Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Unlighty

Indian Food

11 posts in this topic

Ok I'm heading out for an Indian tonight, within the next hour.

However, I dont really know too much about Indian food. Sure, I've had the usual masala or tikka, but I'm wanting to taste something a bit more special.

I dont like really spicy stuff at all, but I dont like them all mild and creamy.

Can anyone recommend me something good to try? :)

Lamb Rogan Josh (may be spelled differently) - tomatoey sauce, quite chunky, not creamy. Not hugely spicy (4 out of 10 on the hotness scale, where 1 is mild and 10 is hothothot), but enough to give it a kick.

CJ

Thanks for the tips! Will keep it in mind!

Any other tips before I head out?

If you get poppadums, try putting the mango chutney *and* the onion salad on the poppadum. That's lovely.

Dupiaza dishes might be worth a try if you like onions.

Biryani dishes are worth a go - where the meat is prepared with the rice, rather than served separately.

CJ

So much choice, so little stomach room!

Thanks - think I might get some sort of Dupiaza - a nice onion dish would go down well.

Poddadums are a certainty !

I think you might like a Bhuna, always tend to go for Chicken Bhuna which is beautiful nice tomatoey sauce and not too hot.

I would always recommend going for the "I've never heard f that, I'll have it!" approach to going for a curry. Otherwise you'll just end up eating a variation on a Chicken Tikka Massala at every restaraunt you go to.

I've tended to look through the chef's specials lately. These usually come with rice or naan included, and so only really cost a few pence more than the standard curries.

But if I'm eating from the standard menu I'll have Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Jalfrezi, Mixed Byriani or Garlic Chilli Chicken Balti.

I like a Lamb Dhansak myself.

The USP of this dish is a sauce made from lentils, sugar and lemon juice. It's quite a thick, sweet sauce, mildly spicy, but not overly so. Very satisfying just with some chapatis.

I like King Prawn Ceylon, but it varies from place to place in taste and spiciness so it's a wild card.

The one from K9 in Wimbledon is a winner though...at least it was ten years ago :unsure:

Bhuna is my 'standard' though I've really been getting into the Lamb Pasanda - yeah, it's mild, but it's damn nice. Think I'll try a Dhansak next time (makes a mental note to try the local curry house soon).

Oh, and Peshwari naan bread's are where the sundries are at.