Illustration Club

• Please log in to reply
6914 replies to this topic

#6271 cowfields

cowfields
  • Members
  • 3161 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

I trained at degree level and it did nothing but rack up loads of debt and make me depressed. I also didn't learn how to draw anything really, so don't even dare bother thinking that it matters.

I mean, just look at me now! Fat lot of good it did me.

HERE'S WHAT I DUN DID IN THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS:

Posted Image

I mean, it didn't take me two whole weeks, but in between working my incredible day job and lying comatose on the floor...

What are they made out of? They're lovely.

With what you said about a degree though, I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you say it didn't help a career as a top end illustrator for big corporations, I guess not. I didn't do a degree either, and all I'll say is if you don't spend 3 years working on technique, ideas, anything around "Your Art" it's incredibly hard to develop it with a job getting in the way. I mostly miss from my foundation course the fact that I was "full time" art at that point, most of my week was spent thinking about what it all meant to me, developing technique, ideas, etc.

I mean if you did it, and then get a job, you're on a head start. But for me right now I feel like I spent so much of my twenties not really doing anything, and I'm really starting it up again now. Trying to have some sort of creative process. I'm seeing more exhibitions, I'm sketching more, I'm thinking harder. But it's still too easy to come home after work and just relax with a glass of wine than to start whatever.

My problem is I dont' really know what my style is, where I want to go. Every artist in a gallery seems to have a concept. I don't know what my concept is, other than maybe a kind of Richter influenced photographic technique (as I say, I want to paint shallow depths of field) but I still do a painting and think "hmm painting by numbers here".

I'm not worried, it's just that it takes time and space to untangle the swirl of thoughts in your brain into some kind of cohesive body of work, otherwise you are really just sketching, some sketches might be a nice accomplished oil painting, but they're still kind of just sketches. If that makes sense.

I mean something you should be really proud of, Loz, is that you're one of those posters here (and many other places I'm sure) that could post anonymously and we'd know exactly who made it. You've got a theme, and a style, and I'm quite jealous of that.

#6272 Melon_Bread

Melon_Bread
  • Members
  • 3576 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

POPULAR

A PS Vita wallpaper I made from artwork I did for our new game Floating Cloud God, available now for free if your a PS+ subscriber...

Posted Image

#6273 cowfields

cowfields
  • Members
  • 3161 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

POPULAR

Self Portrait:

Posted Image

#6274 GrannySmiths

GrannySmiths
  • Supporters
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

That's a brilliant self portrait cowfields! What material is it done in? The colours and tones are fantastic and really like the textures too

and Loz your little creatures are ADORABLE! lovely work :)

#6275 cowfields

cowfields
  • Members
  • 3161 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks. It's oil on some of that canvas style heavyweight paper. It came out better than expected. I worked from a photo, and took it lit by a red lamp and a green lamp.

Paintings like this are fun in the end but frustrating at first. First few hours its looking all weird and i feel like quitting, but I kept plugging away at it and it all sort of came together and I'm quite pleased with it.

#6276 minkee

minkee
  • Members
  • 2167 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

A PS Vita wallpaper I made from artwork I did for our new game Floating Cloud God, available now for free if your a PS+ subscriber...

<awesomeness>

Love it, Melon

#6277 Timbuktu

Timbuktu
  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

My problem is I dont' really know what my style is, where I want to go. Every artist in a gallery seems to have a concept. I don't know what my concept is, other than maybe a kind of Richter influenced photographic technique (as I say, I want to paint shallow depths of field) but I still do a painting and think "hmm painting by numbers here".

I'm not worried, it's just that it takes time and space to untangle the swirl of thoughts in your brain into some kind of cohesive body of work, otherwise you are really just sketching, some sketches might be a nice accomplished oil painting, but they're still kind of just sketches. If that makes sense.

I dunno, i'm not sure if we can find a style and figure out a style in our head and then commit to paper/canvas or whatever. Maybe some people can i don't think i do, it is fun to start without knowing the ending, go with instinct then try to figure out why i want something. Just listened to an interview with composer Philip Glass and i quite like what he said,

http://www.scottberk...-on-creativity/
http://www.npr.org/2...er-philip-glass

"In order to arrive at a personal style, you have to have a technique to begin with. In other words, when I say that style is a special case of technique, you have to have the technique ó you have to have a place to make the choices from. If you don't have a basis on which to make the choice, then you don't have a style at all. You have a series of accidents."

