The Kooks

Mike S

• 10 months later...

I'm going to call them 'The Cocks'! LOL

No it's okay I can be funny over email at work tomorrow just by metioning their song Jackie Big Tits.

I listened to the whole album. Some of the songs sounded a bit like the band Dodgy (especially the single), which made me all like :huh: but then lots of the other songs sounded pretty good really despite being nothing new or very original (that's what Mike S means by derivative, right?). Anyway they sounded like they'd be just awesome live. I like them, in a I probably won't bother to buy their album kind of way.

There music isn't anything new, lyrics aren't inspiring but the album is a good album. I like them and am not afraid to admit it. If you want pleasant "indie" background music there's nothing wrong with them.

NB I also haven't read the NME in about 13 years.

NME tossers with no imagination or initiative of their own.

I hope that little gem makes you feel better about your own music tastes! Because it doesn't serve any other purpose!!

As has been said, it's perfectly possible to enjoy an NME-darling band without buying the rag itself. It's good, solid pop fun, and it gets the hott indie girls dancing at clubs. Don't let it bother you.

I really do find this band loathesome.

Seen them once (could have seen them again for an acoustic set at the Lock Tavern in Camden, but couldn't be bothered and what is the point in queuing up for a band you don't like?) and that was at Koko when they supported Dead 60s.

Found them very middle of the road live. Their music sounded very bland and unimaginative.

I got round to listening to their album, found it very boring. Their lead singer is a twonk, as are some of the indiescenefagwhores who follow him about.

And their climb to 'stardom' is primarily through NME & MTV2. Unmitigated shite!

And that's the last I'll say on that chapter!

• 1 year later...

I read an interview with them (which is a terrible thing to admit) where they explained that they called the new album Konk because they liked the sound of the word. Fair enough, but they could have killed two birds with one stone and named the album and themselves Cock.

'Naive' was a guilty pleasure of mine and I used to defend them as such. Then a mate told me they're all posh southerners. Now I've got nothing wrong with posh southerners - I'm one, and so is my wife - but I figured that accent was an affliction rather than an affection. Why the fuck would you try to sing like that?

Then I realised I have no problem with the raft of UK bands past and present affecting American accents and got all conflicted. Then I remembered the lead singer's haircut and was conflicted no longer.

This time last year I got auditioned as a potential replacement bass player when their's decided he'd had enough. I got a call back too.

..What?

I didn't actually know it was for the Kooks! it was all very mysterious and secretive, they wouldn't tell us who the band were even after the my call back. Eventually they didn't have to as I think they got the original guy back.

Mike S lol.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=3750554

Elvium, Fridge and Pelican ... three tips from Mike for last year. That's some emo shite, some more emo shite, and a band who I've never heard of that wikipedia describes as "exemplary proponents of post-metal". Less said about that the better I reckon. Suffice to say Mike S likes fucking awful music and his critique of the Kooks any band ever should be ignored. If only we'd known back in 2005.

Mike S lol.

Elvium, Fridge and Pelican ... three tips from Mike for last year. That's some emo shite, some more emo shite, and a band who I've never heard of that wikipedia describes as "exemplary proponents of post-metal". Less said about that the better I reckon. Suffice to say Mike S likes fucking awful music and his critique of the Kooks any band ever should be ignored. If only we'd known back in 2005.

:)

Mike S lol.

This is probably the worst post I've ever seen in the music folder. Worse than that one from whoever was bigging up Akon - Lonely.