The Rllmuk Metal Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16398 replies to this topic

#91 kerraig UK

kerraig UK
  • Members
  • 19932 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:25 PM

Yeah antihero is from their shadows fall stage (gone forever). The singer is this mean big black rasta dude and you just dont expect him to sound that ferocious.

They are possibly my favourite metal band.

Reject the sickness - crazily complex and brutal
Determination - Straight up heavy metal. Guitar solos, two part guitar harmonies etc
Gone Forever - Taking the commercial route but still madly complex yet catchy

See if you can get the songs go your own way, determination part 1 & broken promise

#92 RJames

RJames
  • Members
  • 15810 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:38 PM

What's that God Forbid track they play at Rockit - the one with the stupidly amazing solo?

Maybe dam will PREFER the production on Sounding. I know it's more raw... but I don't think you could call it 'better'... there's just hardly any of it B)

...and as you well know, I like Sounding at least as much as Waking!

#93 Manny

Manny
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:08 PM

Eden Maine are great - only seen them once -- where are they playing?

At the Barfly in Camden on Tuesday.

Whoever mentioned At The Gates. I recently borrowed the album with Blinded by Fear on it (can't remember what it was called). Quality, but I hear their other albums are pretty crap in comparison. I remember hearing Blinded by Fear on Noisy Mothers years ago :D (anyone actually remember that, and the nutcase who used to present it?)

#94 mr.miffed

mr.miffed
  • Members
  • 13744 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:29 PM

With Krusher and bullseye the dog?

I saw an episode once that had 2 rancid videos, 1 nofx video and two live performances. I had it on tape and was right in my death metal is the only valid form of music phase and I used to watch it in secret.

I loved that show, first time I heard pantera was on it.

#95 Manny

Manny
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:43 PM

That's the chappy. I heard him on some internet radio station a while ago, might have to dig it out.

I just downloaded Antihero by God Forbid, I like this. Nice one!

I've only got a couple of God Forbid tracks - one of them being Antihero. Got Broken Promise as well. They remind me of Pissing Razors.

I was listening to some Throwdown at the same time I heard God Forbid so I tend to lump them together, but I think I prefer Throwdown, they're a bit more brutal.

#96 shirubagan

shirubagan
  • Members
  • 11032 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:37 PM

Whoever mentioned At The Gates. I recently borrowed the album with Blinded by Fear on it (can't remember what it was called). Quality, but I hear their other albums are pretty crap in comparison. I remember hearing Blinded by Fear on Noisy Mothers years ago :D (anyone actually remember that, and the nutcase who used to present it?)

At The Gates are growers - stick with it, they're awesome. I initially thought the albums before Slaughter Of The Soul were bad in comparison, but they are superb. And they're about 5.99 on Play.com, so what have you got to lose?

#97 kerraig UK

kerraig UK
  • Members
  • 19932 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:02 PM

Manny - no. throwdown are NOT better than god forbid. you spaz.

Terminal Spirit Disease by at the gates is as good as slaughter of the soul.

#98 Wintermute

Wintermute
  • Members
  • 3005 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:16 PM

It's better, imo.

'Slaughter' just sounds like generic Swedish Grind to me, I was very disappointed with it. Their first two albums are stunning, orchestral pieces of work though. Like Wagner with screaming.

And crap production.

#99 Arctic Feather

Arctic Feather
  • Members
  • 2418 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

Going through a Dillinger-type-music loving phase at the moment, not sure what to call the music aside from metal (or math-metal..erk). Despise the hardcore/metalcore/emocore labels, make no sense to me.

Grindcore?

Really like Dillinger Escape Plan myself

Recently discovered Daughters, check out the mp3s on that link, also you can stream their whole CD on their homepage.

#100 kerraig UK

kerraig UK
  • Members
  • 19932 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

I think the first daughters ep is amazing, but the album does nothing for me at all. Should I give it more time?

#101 Arctic Feather

Arctic Feather
  • Members
  • 2418 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:43 PM

I haven't bought the album yet, only heard the stuff online as i only found out about them very recently. I quite like it, can't compare to their older stuff as i haven't heard it sorry

#102 PopleGas

PopleGas
  • Members
  • 10770 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

Can anyone remember the name of that Norwegian Black/Death metal band which had a mmber called "Euronomous" or something similar who drank a soupof some guys brain and skull after he killed himself. I read it in Metal Hammer ages so my recollection might be a bit hazy.

Does anyone have Megadeths new album? I have all the others and wouldnt mind another or maybe i should just get Master of Puppets but i'm kinda off Metallica just now.

#103 Wintermute

Wintermute
  • Members
  • 3005 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:59 PM

Mayhem, I think.

Euronymous was killed by Varg Vikernes, wasn't he? Or am I confused again?

#104 RJames

RJames
  • Members
  • 15810 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:20 PM

Can't you two even read? ;)

I've posted in this thread about those Death Metal killings, with the names of the people and EVERYTHING!

#105 Wintermute

Wintermute
  • Members
  • 3005 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:28 PM

You don't seriously expect me to read a whole thread, do you?!

#106 Manny

Manny
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:54 PM

Manny - no. throwdown are NOT better than god forbid. you spaz.