"...The real issue isnít finding your voice, itís how to get rid of it. Itís getting rid of the damn thing. Because once youíve got the voice youíre kind of stuck with it."

What struck me most in all the retrospectives recently of Richter and Freud was just how much work they've done and how they've kept going for decades after decades. Maybe more so with Richter, but both broke away from they 'style' or tried to, continusously.

#6278 cowfields

cowfields
  • Members
  • 3161 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Ah that's a good post, thanks.

Yes, I think maybe I just can't see my own style, like you can't hear your own accent.

Or something. I should stop worrying about it. I just think I need to get some kind of cohesiveness to what I'm doing, so that it's not just random. I'd like to try and put together an exhibition at some point, I know enough artists that getting work together and people is no problem. It's not even that hard to find space I'm sure. It's just that I wouldn't be ready to exhibit my work yet because it'd feel too random for an exhibition. But I mean all that's okay, I think just acknowledging it and carrying on plugging away at it will get me what I want.

Certainly I have certain things and ways I want to paint so I do actually have some kind of theme in my head. It's quite fun, I don't think I've ever had this much of an idea what I'm doing and I haven't enjoyed it quite as much as I have right now. Exciting time. It only took me 10 years...

#6279 Nomad

Nomad
  • Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

They say style is what you're left with once you've tried everything. How did you come up with your handwriting?
Nice selfportrait btw ;)

#6280 Varnsen

Varnsen
  • Members
  • 1285 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hey Cowfields, that's a nice self portrait, well done.

One thing sticks out to me and that's the bottom right of the picture. The directionality of your brush strokes and the flatness of the lighting in that part of the image I find a bit distracting and at odds with the rather nice texture and dramatic lighting of the rest of the piece. The green also seems a little more saturated and brighter than the rest and draws the eye away a little.

#6281 redballoon

redballoon
  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Some early versions of the sprites for a ZX Spectrum remake/update of the classic arcade game 'Berzerk'.
The Humanoid, 2 versions of the robot and Evil Otto.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6282 redballoon

redballoon
  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Aaaannd the new look logo for it (actual and double size).

Posted Image Posted Image

#6283 cowfields

cowfields
  • Members
  • 3161 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

My sister this time. Going to give this and the self portrait to my Mum as it's her birthday soon.

Attached Files

#6284 Hemzoozlefluff*

Hemzoozlefluff*
  • Members
  • 9500 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Fantastic! I love your style. The colours, the brush effects. :D

#6285 Timbuktu

Timbuktu
  • Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

I like how you and redballoon use the same colours by coincidence. Now looking at these together, I get the feeling that the people in the paintings are staring at a screen in a darkened room and the colours on their faces hint at what they're looking at. The webcam-like angles help I think.

#6286 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2794 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Oh I don't know where to put this.... You now that artist a couple of years ago who did pictures of kids with angel wings made of AK 47s? Anyone know his name? Trying to find out to tell a student....

#6287 Yozhik

Yozhik
  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Needed to do something creative and didn't have any stuff, so here is what I painted with instant coffee. It's not really illustration and the pic is a dodgy one off my webcam but I quite like the rabbit in the centre, so I'm posting it here.
Posted Image

#6288 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2794 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sketchshare time, my current favourite app on iPad. Two - four player draw doodling, all on the same screen, all chatting to each other as you do. Marvellous I say, marvellous!

#6289 Loz Boz

Loz Boz
  • Members
  • 11553 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

Hi chaps. As ever, a fleeting visit to drop visual bombs.

Here are some things you may enjoy:

Posted Image Posted Image

This is a commission I got, off the back of that first little green guy I did a few pages back. A sweet feeling indeed.

Next is a piece of work I don't think I'm allowed to fully show til the gallery opens up on May 4th. Obviously it's Star Wars based. Jabba and his Rancor playing in the sandpit. Here's my blurred up preview:

Posted Image

And last but so not least, here's the preview of my latest Dunny that I've done. I'm pretty pleased with this one, I feel like I've done a really fucking good job on it, and it's rare that I'm pleased with anything. Obviously when it's sale time I'll show the full shebang, but for now, please enjoy the colours, as I do. I've never been able to get that purple quite how I wanted it, til I did this. Score for me!

