northy

Crackdown

I'm working as a designer on this, so I just thought I'd bring people's attention to its newly announced existence.

http://www.xbox360news.com/Blogs/News/hqs/blr_572.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/Magazine/

Not really in a position at the moment to answer too many questions etc. yet but will be in due course (that's if people actually care!)

Edit: Eurogamer link

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61083

Another Edit: Eurogamer link 2

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71307

I'm working as a designer on this, so I just thought I'd bring people's attention to its newly announced existance.

http://www.xbox360news.com/Blogs/News/hqs/blr_572.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/Magazine/

Not really in a position at the moment to answer too many questions etc. yet but will be in due course (that's if people actually care!)

More oversized humans in silly armour - hope the game's decent.

It's not from Japan and it hasn't got any sterile cartoon characters in it.

So it MUST be shit. I know this before even playing it, seeing it in motion or having any substantial information.

If that was aimed at me , I've lived in Japan for the last six years and find the sort of drivel you describe just as baffling in terms of the mindless praise it garners. However, the characters I saw in that link are the western equivalent. As I said- hope the games decent.

Any relation to Megadrive Crackdown, or did you just steal the name?

As soon as I read the title of the thread I was all ' :ph34r: At last!!1!!2' Then I come in here and I'm all like ' :) ...One day, one day...'

Did the second link have any game info as it's asking for a password to get in.

So is this RTW's second title in development? is APB still being done?

Can I ask why you (as a team) chose to create a character that's quickly beginning to look like a copy and paste for a good few next-gen characters? Seriously, is it publisher pressure some other higher order so that the game can get signed up? I just find it ashame that so many companies are using the next-generation of hardware to alienate even more potential customers. Big, Butch and Brutal seems to be the way to go, and personally I can't think of anything less interesting, see Gears of War, Quake IV, Unreal etc...

Can I ask why you (as a team) chose to create a character that's quickly beginning to look like a copy and paste for a good few next-gen characters? Seriously, is it publisher pressure some other higher order so that the game can get signed up? I just find it ashame that so many companies are using the next-generation of hardware to alienate even more potential customers. Big, Butch and Brutal seems to be the way to go, and personally I can't think of anything less interesting, see Gears of War, Quake IV, Unreal etc...

it's all about TEH MUSCLES!

Hey northy, it's not first party unless RTW has been bought out by Microsoft :unsure:

Well technically I'd agree that it's 2nd party as well, but both RTW and MS have been describing it as 1st party, so I'll happily toe the company line on that one.

APB has a 2007 release date. RTW did a game before I arrived called Mobile Forces, which I've never actually played if I'm being honest.

I can claim no responsibility for the art direction, you'll have to take that up with the art team and Microsoft! I know what you mean though regarding the idenikit looks of next gen characters, but they do look surprisingly good in motion and especially on HD, so you might be better reserving judgement on that. I know that I was pleasantly surprised about the outcome.

Edit: There should be a lot more about the game at X05

Looking nice dude. the more i see next-gen game previews the more it's looking inevitable that i'll have to own every system.

imagine if, at some stage in the future, microsoft announce a crackdown on illegal piracy of this game. Because, you know, it might be confusing

APB has a 2007 release date. RTW did a game before I arrived called Mobile Forces, which I've never actually played if I'm being honest.

Howdy neighbour. Well, Mobile Forces suffered the fate of being released as Rage was already coughing up blood on the floor. It was okay - basically a mod / total conversion of Unreal Tournament with vehicles and physics and stuff.

Nice that Crackdown has finally gone public BTW.

I have to agree that the characters look awful.. No that I'm an amazing artist or anything, but they look a little strange - i cant put my finger on quite what looks so *wrong* about them..

..and when they say 'by the creator of GTA', what exactly do they mean? I thought DMA were responsible, and then they turned into Rockstar.

I have to agree that the characters look awful.. No that I'm an amazing artist or anything, but they look a little strange - i cant put my finger on quite what looks so *wrong* about them..

I don't think the characters look bad; it's just they're looking like the part of the 'next big thingTM', where next gen games feature avatars busting with steroids and rippling layered, polygon rich muscles. It's going to become old fast; and to be honest, i'd have like to have seen Dave Jones' team do something more original from a visual point of view; I mean this is the guy that gave us Unirally right! I bloody loved every last pixel of that game.

IGN have posted the (looks prerendered) vid shown at the press conference:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/773/773714/vids_1.html

and a hands on:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/656/656110p1.html

Looks and sounds pretty ace to me, superhero GTA. I wonder how they'll handle some of the stuff depicted in the trailer tho, like jumping from a moving car then shooting it so it explodes as it's moving. Maybe some kind of time slowing, or the lockon system mentioned in the hands-on will be really good?

I don't like the character designs or the gangsta stylings but the idea of leaping over buildings and bounding about like you're in low-g sounds cool, sort of thing you dream about (literally).

.::: Had a go on this at Leipzig and indeed the building climbing/jumping is liberating. You can build up your character RPG style and make yourself stronger and more agile, allowing you to pick up and throw things better and jump higher.

Of all the GTA-clones I've seen so far, I like this one best as what you can do is just fun and it gives you a better sense of freedom and exploration. The only thing I'm missing are parkour 'moves'.

The graphics are rather weird though. The cel-shading is pretty good, but it's combined with some rather ugly textures. Nothing to break the game though and in the end it does provide a unique look. But at times it really makes you recoil a bit.

Throwing with dead bodies is a bit morbid though, and locking is handled hard: once you lock it'll always stay in the center of the screen sometimes screwing up your viewpoint, but it does make everything feel more dynamic.

Depending upon the mission-structure and setup this could be a real good game, but I'm already sold on the "Spider-Man without wires" design.

I don't get people's beef with the look of this game i think it looks gorgeous and not too dissimilar to how R* may do the new GTA game...

.::: It's the combination of toon-shading and real-textures. They don't fit each other that well. I think I would have liked it more if they saturated the cel-shading in such a way that it would obscure the textures a bit more. Both effects are now at equal levels and at war with each other. One needs an upper hand, imo.

Crackdown is due to reach gold master in mid-Septmeber, but apparently isn't being released until January to avoid clashing with Gears of War, so read into that what you will...

It's cause Gears is a _________ title (yes, I forgot the term), so MS will move everything else around so it doesn't put anything else out against it.