I see.

Might have a look for Terminal Spirit Disease.

Dam - Underoath are playing in February. If you like that kind of thing have you heard Saosin? Similar kind of thing but much better.

#107 PopleGas

PopleGas
  • Members
  • 10770 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

Can't you two even read? :D

I've posted in this thread about those Death Metal killings, with the names of the people and EVERYTHING!

:rolleyes: at myself.

Anyway theres some program about Metal on bbc 2 tonight at 1:20am (Paradox me do)

#108 Grimnir

Grimnir
  • Members
  • 2682 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:34 PM

I've posted in this thread about those Death Metal

BLACK metal :o

the rest of Mayhem supposedly ate/drank Dead's brain and made a necklace out of bone fragments from his skull but I reckon that's mostly hype and rumours. they did use a photo of his dead body for an album cover though. probably best to link to it, not really work safe

http://www.fmp666.co...mayhem_dawn.jpg

anyway back to the point of this thread. I recommend Aborym, any album (although 'With no human intervention' is my favourite). it's not like normal black metal, it has a lot of industrial and techno influences. if you find you like Aborym, you should try Mysticum who are a similar band but they are more industrial than techno (but still very much black metal).

#109 Mr Spew

Mr Spew
  • Members
  • 13273 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:47 PM

Whoever mentioned At The Gates. I recently borrowed the album with Blinded by Fear on it (can't remember what it was called). Quality, but I hear their other albums are pretty crap in comparison. I remember hearing Blinded by Fear on Noisy Mothers years ago :) (anyone actually remember that, and the nutcase who used to present it?)

Then you heard from some stupid cunts.

Get 'Slaughter of the Soul' - classic album.
And 'With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness' - album that broke them to me.

Great albums.

Are we 'allowed' to mention Devin Townsend yet? :D

#110 mr.miffed

mr.miffed
  • Members
  • 13744 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

Then you heard from some stupid cunts.

Get 'Slaughter of the Soul' - classic album.
And 'With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness' - album that broke them to me.

Great albums.

Are we 'allowed' to mention Devin Townsend yet? ;)

No, he's far too overproduced and fear factory-esque. ;)

Wasn't he joe satriana's singer or something?

#111 will

will
  • Members
  • 5880 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:05 PM

No, he's far too overproduced and fear factory-esque. ;)

Don't compare Devin to fear factory! I'm not opposed to fear factory but devin is a legend, a musical step up from most people. As strapping young lad or as devin he's amazing.

#112 mr.miffed

mr.miffed
  • Members
  • 13744 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:27 PM

Don't compare Devin to fear factory! I'm not opposed to fear factory but devin is a legend, a musical step up from most people. As strapping young lad or as devin he's amazing.

pistols at dawn.

My brother loves him, IDGI.

I hate his sound, its far too clean.

#113 will

will
  • Members
  • 5880 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:26 PM

I wished my brother liked metal......

#114 shirubagan

shirubagan
  • Members
  • 11032 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:13 PM

James... I listened to Waking the Fallen last night and I don't understand. Even Unholy Confessions lost it's appeal when placed in context of the (IMO very weak) album.

dam_aks was spot on about the vocals being well off the mark and the guitar work is awful (the solo at the beginning of Eternal Rest is absolutely appalling). Sorry buddy, but they're not my cup of tea - but I can see why people like them.

Judas Cradle and Kill Winter have been the best recommendations thus far.

#115 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 29139 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

I wished my brother liked metal......

Me too.

#116 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 29139 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

Avenged Sevenfold are great cheesy fun.

#117 Sir Horribleman

Sir Horribleman
  • Members
  • 29139 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:19 PM

You guys in here should register at http://www.kerrazy-torrents.com

#118 dam_aks

dam_aks
  • Members
  • 8435 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:56 PM

Well, I bought God Forbid - Gone Forever.

I like this record.

[shirubagan], Kill Winter are an awesome band, they just released a split with PlacidStorm. Its on Cat N Cakey and I would say its worth picking up. Both bands on the split put in some good tunes. Placid Storm are like a mix of Misfits and DK. Shouldn't be more than a few quid!

#119 RJames

RJames
  • Members
  • 15810 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:15 PM

James... I listened to Waking the Fallen last night and I don't understand. Even Unholy Confessions lost it's appeal when placed in context of the (IMO very weak) album.

dam_aks was spot on about the vocals being well off the mark and the guitar work is awful (the solo at the beginning of Eternal Rest is absolutely appalling). Sorry buddy, but they're not my cup of tea - but I can see why people like them.

Wrong!

Then again, In Flames aren't really doing anything for me yet... and I know which out of In Flames and A7X are more generally popular :ph34r:

Loving 3 Inches though... :)

#120 Mark

Mark
  • Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

The new Ragnarok album "Blackdoor Miracle" is excellent stuff (a sample can be found at http://www.ragnarokhorde.com) A new Taake album is due out sometime soon as well, completing his trilogy. I've absolutely loved his last 2 albums. The new Bethlehem album is supposed to be fantastic as well.

My favourite albums of the last few months though have to be Aura Noir's "The Merciless" and "Isa" by Enslaved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users