IGNORED

Gears Of War

pretentious_helvetica

click

Does no one actually actually have jobs to do and not time to refresh topics all the time?

Refresh the topic all the time? Hell all you had to do was look a MASSIVE 5 posts down from the post you quoted. A tall feat I know but surely not beyond the regular human ability. This place is turning into Groundhog 5 minutes.

Surely the Splinter Cell games should rate highly as an action game with a gripping story. There's a man in Georgia and he's been naughty, could possibly be a paedo so go get him. Games don't really need stories and the best ones, like Halo let you make your own through the game play.

With all the talk of game length, has anyone seen any mention of whether this is just for a single play through? The part I played had a branching bit, where you were in some tunnels and it asked you which way you wanted to go, and the two levels seemed to be totally different. I say "seemed" as I only played about 10 minutes after that point, so I don't know how long they were different for. If they had those all through the game, that would bump up the replayability a lot.

Hopefully someone will spill a bit more about this in a review later today.

Halo for both? :(

1. Halo. Half Life. Half Life 2.

2. Second Sight. Psi-Ops. Half Life 2.

Job done.

Metal Gear Solid 1 & 3

Half-Life 1 & 2

Ok, ok :(

Look I didn't want to start a massive arguement, since this is all subjective, etc etc. but the poinjt I wanted to make is:

People think Halo/Half Life have good stories. Please bear in mind I haven't read any of the (Halo) books or anything. I think the 'stories' in these games are absolute shite. The games shine though, and are immensely fun. I fail to see how the 'story' really affects the game in any capacity other than 'now we are in a DIFFERENT place, so now we have DIFFERENT enemies!', or 'Now it is the END of the game, therefore you get a REALLY GOOD WEAPON'.

The stories do not add anything to these games for me. Fair enough that people enjoy the narrative in games like this. But for a very combat/action-heavy title, story should be the last thing on our minds. What we need are nice contrls, a good difficulty level, and a capacity for showboating/getting mad skillz.

Like I said, you could remove the story from Resi 4 and it would still be an awesome game. Not as coherent maybe, but I couldn't really give a shit about Saddler/etc etc - all I want to is to have fun shooting/diving/chopping/blowing stuff up.

The stories do not add anything to these games for me. Fair enough that people enjoy the narrative in games like this. But for a very combat/action-heavy title, story should be the last thing on our minds. What we need are nice contrls, a good difficulty level, and a capacity for showboating/getting mad skillz.

Like I said, you could remove the story from Resi 4 and it would still be an awesome game. Not as coherent maybe, but I couldn't really give a shit about Saddler/etc etc - all I want to is to have fun shooting/diving/chopping/blowing stuff up.

Have to say that I'm in complete disagreement really. It doesn't matter if the story is basic or indepth - as long as it's coherant and fits, then I get much, much more enjoyment out of a game that includes it. Strange as it may be, I find killings and blowing things up rather boring without a decent reason why.

Ok, ok :(

Look I didn't want to start a massive arguement, since this is all subjective, etc etc. but the poinjt I wanted to make is:

People think Halo/Half Life have good stories. Please bear in mind I haven't read any of the (Halo) books or anything. I think the 'stories' in these games are absolute shite. The games shine though, and are immensely fun. I fail to see how the 'story' really affects the game in any capacity other than 'now we are in a DIFFERENT place, so now we have DIFFERENT enemies!', or 'Now it is the END of the game, therefore you get a REALLY GOOD WEAPON'.

If you remove the story, then you have no characters. Then you would only need intelligent dots in rooms.

Imagine playing Halo and suddenly an Elite appears. If there was no story, you could have an elephant appear and start fighting with Master Chief. If the action was good, you are telling me that you wouldn't mind a giant elephant appearing from nowhere and kicking Master Chief's ass? A story is important for your actions to have a meaning. Its not vital -like in an RPG- but for me its better to have one than not to.

Especially when we are talking about a blockbuster like Gears of War.

dood -

I understand that point of view, but in my opinion it's simplistic to say a bad story makes a bad single-player game, or a game can easily survive or not be improved without a better one.

It depends on how cinematics are handled, what the characters are like, how and in what ways they are integrated into the narrative of the action. On the most fundamental level, stories provide the structure or the drive to go forward.

All I can say is that Warrior Within was a far less compelling game than The Sands of Time. Fahrenheit was a classic example of how a story affects (an admittedly non-action) game in terms of it being involving for the first half, and then completely losing its way towards the end.

