IGNORED

The Wii Controller

JPickford (retired mod)

I do think they would use the gamecube pads to play the older games. But thats not nessasary meaning that you cant use the revolution pad.

There has got to be some reason as to why it features GC ports. I could understand for backwards compatability (ie donkey konga, mario party 6) but i dont think its just that.

Well, i think it may have been said, but it could attract an existing userbase.

But then if they were to sell there GC's, they'd proberly sell there pads too. Unless they have 3 or 4 and given then amount of party titles available - maybe thats high.

Its a crap theory though.

Other stupid things about needing two controllers - you'd need two full sets of pads for multiplayer games. I just cant see that happening.

It might be that it does use the Gamecube pad as standard for all games, but the Revolution is an additional peripheral you use at the same time, I suppose. A wrist attachment or something.

I agree all are good enough to play for hours and hours ... also a lot depends on the game. I'd prefer the GC pad for platformers, the PS2 one for trickgames like Tony Hawk and SSX and the Xbox pad for shooters and racers.

Yes.

I wish Game (or someone else) created an adapter so I could use my GC controller for certain PS2 games. Game sell one that allows people to use their PS2 controller on GC games, but really, what use is that?

For analogue control, the GC is best. And there are many PS2 games that use the analogue. How much more fun would San Andreas be if players weren't forced to stretch their thumb awkwardly throughout the entire adventure?

The octagon thing sounds pointless to me (I've only used the pad a couple of times), doesn't it just remove the whole point of the stick being analogue? Why not just use an 8 way d-pad?

And yes, I'm with Napole0n regarding the Controller S, it just seems perfect for every game I want to play. Although saying that - I just got the new monkeyball on the Xbox and the controls are horrible.

The octagon doesn't remove the point of the analogue in any way whatsoever.

It in fact enhances the precision of your control because it allows you full 360 degree analogue control as well as haveing each octagonal corner to give you precise points at 45 degree intervals around the entire circle so in games such as monkey ball if you line yourself up and want to roll forward in an exact stright line at full pelt you can do so easily whereas without the octagon you could easily find your self drifting off the straight line you originally set out on.

Man, there's going to be a lot disapointed people if Nintendo don't reveal anything Friday morning (certainly me, as I'll be there)!

Is it definitely 11.30 Jpn time?

Edit: its 11am till 11.50, preceded by an Xbox keynote speech. However, they've lumped these keynote speeches into the "Forum" part of TGS which is about "focusing on the latest technological and business trends in the game industry". So maybe they're not revealing anything at all, maybe this is just "shop talk", how dis-heartening! :ph34r:

http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2005a/english/forum.html

-Jools

The octagon doesn't remove the point of the  analogue in any way whatsoever.

It in fact enhances the precision of your control because it allows you full 360 degree analogue control as well as haveing each octagonal corner to give you precise points at 45 degree intervals around the entire circle so in games such as monkey ball if you line yourself up and want to roll forward in an exact stright line at full pelt you can do so easily whereas without the octagon you could easily find your self drifting off the straight line you originally set out on.

EXACTLY

:ph34r: Yawdib

Man, there's going to be a lot disapointed people if Nintendo don't reveal anything Friday morning (certainly me, as I'll be there)! 

Is it definitely 11.30 Jpn time?

Edit: its 11am till 11.50, preceded by an Xbox keynote speech.  However, they've lumped these keynote speeches into the "Forum" part of TGS which is about "focusing on the latest technological and business trends in the game industry".  So maybe they're not revealing anything at all, maybe this is just "shop talk", how dis-heartening!  :ph34r:

http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2005a/english/forum.html

-Jools

How did you score a press pass? 

EXACTLY

:ph34r: Yawdib

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I could play a game like Halo if I didn't have free movement of the analogue stick. There's quite a few games where I 'roll' the analogue stick around it's extremes, I can't imagine how annoying that might be on the GC rolling into each of the little notches.

Probably just me though.

The octagon doesn't remove the point of the  analogue in any way whatsoever.

Fine for something like Monkey Ball, but some games react to the very precise movement of a stick. I know I use the very edge of the curve aroud the stick on the S-pad a lot of for very fine movements. I like the Octagon on the GC pad, but it's not good for everything, it got used on the only pad that needed it really. It would have been unneccessary for the other two.

The C-stick, on the other hand, is just the shittest thing ever. Absolutely fucking useless and gimmicky for the sake of it, like the bollocks 'three hands' N64 pad.

You can see the ports in the pictures (renders, whatever) of the Rev, for starters.  They were present on the models shows at E3 apparently.

Space for GC memory cards, too.  That's TOTAL backwards compatability, there.  Bravo, Nintendo.

