Stephen King

• Please log in to reply
634 replies to this topic

#61 Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
  • Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

I'm a big Stephen King fan, especially the 80's period. I haven't read any of his books since "The Dark Half".

I'm looking forward to reading "The Dark Tower" series, but I wanted to wait until it was finished, because I hate having to wait for novels. I did the same with the Mallorean by David Eddings. Imagine having to wait for the 3 parts of Lord of the Rings to be published. The ending of "The Two Towers" was so down, it mist have been agonising.

Anyway, I digress. Favourite King books:

1. It
2. The Stand
3. Christine
4. Misery
5. Danse Macbre

I would also like to highlight the Skeleton Crew short story collection, that has The Mist, the Jaunt and another short story about taking short cuts on deserted country roads, this is a personal fave of mine. And one about a man stuck on a desert island.

Someone else mentioned the Tommyknockers. I don't like the whole book, but the first hundered pages were a real fun read.

The character Flagg from the Stand crops up again in "Eye of the Dragon", a King novel aimed at children.

Talisman features the same alternate Universe as the one in "The Dark Tower", this is the best section in that book.

What is most astounding about King is his productivity. If you check the dates when he is writting his books, his output in the 80's was amazing. You can see why he need Richard Bachman to publish a few, he just wrote too many novels.

The first phase of King's career is very much about intepreting the classic horror tropes; the vampire = Salem's Lot, ghosts = the Shining, mental powers = Dead Zone/Firestarter, apocalypse = The Stand.

So many books.

#62 Pink Oboe

Pink Oboe
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:27 PM

I think he's a great story teller, but a poor writer. He does characters fantastically, but his actual writing is pretty leaden stuff.

#63 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

Proof that story > writing.

#64 Pink Oboe

Pink Oboe
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:23 PM

Proof that story > writing.

View Post

Mmm. Not sure you can say that. Proof that good stories sells better than well written ones, maybe.

But then that's pretty obvious I guess.

#65 Wooldi

Wooldi
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

What are the best Stephen King books? I know he wrote a lot, but some must be better than others?

I started a couple of years ago with Hearts of Atlantis and after that I've read the Dark Tower series, It, Everything's Eventual, Insomnia and some more.
I enjoyed the Dark Tower books the most, but I'm not especially looking for books with obvious links.

#66 Percy Filth

Percy Filth
  • Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:18 PM

Pet Semetary
The Dead Zone
Christine

(dis-remember the films before you read them though)

Also Geralds Game, Carrie, The Stand, IT.

#67 villenium

villenium
  • Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

I only read Stephen King books when I was a teenager.

To be honest I found him to be a good storyteller but a poor writer. An ideas man, if you like.

My favourite (that I can remember) was a collection of stories called Skeleton Crew. It contained quite a long story called 'The Mist' which, as I recall, was aces.

#68 Percy Filth

Percy Filth
  • Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, his short stories are usually good. Skeleton Crew and Everythings Eventual are great.

#69 Metallichick

Metallichick
  • Members
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

The Stand (extended version) is my favourite Stephen King book. Rose Madder is good too.

#70 Eats hoops and leaves

Eats hoops and leaves
  • Members
  • 27549 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:32 PM

'Misery' is his only really well-written book. But like somebody said above, that's not you should go in expecting with King.

I'd say go with:

Misery
IT
The Tommyknockers
'Salems Lot

#71 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 52471 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

I could read The Talisman over and over and over and not get tired with it. Also It, The Stand, Insomnia, The eyes of the dragon, and The Tommyknockers.

#72 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 29819 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

My favourites of all his books were IT and Christine. Give those 2 a whirl if nothing else takes your fancy, great books, pretty scary too.

#73 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 52471 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

My favourites of all his books were IT and Christine. Give those 2 a whirl if nothing else takes your fancy, great books, pretty scary too.

Oh aye, I forgot all about Christine.

