Deus Ex:the Conspiracy (ps2)...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Unofficial Who

Unofficial Who
  • Members
  • 15613 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:08 AM

You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.

It seems to be common knowledge that the PS2 doesn't have an FPS that's worth playing. X-Box has Halo. Gamecube has Metroid.

And the PS2 has Deus Ex.

The early impressions aren't good. The graphics are bland. The plot cliched. ("Oh, I'm a cybernetic supercop who wears his sunglasses at night? How quaint.")

However (after playing through the dull, optional but necessary tutorial) you soon realise that you're free to do what you want within your mission.

It's not just weapon choices but strategic approaches. There isn't a right way to do any mission. You can be Rambo and try to shoot your way through. Or sneak around like Snake and avoid/disable guards. Or hack into their security systems and get their automated defences to attack them. You can change your tactics as the situation demands it.

While the game looks like your typical shooter it plays more like a first person roleplaying game. Skills do come into play, however points are awarded not by killing all and sundry but by completing mission objectives, finding secret areas and sometimes finding a subtle solution to a problem.

Even simple problems have multiple solutions. The common problem of a locked door can be sorted by finding the right key. Or using a lockpick. Or by hacking into a nearby security system and unlocking it electronically. Or, if you don't care how much attention you'll attract blowing up the door using an explosive.

Customising your agent also offers you choices that affect how you play the game. Do you augment your agent to run fast or run silent? Resist bullets or energy weapons. You can even give him a portable floating camera if you want.

People within the game aren't just lifeless drones either. They react not only to what you say but what you do. Pull out your gun in a crowded place and they'll run. Hell, you'll even get told off by the boss for looking into the ladies room back at base.

As a result, every choice feels like it actively affects the game. Every conversation branch feels like it's going to affect the situation. Simple decisions made early on feel like they have a real impact later. This also means that two different players might have completely different experiences playing the game.

There are some differences to the PS2 version. The character models have been improved. Some of the hub models have been changed. The loading times are longer. And the control system has been tweaked. (The inventory system is much better than the PC version.)

It's the choices offered and the way the game adapts to them that makes this game special. You really feel like your choices and actions make a difference. If you want an FPS with depth seek this out now.

Posted Image

#2 linkster

linkster
  • Members
  • 26400 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:22 AM

Good stuff, but is it an FPS? Is it an RPG? Is it something totally different, unique, amazing, adventurous, just brilliant and that everyone should play? Even on PS2? Frankly yes.

#3 Tottoro

Tottoro
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:58 AM

cant wait woot

#4 bplus

bplus
  • Members
  • 4886 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

its one of the few games i ve ever completed, its totally ace and completely unrivalled. I only started playing it years after its release on pc.

#5 bastion

bastion
  • Members
  • 26633 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

I still play it on the PC to this day. It's probably my favourite game of all time.

The lack of an Xbox port still grates.

Nice review, but you seem to have missed one of the most important things about Deus Ex: the astonishingly good music.

#6 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 20279 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:58 AM

Should have licenced some bangin' choons for the Lucky Money club though... ;)

#7 linkster

linkster
  • Members
  • 26400 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

Nice review, but you seem to have missed one of the most important things about Deus Ex: the astonishingly good music.

View Post

Tis true. I have Hong Kong Streets on a mix CD in my car.

#8 spaceyjase

spaceyjase
  • Members
  • 11278 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

Is this after Invisible War then? Ah...

The lack of an Xbox port still grates.

Fuck it then :o

#9 bastion

bastion
  • Members
  • 26633 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:03 PM

Eh?

I've got IW on the Xbox, but it'd have been nice to have both of them on there.

Also: linkster, I've downloaded the soundtracks to both Deus Ex and it's sequel and listen to them frequently on my mp3 player :huh:

#10 Tequila

Tequila
  • Members
  • 3936 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

Eh?

I've got IW on the Xbox, but it'd have been nice to have both of them on there.

Also: linkster, I've downloaded the soundtracks to both Deus Ex and it's sequel and listen to them frequently on my mp3 player :huh:

View Post

Same.

Nothing beats the NYC Streets track when it kicks in.

#11 linkster

linkster
  • Members
  • 26400 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:33 PM

Is this after Invisible War then?  Ah...
Fuck it then :)

View Post

Well some of the PS2 levels had to be cut down, so it would have been good. Any excuse to play it again.

#12 Shepperton

Shepperton
  • Members
  • 1745 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

I worked in QA upon Deus Ex PS2, and no matter how many times I completed it (and in every language know to man and beast), and how many hours I have spent on that game, it is still one of my favs ever. The number of different possibilities you have as a player to approach the missions really is immense. Great stuff.