Posted Image

#6290 SpaceJump

SpaceJump
  • Members
  • 1597 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

Some fantastic work in this thread, gives me that creative buzz everytime i peer in here! I got a tablet a few months ago and have only recently got around to spending much time with it after initialy finding it quite frustraiting (the disconnect between tablet and screen) i'm finding myself getting over that hump now though. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good books/tutorials on the creation of digital art using a tablet, a preemtive thanks.

#6291 sir stiff_one

sir stiff_one
  • Members
  • 38236 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Those little models of yours are so dope Loz. You have a serious gift when it comes to that sort of thing. Your sushi dudes a while back were similarly excellent.

Could you make any decent money off of making and selling stuff like that full time? Like at those big expos and stuff?

#6292 Loz Boz

Loz Boz
  • Members
  • 11553 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Those little models of yours are so dope Loz. You have a serious gift when it comes to that sort of thing. Your sushi dudes a while back were similarly excellent.

Could you make any decent money off of making and selling stuff like that full time? Like at those big expos and stuff?

I'm trying to build up some recognition on Twitter and Tumblr and all that bollocks, but it's very hard. It's hard to thrust things in people's faces and keep a delicate balance of not annoying people, at the same time. I need people to repost and reblog things, but I feel so intrusive asking for it.

I have done a couple of small shows and made a decent amount over two days. These being comic cons, so not exactly the right crowd. I think I could make more at a bigger event, however, getting there is an issue. I don't drive, and I would need a massive van, as the amount I took to the comic con last year filled 6 of those huge storage boxes plus 2 of these big fellas:

Posted Image

So it was manageable in a minibus taxi, but there's no way I could conceivably do this for something big like San Diego Comic Con or anything decent, and overseas. Despite how much I want to, because my dead end job is torture next to sitting on the sofa making things.

I need to send pictures of my work to the right people and places. I'm just not quite sure who, or where they are.

Trying though >_<

#6293 Loz Boz

Loz Boz
  • Members
  • 11553 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hey guys,

Here's the whole kaboodle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6294 cleandemon

cleandemon
  • Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

POPULAR

Well done Loz.

I've drawn some things for some peoples:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6295 Loz Boz

Loz Boz
  • Members
  • 11553 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

POPULAR

I forgot to come back and say, that I sent that pic of my little fella up there, to a blog, and it got a nice big feature, which set off a chain reaction all over the vinyl toy blogs, everybody got rather excited, and I sold it extremely fast for good money.

I am currently the toast of toy town, which is really rather wonderful and many famous toy customisers are dropping compliments on me like the sky is raining. People are now requesting my business friendship on facebook and I'm getting fans.

Good times. Feels excellent.

I have just finished another one as well, but you have to leave time in between so people don't get bored.

Thankyou for your support, guys.

#6296 cleandemon

cleandemon
  • Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Good news! Out of interest, about how long does one of those customs take you to do?

#6297 Loz Boz

Loz Boz
  • Members
  • 11553 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

It's intermittant work really.

(please excuse spelling , I have been on a works night out.)

First, you have to strip the shitty paintjob off the plastic figure, then prime it with bike paint. Wait for it to dry.

Then you can, if you want to, I like to, sculpt on it. Then you wait for it to dry.

Then you paint on it. If you're doing a decent job, the paint job has to be slick, which means a few coats with thinner in it. Each time you coat it, you wait for it to dry.

Then you add your detail or whatevers. Then wait for it to dry.

So in all I would say each one takes, in total, about 5-6 hours, maybe less. It's the drying time that's the killer. You do something, go away for a bit and do something, then come back to the work, in stages. It's hard to add it up, it's a cumulative task. I have bought a heat gun which is basically a superhot hair dryer, supposedly for embossing or something, but I got it for £6 on ebay and it cuts drying time by an incredible amount.

Also, I am just beginning to build reputation, so obviously can't ask for insane amounts of money for my work just yet. TBH just the recognition right now, is the biggest boost I've had in such a long time, I'm happy to be known. It's really pretty great. I can't wait to ring my mum and tell her, tomorrow. She won't understand any of it, as it's "just toys" but I'm that chuffed I actually want to let her know I've done something good.

x

#6298 sir stiff_one

sir stiff_one
  • Members
  • 38236 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

So awesome, you absolutely deserve a stroke of good luck and I hope the profile boost has a long term effect.

#6299 Loz Boz

Loz Boz
  • Members
  • 11553 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thankyou thankyou :hat:

#6300 Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch
  • Members
  • 20265 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Agree with stiff.