The Kooks

Mike S

Why waste your energy hating the Kooks if you like something else?

I liked the first album, actually bought in preference to the Arctic Monkeys' debut that was out the same week... When I saw them on that Dead 60s tour, they were still raw but the songs were catchy. Definitely a spring/summer record.

Why waste your energy hating the Kooks if you like something else?

I liked the first album, actually bought in preference to the Arctic Monkeys' debut that was out the same week... When I saw them on that Dead 60s tour, they were still raw but the songs were catchy. Definitely a spring/summer record.

:)

Mike S lol.

<a href="http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=3750554" target="_blank">http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=3750554</a>

Elvium, Fridge and Pelican ... three tips from Mike for last year. That's some emo shite, some more emo shite, and a band who I've never heard of that wikipedia describes as "exemplary proponents of post-metal". Less said about that the better I reckon. Suffice to say Mike S likes fucking awful music and his critique of the Kooks any band ever should be ignored. If only we'd known back in 2005.

Emo? Mmmm.. not quite. :)

Anyway, I find the Kooks easily ignorable.. each to their own.

Mike S lol.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=3750554

Elvium, Fridge and Pelican ... three tips from Mike for last year. That's some emo shite, some more emo shite, and a band who I've never heard of that wikipedia describes as "exemplary proponents of post-metal". Less said about that the better I reckon. Suffice to say Mike S likes fucking awful music and his critique of the Kooks any band ever should be ignored. If only we'd known back in 2005.

Eluvium have produced maybe the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard.

It is fun to hate. I don't like the Kooks after I saw them interviewed on French tv and they were rude twats, but I reserve HATRED for cunts like Keane. And Razorlight. Mustn't forget Razorlight.......

CUNTS.

It is fun to hate. I don't like the Kooks after I saw them interviewed on French tv and they were rude twats, but I reserve HATRED for cunts like Keane. And Razorlight. Mustn't forget Razorlight.......

CUNTS.

I hate lots of bands too. There's nothing wrong with a bit of hating. It's the suggestion that there's something wrong with people who like them that annoys me. Just because you don't like a band doesn't mean noone else should. Comments like " Seriously, who buys this derivative shite?" would win an instant permaban if I was a mod.

Mike S lol.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=3750554

I hate lots of bands too. There's nothing wrong with a bit of hating. It's the suggestion that there's something wrong with people who like them that annoys me. Just because you don't like a band doesn't mean noone else should. Comments like " Seriously, who buys this derivative shite?" would win an instant permaban if I was a mod.

They arent terrible they're just so incredibley bland and samey. Scouting for girls are just as bad. Onion is right, though if you want to hate the band thats fine but dont hate the people who do like them

Aren't the Kooks all ex-stage school contemporaries of Kate Nash and Lily Allen? Granted, I learned that from watching Simon Amstell taking the piss on Buzzcocks, but still. A funny hat and a gargly northern accent do not an indie band make.

It's all very happy but completely unexciting music. I can't imagine many people are passionate about The Kooks.

Definitely. I like a number of bands, but there's only 5 or so that I would track down deleted vinyl-only interviews for.

These days, a large portion of music fans don't feel anything for bands beyond a general sentiment of "I quite enjoy dancing to this when I go out". Music exists purely to be listed on social networking sites. There's nothing wrong with it but it's just not a lot of fun to see everywhere.

Aren't the Kooks all ex-stage school contemporaries of Kate Nash and Lily Allen? Granted, I learned that from watching Simon Amstell taking the piss on Buzzcocks, but still. A funny hat and a gargly northern accent do not an indie band make.

Brighton School of Music, the others went to the BRIT (British Recording Industry) School in London. Singer Luke was going out with Katie Melua, don't know if he still is.

Brighton School of Music, the others went to the BRIT (British Recording Industry) School in London. Singer Luke was going out with Katie Melua, don't know if he still is.

For a while both Luke and Lily attended Bedales in Petersfield, Hampshire. I know from a friend that Allen wasn't there for long, but I have no idea about the kook.

Why has this thread been resurrected, have they got a new album out or something? :o

I saw these on Later and the interview with the singer was embarrassing. He'd obviously expressed an interest in The Rolling Stones, and had agreed beforehand that they would discuss them and their influence during the interview. So why did the lazy excuse for a man have nothing to say at all? In the end Jools answered the questions for him. It was really, really cringe worthy.

And what is it with that fucking accent when he sings, like a fucking yokel. When he talks he's your average home counties school boy.

• 4 weeks later...
Elvium, Fridge and Pelican ... three tips from Mike for last year. That's some emo shite, some more emo shite, and a band who I've never heard of that wikipedia describes as "exemplary proponents of post-metal".
Haven't heard much Elvium, or Fridge. I think I heard a track on a sampler for their record label, Temporary Residence. I mainly picked it up after seeing it had some Mono tracks on it, but it the Elvium track was great and certainly not emo. Don't remember the Fridge stuff, but one of their members is also Four Tet, who is ace and I find it difficult to see how he could be involved with could be emo.

My stance on The Kooks is that they're utterly harmless. Their music makes people happy, and personally I think criticising that is a pointless exercise.