Recommend Me A Whisky

• Please log in to reply
923 replies to this topic

#61 azurebumble

azurebumble
  • Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

West coast whiskey? I'd rather chop my bollocks off. Okay they're not that bad, but compared to the exquisite products from Moray in the North East, they're a poor substitute.
Moray has the largest concentration of distilleries on the planet for a reason - the river Spey, which (I think) is the UK's fastest river, so perhaps that's the reason for the great water. No stagnation or something?
Anyway, get yourself a bottle of Balvenie - no need to spend a fortune on the maturer editions either as the 10 year bottle will go down a treat.
Posted Image

Add a couple of spliffs and a chess board and you've got yourself a party. :o

This. :o

#62 Plums

Plums
  • Members
  • 13525 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

I've run out of beer and wine so I just got a dusty old bottle of Glenfiddich out of the cupboard that I won in a raffle about 6 months ago.

String me up if you will, but it's rather nice with Dr. Pepper and ice.

Sorry, I've never enjoyed drinking whisky straight up. ;)

#63 thingymajig

thingymajig
  • Members
  • 3725 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:10 PM

I've run out of beer and wine so I just got a dusty old bottle of Glenfiddich out of the cupboard that I won in a raffle about 6 months ago.

String me up if you will, but it's rather nice with Dr. Pepper and ice.

Sorry, I've never enjoyed drinking whisky straight up. ;)

;) Well, at least it's only Glenfiddich.

In regards to the Balvenie, I prefer the Doublewood to the regular 10 year edition. Talisker is still my favourite regular whisky, although a recently-tasted variety that I'm quite partial to is Oban 14 Year.

#64 vamecum

vamecum
  • Members
  • 4767 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

One thing with whisky and me..
I have to drink it really slow. like a sip, let it roll in mouth.. then wait for a good while until the next sip.
it's perfect for a night cap or a calm day in.

#65 azurebumble

azurebumble
  • Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:43 AM

In regards to the Balvenie, I prefer the Doublewood to the regular 10 year edition.

I've tried the Doublewood, it's lovely but a bit too rich if that's the right term.

The best whisky I ever had was many years ago when I worked in a carpentry workshop, we were given a contract by the local council to provide flower tubs for the local villages, these tubs were to be constructed from old whisky barrels!

Subsequently we were given access to the yard of a cooperage owned by a local distillery and directed to a huge mound of empty barrels, as we began to load up from this pyramid of literally thousands of casks it soon became apparent that one of the guys was being really picky about the ones he would put on the trailer, it turned out that he was checking to see if there was any liquid left in them! Apparently when a barrel is emptied there is always a little bit of whisky left soaked into the wood and over time it will seep back out, especially if it is exposed to heat.

Well..... with our 3 trailers of hand picked barrels (about 30) ripened by a long hot summer we headed back to the workshop and proceeded to chisel out the 'bungs', consequently over a period of a couple of hours we managed to fill 6 lemonade bottles with a clear liquid (slight yellow tinge). At this point I was far from convinced that this stuff was drinkable, but the initiator of this little adventure was undettered and pouring some into his flask lid he proceeded to down his 'double of death', suffice to say he lived, complete with a huge grin which to this day is still the biggest I have ever seen.

The rest of that day is a bit of a blur, but I have to say it was the most delightful whisky I have ever experienced, the kiss of an angel and an inner glow that Chernobyl would be proud of. Seriously, you could taste all the whiskies, in all the pubs in Scotland and still never come close to those barrel dregs. the locals (Speyside) call it 'Billins', if you ever get the chance don't be afraid to try it!

#66 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • Members
  • 17919 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

I had a few sips of Auchentoshan last weekend. Very nice!

I grew up five minutes away from that place. For a lowland whisky it's actually very nice.

#67 fragglerock

fragglerock
  • Supporters
  • 8477 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:36 AM

I am 1/2 way through a 12yr Cragganmore that I was deeply sceptical about when I was given it, but it is actually very pleasant as a light "session" whisky if such a thing could be said to exist!

#68 Plums

Plums
  • Members
  • 13525 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:28 PM

Inspired by this thread I'm attempting to drink some Glenfiddich properly. The tiniest sip is just making me all gaggy though, is it a taste you acquire or is Glenfiddich just pish?

#69 thingymajig

thingymajig
  • Members
  • 3725 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

Inspired by this thread I'm attempting to drink some Glenfiddich properly. The tiniest sip is just making me all gaggy though, is it a taste you acquire or is Glenfiddich just pish?

It's not bad as such, it's just not particularly good; the Magners of single malt whisky, if you will. It's a damn sight better than Bells' however.

I can't stress this enough though, whisky is an acquired taste. But the advantage is that there is so many varieties that there's bound to be one that you'll like. Taste far and wide to find one that you'll like. Some may elude you though, I still can't stomach Laphroaig 10 Year Old.

#70 Plums

Plums
  • Members
  • 13525 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:33 AM

If not then go for an easier in - Irish whiskeys.

Surely?

#71 Dapple

Dapple
  • Members
  • 2044 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

Whiskies.