#74 Percy Filth

Percy Filth
  • Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

I cant believe you're reccomending The Tommyknockers. Great start, terrible ending (the ending being about 200 pages).

I forgot about Misery (the film was probably better though). The Shining maybe? its difficult to remember what the book was like after seeing the film.

#75 Wooldi

Wooldi
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:51 PM

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.
I haven't seen any of the films that are based on his books, partly because horror/scary movies aren't really my thing. (I know, I'm a pussy). I love scary or very tense books though.
I heard The Green Mile is very good too?

#76 Metallichick

Metallichick
  • Members
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:56 PM

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.
I haven't seen any of the films that are based on his books, partly because horror/scary movies aren't really my thing. (I know, I'm a pussy). I love scary or very tense books though.
I heard The Green Mile is very good too?

Yes, read the book, watch the film (not horror at all). One of my favourite films of all time.

Also, Shawshank Redemption.

#77 boxoctosis

boxoctosis
  • Members
  • 7521 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:02 PM

Again, I read a lot as a teenager, and nothing since.

My favourites -

It
Christine
The Stand (extended)

His short stories are excellent too - generally quite mixed, but worth digging out.

#78 Rygal - Reader of Threads

Rygal - Reader of Threads
  • Members
  • 4230 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:04 PM

The Dark Tower 1-7

#79 Paradigm

Paradigm
  • Members
  • 29001 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

The Dark Tower 1-7

I was amazed it had gotten this far without it being recommended.

#80 Wickedkitten

Wickedkitten
  • Members
  • 52471 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:11 PM

I cant believe you're reccomending The Tommyknockers. Great start, terrible ending (the ending being about 200 pages).

I forgot about Misery (the film was probably better though). The Shining maybe? its difficult to remember what the book was like after seeing the film.

I liked the book.

Actually the only Stephen King book that I wasn't too impressed with was The Girl who loved Tom Gordon but then again I've only read it the once.

#81 thingymajig

thingymajig
  • Members
  • 3725 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

He's already read it.

However, it's easily Stephen King's best work.

#82 Wooldi

Wooldi
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Probably because I mentioned in the first post that I already read them. :)

#83 Lorfarius

Lorfarius
  • Members
  • 29819 posts

The film and book were pretty much the same, both very good. However the book was a lot more graphic (she cripples him with a sledgehammer at one point. The film uses hammer plus blocks with his feet inbetween, the book is just a huge swing and cccrraaacckkk).

#84 FishyFish

FishyFish
  • Supporters
  • 11360 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

'Salems Lot. It's perfect.

#85 Paradigm

Paradigm
  • Members
  • 29001 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

Probably because I mentioned in the first post that I already read them. :)

I know - I was commenting on the fact that it gets so much praise around these parts that I was amazed that someone hadn't bothered to not read your post previously and run straight to the add reply button.

(I've not read them. Shame on me!)

#86 thingymajig

thingymajig
  • Members
  • 3725 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:22 PM

Get The Gunslinger down you then.

It may seem a bit slow, but it's establishing a story line that shall be continued over six other books.

#87 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41440 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

The Stand (extended version) is my favourite Stephen King book.

How different is it to the original version?

#88 Retroid

Retroid
  • Members
  • 7275 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

I think Christine's pretty good, I was about 12 when I read it... I've also seen the film so I can't quite remember if I finished it or not (it was a pretty big book).

#89 Metallichick

Metallichick
  • Members
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

How different is it to the original version?

I've not read the original I'm afraid, but the extended edition has about 400 or so extra pages. In the preface, Stephen King says that "As I've said, you won't find old characters behaving in strange new ways, but you will discover that almost all of the characters were, in the book's original form, doing more things, and if I didn't think some of those things were interesting - perhaps even enlightening - I would never have agreed to this project."

#90 Couch Corpse

Couch Corpse
  • Members
  • 10099 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

I've only read Salem's Lot and Misery, both excellent. Salem is one of the few (only?) things in any medium I found scary, I had to stop reading at times and check my surroundings. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users