also, even if there were just 10, it's hardly a bug if you use them to create potions instead of giving them to that guy in Skingrad. The quest is optional.

There's loads more Nirnroot...

Once you find 10, he makes you some weak super-potion. Then he asks you to find another 20, for the next level potion, then 30, and then 40. I managed to get all the nirnroot for the quest to complete and I'm still finding more! There are shitloads, I recommend going down to the very bottom of the map, right side of the river. It's all swampy down there so there's loads of Nirnroot around.

I've taken to breaking into peoples houses and trashing em, I throw everything I can find on the floor.

I wish I could smear shit on their walls :P and Microwave their pets.

I find it quite amusing to go into one of the guilds and hurl a fireball at a table laden with food, plates and cups. They scatter across the room in spectacular fashion.

I've just realised that, since this came out, it's the only non DS game I've played. I'm 70 odd hours in and still ages to go...

meanwhile, Killer 7, Metroid Echoes, Batallion Wars and Shadow of the Coloussus sit in a wee pile next to my consoles.

I find it quite amusing to go into one of the guilds and hurl a fireball at a table laden with food, plates and cups. They scatter across the room in spectacular fashion.

enemies explode FTW!

PS. try fireball type spells in a place with lots of books :P

meanwhile, Killer 7, Metroid Echoes, Batallion Wars and Shadow of the Coloussus sit in a wee pile next to my consoles.

You should really try and keep them somewhere dryer, they'll get soggy if you leave them there.

There's loads more Nirnroot...

Once you find 10, he makes you some weak super-potion. Then he asks you to find another 20, for the next level potion, then 30, and then 40. I managed to get all the nirnroot for the quest to complete and I'm still finding more! There are shitloads, I recommend going down to the very bottom of the map, right side of the river. It's all swampy down there so there's loads of Nirnroot around.

Is the final potion actually any good? I got the first 2 and I'm a couple away from getting the 30 but the potions so far are fairly balls compared to what I mix up myself.

Not in the grand scheme of things. There's so many options that I don't actually use any potions, just magic instead, and I sell most of the potions I get. I can't remember what exactly those ones do, they seem pretty good as far as potions go, and are probably worth quite a bit. I just got the free one after each part of the quest is done. I'd just pick up Nirnroots as you see them rather than actively spend time looking, unless you really want the ability to buy those potions.

I've just realised that, since this came out, it's the only non DS game I've played. I'm 70 odd hours in and still ages to go...

I can't see me buying another home console game for months. I've put about the same number of hours as you and don't feel anywhere near getting bored. It's raised my expectations for games massively too. Like yourself my DS is the only thing that gets a look in at the moment. Could a game like Oblivion actually be bad for the industry?

Had myself a rather unfun time of it tonight...

First did the haunted Manor in Anvil quest - got the ghosts and managed to grab the journal page from the pot. Yey! Found the fella who sold me the manor and it turns out that I need to persuade him to come back with me. Unfortunately his disposition is at 100 and he doesn't want to come with me. Broken quest?

Then! Thought I'd try storming the castle in Kvatch. Got down the undercroft with the bloke with the key and those bastard Imperial guards. Fought through a shitload of super-tough daedra though key bloke died. Ohnos! Went up to get some buffs from the altars and turns out that can't. The gods hate me for "being a sinner". Check my bounty. It's at 1000. Grr. Later on I let the guards fight by themselves and soon I end up soloing the quest. Running away from lots of death. Result? A train of death which ends in the church when the game crashes as I try to escape. No. Fun.

Did you pick up the journal page or just read it? You need to have it with you in order for the quest to continue.