rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
beenabadbunny

Best Film Openings

On Film Four now, I'm reminded how good the opening of Star Trek 09 is. Love the music.

Equilibrium! The opening scene with the only lighting coming from the muzzle flare on Bale's guns was stunning and had my jaw on the floor in the cinema. While it suffered from a somewhat ponderous mid-section it also has one of the best finales of any movie I have ever seen. Gun Kata hallway = unbelievable!!

Has anyone mentioned The Player, yet?

Massively elaborate (pseudo) single-take tracking shot lasting around 8 minutes. Not exactly spectacular, but technically quite impressive, and juxtaposed nicely with a snippet of character dialogue about how modern films are all hyperactively cut/edited.

• Upvote 1

Goodfellas for me.

That moment of calm as you sit waiting for the film to start at which point it starts and bitch slaps you in the face with a moment of violent madness before starting the story.

• Upvote 1

How about the opening of South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. A musical opening styled like the beginning to Beauty and the Beast. Introducing all the characters.

As much as I think Tarantino is an overrated hack, the opening to Inglorious Basterds is brilliant.

Just a shame Django was so disappointing.

The Yellow Line race that opens Redline is arguably one of the most tremendous cinema experiences I've ever had.

Edit: The whole film is on Youtube, though the quality isn;t the best (IT MUST BE PERFECT).

I watched this last night on youtube in HD, gloriously insane!

No idea why, but this morning I woke up thinking about what a great opening ten minutes Highlander has. 

Connery's opening speech, the start of Princes of the Universe, as the camera flies over a Madison Square Garden crowd onto Macleod. The bizarre cuts to medieval Scotland, and then the incredible sword fight in the car park. 

• Upvote 2

Page 4, fella ;-)

(I only know this because I just reread the thread to see if I had mentioned Elektra.  Which I had.)

• Upvote 1

One I mentioned in the Great scenes in disappointing movies thread was Valerian and the City of a Thousands Planets: "It delivers the optimistic and inspirational Mass Effect/Star Trek vision of spaceflight and first contact, and (like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Martian) knows that adding David Bowie - even his most overplayed song - can improve any space montage."

• Upvote 3

Not sure if it has been mentioned before and I know a lot of people didn't get on with the film but I quite liked it.  I thought the opening to Man of Steel was brilliant.

• Upvote 1

I watched a film on Amazon Prime last night called Too Late, which was fantastic.  I'd not heard of it before, but it's a cracker.  The gimmick of the film is that it only contains five scenes, each about 22 minutes long, and all five of them are single, uninterrupted takes.  (Actually, I think there was a single edit in the final one, but it's forgivable.)

Anyway, the very first scene (22 minutes long) is brilliant, includes a mega zoom, split screen, and a character you first see a mile or so away literally driving to the scene in realtime.

• Upvote 1

That sounds great @Ste Pickford, Never heard of it either but have just added it to my Prime watchlist. Tonight's entertainment now sorted, thanks.

The Circle of Life on The Lion King (Original version not the remake).

On 19/03/2020 at 20:16, Goose said:

No idea why, but this morning I woke up thinking about what a great opening ten minutes Highlander has. 

Connery's opening speech, the start of Princes of the Universe, as the camera flies over a Madison Square Garden crowd onto Macleod. The bizarre cuts to medieval Scotland, and then the incredible sword fight in the car park. 

Which was recorded in Connery’s toilet in Marbella (the producers felt the film needed some explanation to introduce it, at the last minute asked Connery to record it and apparently had no idea it was recorded in his toilet until they watched the final cut and wondered what the excessive reverb was)

• Upvote 1

I like to think @beenabadbunny is still, 15 years later recommending films to the teacher. 

Oh God, it's him again. For the love of God, please stop!

• Upvote 2

On 22/03/2020 at 10:14, iknowgungfu said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned before and I know a lot of people didn't get on with the film but I quite liked it.  I thought the opening to Man of Steel was brilliant.

Space dildos alone make it worth the ticket price.