I salute you Deus Ex PS2.

#13 bplus

bplus
  • Members
  • 4886 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

I worked in QA upon Deus Ex PS2, and no matter how many times I completed it (and in every language know to man and beast), and how many hours I have spent on that game, it is still one of my favs ever. The number of different possibilities you have as a player to approach the missions really is immense. Great stuff.

I salute you Deus Ex PS2.

View Post

fuck that would be a nice job!

#14 spaceyjase

spaceyjase
  • Members
  • 11278 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:11 PM

I meant in time line like -- recently got through IW and while deeply flawed in places, it was mostly enjoyable. Flawed as in everyone gets killed by the same mechanism over and over again, mission choices are irrelevant throughout the game with the final decider being on Liberty City Island, pretty much all the physics being broken and the player being given the opportunity to over-power themselves very early on in the game (which goes back to my first point).

Good fun mind.

#15 bplus

bplus
  • Members
  • 4886 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

was there any mods to fix IW on the pc

#16 Fry Crayola

Fry Crayola
  • Members
  • 19529 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

It came with an uninstaller, yes.

Ho ho!

Sorry.

#17 linkster

linkster
  • Members
  • 26400 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:34 PM

I meant in time line like -- recently got through IW and while deeply flawed in places, it was mostly enjoyable.  Flawed as in everyone gets killed by the same mechanism over and over again, mission choices are irrelevant throughout the game with the final decider being on Liberty City Island, pretty much all the physics being broken and the player being given the opportunity to over-power themselves very early on in the game (which goes back to my first point).

Good fun mind.

View Post

Not to derail the thread but I started that game with such hopes and was soon so powerful, with canisters aplenty, that it was like playing in god mode. Robbed me of any real enjoyment.

#18 spaceyjase

spaceyjase
  • Members
  • 11278 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

D'oh. Thanks man. I wondered if it would fix many of the things wrong with IW and produce a better game.

*crosses off the list*

#19 skunko

skunko
  • Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

I meant in time line like -- recently got through IW and while deeply flawed in places, it was mostly enjoyable.  Flawed as in everyone gets killed by the same mechanism over and over again, mission choices are irrelevant throughout the game with the final decider being on Liberty City Island, pretty much all the physics being broken and the player being given the opportunity to over-power themselves very early on in the game (which goes back to my first point).

Good fun mind.

View Post

yeah,a long way in, before getting to a point where i had very little ammo, and there were loads of guards, accidently saved instead of loaded and now am stuck in an impossible position, oh well, wasnt as good as the 1st one anyway, which i completed many times

#20 spaceyjase

spaceyjase
  • Members
  • 11278 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

I got nearly all the way through the game stabbing people to death with a poise knife I found early on in the game. If you crouch/crawl up to them, two hits and they're gone.

That was until the armoured blokes but by then I'd got +3 mod on the strength and had some sword instead. Again, two hits and they're teh deaded ;)

In other words, ammo was never a problem.

#21 skunko

skunko
  • Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

interesting, you have spurred me on to have another go...

#22 pinholestar

pinholestar
  • Members
  • 1588 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:48 PM

yeah,a long way in, before getting to a point where i had very little ammo, and there were loads of guards, accidently saved instead of loaded and now am stuck in an impossible position

View Post

Same thing happened to me. Got to a bit in Antarctica that was literally impossible to do with the ammo that I had. Pissed me off no end it did.

I should really go back & play it again, because I'm curious to know how it all ends.

(Deus Ex 1 is much better though...)

#23 Guest_henofdoom_*

Guest_henofdoom_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:53 PM

The PC version is so poorly optimized I was tempted to buy this again on ps2, but decided against it at the last mo. Still, plenty of fun to be had...

#24 linkster

linkster
  • Members
  • 26400 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:17 AM

You should buy it anyway. The levels aren't as big and it's a bit easy, but you can play it on the telly and the interface is good.

#25 henofdoom

henofdoom
  • Members
  • 1606 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:36 PM

You should buy it anyway. The levels aren't as big and it's a bit easy, but you can play it on the telly and the interface is good.

If I see it second hand, I will...

I still think its kind of ironic that my computer can handle Unreal Torny 2004 better than Deaus Ex. Still, not as bad as Flashpoint was for optimization

#26 linkster

linkster
  • Members
  • 26400 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:49 AM

If I see it second hand, I will...

It's probably as cheap new. They've been giving it away practically since it was released :( Other than me who bought it full price from the V store (after GAME refused to accept my signature :ph34r: I even had cash but fuck them. Spotty little bastard.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users