AWESOME.

I've only seen 1 picture of the Revolution before and that was front-on. I never read a great deal about it either.

The C-stick, on the other hand, is just the shittest thing ever.  Absolutely fucking useless and gimmicky for the sake of it, like the bollocks 'three hands' N64 pad.

C-Stick - oh yes, I agree totally. They could've just copied the normal stick.

N64 pads though, they were the first with analogue and had to leave the D-Pad in as they didn't know whether the Stick would be sucessful, hence the D-Pad being in the prominent position. This evolved obviously in the GC (and PS2 / Xbox) pads as the D-Pad was dropped into the less significant position.

They were just in unknown territory really I think. I can't think of 1 game on the N64 where I had a problem because of the pad. It does seem HUGE now though.

C-Stick - oh yes, I agree totally. They could've just copied the normal stick.

N64 pads though, they were the first with analogue and had to leave the D-Pad in as they didn't know whether the Stick would be sucessful, hence the D-Pad being in the prominent position. This evolved obviously in the GC (and PS2 / Xbox) pads as the D-Pad was dropped into the less significant position.

They were just in unknown territory really I think. I can't think of 1 game on the N64 where I had a problem because of the pad. It does seem HUGE now though.

Absolutely no reason they couldn't have done it with 2 grips though. People reguarly say 'Oh, but hardly any games used the D-Pad anyway, it didn't matter!' The reason it didn't matter and no games used the d-pad was because no fucker had enough hands for the thing. It is the single worst designed pad of all time, for that alone, regardless of the analogue stick and trigger. I can't think of any other pads that was stupid enough to have buttons literally unusable if you were trying to control the game using another part of the pad.

It's that sort of 'gimmicks to be different' thinking that pisses me off about Nintendo. For all the good and genuine innovations they have, they have someting needless and daft.

Absolutely no reason they couldn't have done it with 2 grips though.  People reguarly say 'Oh, but hardly any games used the D-Pad anyway, it didn't matter!' The reason it didn't matter and no games used the d-pad was because no fucker had enough hands for the thing.  It is the single worst designed pad of all time, for that alone, regardless of the analogue stick and trigger.

It's that sort of 'gimmicks to be different' thinking that pisses me off about Nintendo.  For all the good and genuine innovations they have, they have someting needless and daft.

I don't see why you'd need 3 hands though? If you used the D-Pad, you had your hand over that side. If you used the stick, you had the same (left) hand in the middle.

There weren't any games that used both as no-one thought of that at the time - ie, stick to move but D-Pad for options etc...

I don't see why you'd need 3 hands though? If you used the D-Pad, you had your hand over that side. If you used the stick, you had the same (left) hand in the middle.

There weren't any games that used both as no-one thought of that at the time - ie, stick to move but D-Pad for options etc...

Well exactly, you're limiting what the players and developers have options to simply by having 3 grips. You're forcing them to only use so many buttons on a pad, if you have a pad you want every feature to be used where possible.

Why make a pad where you can't use certain buttons? You should always have comfortable access to every function available to you, it's the sign of a good pad.

If they had made the stick and d-pad on one grip, then developers would have used both.

Except the PS2 stick wasn't put in the prominent position. The gits still have it in the worst position ever.

Good point :ph34r:

I hate the PS2 pad & sticks. The first time I played GTA 3 on there, on the first mission where all you have to do is drive the car cos the black guy has cut up his hands and the car needs respraying, I flipped the car over after about 10 metres of driving failing the mission. They are proper shit.

I don't like that line of thought. I don't want standard cross platform games on the Revolution.

One thing I liked about having this revolutionary controller is that developers couldn't just port games over from other consoles, they'd either have to rethink the game and modify it to fit the controls, or just not bother. Which is good, if I just want to play standard games I can buy a PS3 or 360 and the Revolution is a genuine alternative, something we haven't had for a long time.

I'd rather have a controller that combines some of the standard features we're accustomed to with some sort of revolutionary extra input built in.

So basically you are praising Nintendo for Isolating themselves further? I don't see how that can ever be a good thing for the gamer, the companies or Nintendo.

I also think the GC controller is crummy and "third part-esquw".

And bedore you call me a zealot, I do own all the current consoles and the DC and N64. (N64's controller has to be the worst controller ever, well, except the Atari Jaguar controller, but that doesn't count.)

I want to see a good controller this time, well placed buttons, easy to hold, all buttons can be pressed at the same time if you wanted to, propper anologue shoulder buttons, remove the z button an place it somewhere you can actually press it without breaking your fingers, and a bigger D-Pad, not some fart arsing 5 year old d-pad.

On the good side, the anologue stick was good, the left one that is.