Well I liked the beta overall! It wasn't perfect by any means, but the good definitely outweighed the bad for me and I'm hopeful I can finally wipe the bad taste of BO4 out of my mouth and get back into COD on a daily basis like a few years ago.
- Graphics: this the best that COD has ever looked IMO
- The guns and gunsmith: Spent a lot of my time making different class setups with the same guns but with different attachments and perks to see the variations and results. I have high hopes for this. The guns themselves also feel real meaty and it's the first time in a while that I feel the submachine guns and shotguns will be just as used as ARs (kind of like how MW2 was).
- The maps: I know there's a lot of hate at the moment about the fact the maps don't have the traditional 3 lane design etc. To me, I prefer these kinds of asymmetrical maps as they remind me of some of my favourites from MW2 like Aghan, Estate, Favela. Irregular shapes, places to hide and take a breather. Once you learnt them, they start making a lot more sense and you can rack up some kills. Also, new maps that will be introduced during the games lifecycle will be FREE.
- The killstreaks: Once I got over the personal UAV / UAV / Predator missile combo and unlocked some of the higher streaks like the VTOL (basically harriers from MW2) and the Pavelow one, they felt extremely effective. I love me some overpowered killstreaks.
- The different modes: I thoroughly enjoyed testing out night mode and the 2v2 gunfight modes. Can't wait for next weekend when Ground War 32v32 is introduced! Also, I'm sure they will have a Battle Royale map ready if not by launch then early next year.
- Crossplay - can't wait to see if this really ends up working.
The bad that a lot of people are complaining about:
- Lag: First day I experienced a bit of lag, but nothing more than normal. The rest of the 3 days felt smooth as butter (I'm on Middle Eastern servers though so it could be different for Europe and the States). Think this should be sorted out by the game's release.
- The mini-map. Really not sure why Infinity Ward broke something that didn't need fixing. The compass / different minimap combo they went with don't do it for me and hopefully they go back to the way the minimap has always been.
- The respawing - I don't want to wait 5 seconds to jump back in the game. Needs to be fixed.
- The spawns: sometimes the spawns were ridiculously shit, but Inifinity Ward claimed that it will be sorted by the time the game releases
- Camping: yes, there was a lot of camping. But I have a simple solution - they can just change the way the Ghost perk works. Currently, they just don't show up on the minimap at all. Change it so that they show up if they don't move out of a building or aren't moving at all for more than 3 seconds.
Overall, it's just a more old-school tactical shooter that remind me a lot of the original COD4 and MW2. And since those are my favourite two of the series (MW2 especially) I really have high hopes for this.
And whoever mentioned the microtransactions - what else did you expect from Activision? You don't have to buy them though. And word is that you will be unlocking them the more you play as well with daily challenges, etc.
Anyways, fingers crossed. And more impressions after this weekend.