Would Stranger's Wrath have been as entertaining if all the bits and pieces which go to adding weight to the story (characters, developed world) if there had been no story? Psychonauts?

There's no doubt a good action game can still arise from a fairly average, hackneyed narrative (look at God of War) but there's also no doubt to my mind that a game like Gears of War, which seemingly carries off so much of its technology and art design with aplomb, would also benefit with as much care and attention as to why we're in that world. It's the action, but it helps when you've got more than just a bland, not-bothered, cursory reason as to why you're in there.

Far Cry was a beautiful game with interesting level design which although having flaws in its AI, didn't give me huge motivation to play it through to the end thanks to the mid-afternoon film on Five feel.

Gears of War deserves better than a 'non-existent story' (if Gamespot/Yahoo are believed to be true) and 'one-dimensonal characters' when you look at the work put in elsewhere.

Why wouldn't anyone want something more in terms of depth, attention, writing akin to BSG than Battlefield Earth?

Halo for both? :(

I couldn't tell you the Halo story if my life depended on it. And I loved Halo, not so much 2 though.

To me, if the story tells me something that helps with the game then fair enough. Otherwise, the current state of gaming narrative leaves me cold and with no desire to sit watching cut scenes when I could be actively chainsawing some shitbag's head in two. Any story in GoW will go down like a shit sandwich in my house.

Imagine playing Halo and suddenly an Elite appears. If there was no story, you could have an elephant appear and start fighting with Master Chief. If the action was good, you are telling me that you wouldn't mind a giant elephant appearing from nowhere and kicking Master Chief's ass?

Now, this is what a post should be like. I'd pay good money to see that happening in Halo 3.

If you remove the story, then you have no characters. Then you would only need intelligent dots in rooms.

Imagine playing Halo and suddenly an Elite appears. If there was no story, you could have an elephant appear and start fighting with Master Chief. If the action was good, you are telling me that you wouldn't mind a giant elephant appearing from nowhere and kicking Master Chief's ass? A story is important for your actions to have a meaning. Its not vital -like in an RPG- but for me its better to have one than not to.

Especially when we are talking about a blockbuster like Gears of War.

Story isn't necessary for a game to have a context though, is it? I mean, I personally prefer a bit of story, but I'm sure you could have had Halo minus the story, and as long as the context is stable then for those people who aren't into stories it would be just as good. As long as you didn't really have randomly spawning elephants, of course :( .

On a related note: isn't Space Invaders basically Halo's context minus the story? Or from the correct point of view: isn't Halo the Space Invaders context with an added story? Was Space Invaders any less enjoyable for the lack of story?

I think I'm probably just confusing everyone (including myself) here. :(

I couldn't tell you the Halo story if my life depended on it. And I loved Halo, not so much 2 though.

Fair enough. Although I'd willing to bet you could tell me the outline of what happens in Halo since you were an active particpant in most of the major events. That's not to say that you'd want to know all about the Spartan program and so on, but you're familiar with the purpose of the Halos, you know you're at war with the Covenant, you've questioned 343 Guilty Spark's motives and you know who the characters are and why they're there.

I'm all for balls-to-the-wall action in an action game but, in the right place, it's nice the have the background depth available if you want it. It needn't feel forced, as Half Life 2 ably demonstrates.

I don't want endless cutscenes in GoW any more than you do, and I don't expect it to be Flowers For Algernon, but I worry that having it take place on a decimated world might just be a crutch to have it feel a bit... soul-less. Which would be a shame since it looks excellent overall.

Problem is, the people who don't like stories in their games tend to be in the minority. It's like ripping all the background scenarios out of Ouendan - a game that has little to do with story would definitely be less enjoyable if the individual scenes were removed and you weren't cheering to save THE ENTIRE BLOODY PLANET, for instance.

Fair enough. Although I'd willing to bet you could tell me the outline of what happens in Halo since you were an active particpant in most of the major events.

I've debated whether to reply cos I might sound like I'm just making a point or whatever :( but I genuinely played Halo through as a series of a levels. I might have loosely followed some of the story at the time but if it wasn't directly telling me where I was and roughly why I'd have ignored it.

See, if it doesn't alter choices or the actual game then I'm not interested. I play games for the input and I watch movies for a story.

I can see how some people get enjoyment from a game story and it sucks them in but I'm not bothered. My playtime is playing, not watching.