Seeing a lot of "interesting" opinions on Trials of Osiris a few pages back, here's my thoughts on it.
Tried it out with Jerico and Ben, then Ben and Rambo, scoping it out, getting a feel for it. Got hammered as we played very conservative and soon found out that wasn't the way to go about it. We also had some good rounds, where it clicked for a bit, but it was obvious we were coming up against folks who were organised. You take that on board.
Then I had a few matches with Baz and RobotFalcon101. Taking what had been learned from my previous matches, I could feel myself contributing more and generally getting the hang of it.
Took what I learned into that match, the whole push and pull, constant communication and when to be aggressive and when not to.
So, on Monday this happened:
Which in turn meant I can enjoy the fun of sitting in this bad boy
Yes I'm a big kid
Now, as anyone will tell you who game with me regularly, I'm average when it comes to PvP, but ToO is a different kettle of fish. I learned from all of the above games, here's what I took from it all.
1) You can't be carried, it's just that simple. Learn to communicate and contribute, become valuable to your team, don't hesitate, be decisive.
2) Use weapons you are 100% comfortable with and make sure they're 365. It's all very well and good going in with a Hawkmoon or a Vex Mythoclast, but it needs to be upgraded fully. The same goes for any weapon at all really as the level advantages are in play here.
3) Do not blame your team mates for failure. You win together, you fail together. Give credit where due, commiserate when you lose. You have no divine right to win, you have to earn it. Some rounds you won't hit a target or register a kill, but the next round you could be totally MLG no-scope 360 killah and save your teams backside.
4) Stick relatively close together. Your team mates can't help you if you're on the other side of the map and you come across the entire opposition team by accident. Go scouting but never drift too far from each other.
5) ALWAYS BUY THE BUFFS! Always do the daily PvP for passage coins, and as Wavy pointed out, if you do the HoW playlist in the PvP section, it will literally piss coins at you. After 3 matches on one character, I had 19 after spunking all mine away at the weekend. Takes no time at all, and will help you when you get to the end of a trials passage.
6) Finally? ENJOY! You'll lose heavily, you'll get more cheese being thrown at you than an Emmental convention, but you'll also win, and it'll be glorious, trust me.
Ultimately I might never get to Mercury again, but I'll have fun trying each week I hope others will add their own experiences and advice.