#72 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:06 AM

I'm currently working through a Bowmore 12 and a Macallen 14 for when I want to taste the whiskey and Jack Daniels for when I just want to drink. I think I'm going to try some non-Islay whiskeys next - Macallen is pretty smooth, I found Genfiddich pretty uninspiring though. Might get some Irish in for when I'm feeling delicate. Any recommendations on Irish?

Also, potential blasphemy, but has anyone tried the "premium" JD drinks? There's Gentleman Jack and something like Single Cask. I had a snifter of Gentleman Jack in an airport in January as they were giving it away at a stand there. It was about 8am though, so my taste buds weren't really with it yet.

#73 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • Members
  • 17919 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

Also, potential blasphemy...

You already did that when you mentioned Irish piss water, sorry their piss poor attempts at whisky.

#74 Vin

Vin
  • Members
  • 6961 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

Posted Image

One of the better ones.

Lovely.

#75 Darragh

Darragh
  • Members
  • 15446 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

Posted Image

This. Screw the haters.

#76 jayboy

jayboy
  • Members
  • 1038 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

Anyone know if Johnnie Walker Blue Label is any good?

#77 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 24145 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:50 PM

I rarely drink anything else but Jack Daniels. Sorry, I just really like the stuff.

#78 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

I rarely drink anything else but Jack Daniels. Sorry, I just really like the stuff.

I'm a massive JD fan too, but in time you will recognise the wide spectrum of whiskies that the world has to offer :(

It was a Macallen 12 that got me off the JD railroad on out into the Isles and Highlands of Scotland. Part of a Christmas bonus from work one year, it was, and quite a creamy mellow scotch to start off on.

What's the most powerful flavour people have encountered? So far for me it's the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I didn't actually get on with it that well - I think I prefer the normal 12 year.

#79 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 24145 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:58 AM

I'm a massive JD fan too, but in time you will recognise the wide spectrum of whiskies that the world has to offer -_-

I hope so; I just read Wikipedia and I had no idea there were so many types of whiskey...

Never knew that bourbon and scotch are just names for different kinds of whiskey as well. I'm such an alcohol-noob, I only drink JD and sometimes Johnny Walker when it comes to whiskey.

#80 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

I've started drinking Jack and Ginger instead of Jack and Coke. You can't really do it in a bar because no one sells ginger ale or ginger beer, but it's nice to have at home. Get a decent fiery ginger beer and they combine very well.

No caffeine either, which I consider a plus late on a week night.

#81 thingymajig

thingymajig
  • Members
  • 3725 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

Anyone know if Johnnie Walker Blue Label is any good?

Oh yes. Extraordinarily expensive though.

#82 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

I started on a Jamieson's last night. I'm not blown away. It's better than say, Bell's (but not Bell's Reserve) but it's not even in the same league as any of my Highland or Islay malts. There's just very little substance to it.

I don't want this to be the only Irish I have in the house (it was the only reasonable one I could find in Tesco's on Saturday though). What should I be looking for?

#83 Das

Das
  • Members
  • 9061 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

Brother, it's ALL about the world famous Talisker, from the Isle of Skye. Smokey and aromatic, it is the finest Scotch Malt I have tried.

This is all you need. Forget the rest!

#84 fragglerock

fragglerock
  • Supporters
  • 8477 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

I've started drinking Jack and Ginger instead of Jack and Coke. You can't really do it in a bar because no one sells ginger ale or ginger beer, but it's nice to have at home. Get a decent fiery ginger beer and they combine very well.

No caffeine either, which I consider a plus late on a week night.

You want ginger wine in there
Posted Image
a whisky mac! warms the cockles of your heart (and makes shit whisky drinkable!)

#85 johnT

johnT
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

I'm a big fan of Talisker too, one of the best.

Oban would be a good 'starter' whisky.

The Glenmorangie (Madeira Cask) is very nice too.

I also tried Royal Lochnagar years ago on a visit to the Whisky Heritage Centre in Edinburgh, that was my favourite of the four samples they served (can't remember the other three).

#86 expresslanes

expresslanes
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

how bout' some old grandad??-lol

#87 lancashirebambaata

lancashirebambaata
  • Members
  • 4134 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

Oh yes. Extraordinarily expensive though

I bought a bottle of this on your reccomendation . I want my 120 back.

Its nice but there are a lot of others, The Macallan being the first that comes to mind, that are better at a fraction of the cost.

#88 thingymajig

thingymajig
  • Members
  • 3725 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

I bought a bottle of this on your reccomendation . I want my 120 back.

Well, despite its price it is still a blend. It's about 10,000 times better than its trampish brother Mr Red Label, which happens to taste like paint stripper. So even though it's easily the best blend, it's still not as good as the very best malts. 120 would get you a fucking good single malt.

#89 thingymajig

thingymajig
  • Members
  • 3725 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

Bit of a late reply but...

Isn't the rule:
Scottish = whiskey
Irish = whisky

Nope, it's the other way round.

#90 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

I did a stock up on Whiskey today. The new addition was Talisker, which I've been meaning to try for years. Didn't know what to expect from Skye, but it's VERY different from any of the Islays and Jura (not peaty at all). It has quite a warm taste to it, similar to Oban and Whiskeys from Inland but much richer.

The first sip took me by surprise but now I'm getting quite into it.

(The other purchases were JD and Laphroaig, as usual)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users