Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

Irish Whiskey>Scotch.

Posted Image

#35 Yummers

Yummers
  • Members
  • 4162 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:51 PM

I prefer Glenmorangie (spelt right - probably not). Only one I like without any ice or a little water. Rest I need a dash of water or my mouth tends to breath fire.

#36 iloverage

iloverage
  • Members
  • 14862 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:59 PM

Talisker, from the isle of skye, I tried it when I went there earlier this summer, and brought back a bottle......or two.

Best whisky ever.

#37 iloverage

iloverage
  • Members
  • 14862 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:00 PM

Oi cal! You beat me to it.

o/\o

#38 Space Renegade Ulala

Space Renegade Ulala
  • Members
  • 15114 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:23 PM

Last time I was in Heathrow, I took a wander into the World of Whiskey shop. I spent 10 minutes eyeing up the 29,000 bottle on sale, wondering if the lady behind the counter would agree to letting me taste it first before realising she probably was reaching for a baseball bat to get me away from the cabinet.

That had better be a fucking good whiskey. Damn fucking good.

#39 biggerbob

biggerbob
  • Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:57 PM

Have your favourite lager on hand as your chaser.

Surely good whisky doesn't need a chaser?

(Hell, even bad whisky doesn't need a chaser...)

Or have I just been bearded?

#40 citation deducer

citation deducer
  • Members
  • 8420 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:24 PM

theres a whisky called 'bruichladdich' its pretty great........with none of this caramel colour shite

#41 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23575 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:50 AM

I prefer Glenmorangie (spelt right - probably not). Only one I like without any ice or a little water. Rest I need a dash of water or my mouth tends to breath fire.

That was my tipple on the 55th floor of the Park Hayat hotel in Shinjuku. It's the bar that Bill Murray drinks in in Lost in Translation. Hypo-smooth. It'd have to be, too, at 10 a glass...

#42 Calashnikov

Calashnikov
  • Members
  • 23575 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:51 AM

Surely good whisky doesn't need a chaser?

(Hell, even bad whisky doesn't need a chaser...)

Or have I just been bearded?

No. I just like getting blitzed.

#43 Professor Rob

Professor Rob
  • Members
  • 5531 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:44 AM

To Strawp:

If you enjoyed Macallan, try Glenfarclas or Balvenie, which are both in the heavily-sherried style. Avoid Islay malts, which are more of an acquired taste. They tend to be very peaty and very medicinal-tasting.

Macallan is generally considered to be the finest single-malt (with good reason) but it's all down to personal preference in the end. My personal favourite is Glenmorangie ("rhymes with orange-y") sherrywood finish.

#44 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 39743 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:59 AM

Here's a recommendation from Mr. L. Skynyrd:

Take a tip from me, people... brothers can't you see
Ain't no future in ole poison whisky.
They're gonna rush you down to see the doctor,
The doctor's gonna shake his head.
The only thing he's gonna tell ya
"stop drinkin' johnny walker's red
Don't drink poison whisky, don't you drink it boy.

Alternatively, I'm partial to a drop of Jamesons.

#45 Paradigm

Paradigm
  • Members
  • 29001 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:41 PM

To Strawp:

If you enjoyed Macallan, try Glenfarclas or Balvenie, which are both in the heavily-sherried style. Avoid Islay malts, which are more of an acquired taste. They tend to be very peaty and very medicinal-tasting.

Macallan is generally considered to be the finest single-malt (with good reason) but it's all down to personal preference in the end. My personal favourite is Glenmorangie ("rhymes with orange-y") sherrywood finish.

Worth noting that they're (Glenmorangie) advertising the three new finishes of whiskey at the moment - burgundy, I think it was port, and something else. Always nice to try.

#46 scruffycat

scruffycat
  • Supporters
  • 7232 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:44 PM

Worth noting that they're (Glenmorangie) advertising the three new finishes of whiskey at the moment - burgundy, I think it was port, and something else. Always nice to try.

I think the other one is from sherry caskets. The port one is really nice.

#47 Paradigm

Paradigm
  • Members
  • 29001 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:12 PM

Glenfiddich do the same thing as well, which is nice.

#48 HoneyMonster

HoneyMonster
  • Members
  • 7276 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:17 PM

Posted Image

#49 Davros sock drawer

Davros sock drawer
  • Members
  • 39743 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:21 PM

And where the devil have you been HM, you old git?

#50 Mars

Mars
  • Members
  • 13920 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:46 PM

My Mum works for Allied Domecq (as do I sometimes during the summer and xmas) meaning that we get either free or heavily discounted whiskey including my favourite, Makers Mark.

Posted Image

#51 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:44 PM

To Strawp:

Actually I got a bottle of Laphroaig on Wednesday which I'm enjoying at the moment.

I remember trying it in the pub once and finding it too strong for me but now I'm liking it quite a lot. I think I will get a small selection of different whiskies - I have the richest highland malt, I think I may try Talisker or one of the sherry cask ones you recommend next.

Laphroaig's on offer at Sainsbury's at the moment BTW, which is why I got it instead of Talisker ;)

#52 Jeff the Neck

Jeff the Neck
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:32 AM

My favourite whisky is 16yr old Lagavulin but's its kind of pricey really.

this is the way forward - i had it in a hotel bar recently - it's fantastic.

#53 vamecum

vamecum
  • Members
  • 4762 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:48 PM

I bought a bottle of Ardbeg at the taxfree. quite cheap that way.
I like it a lot. good and peaty.

#54 Robsk1

Robsk1
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

Laphroig 15year is lovely. Much better than the 10.

If you like JD then have wee (or big) one of the Single Barrel. That's a good one, albeit not from these isles.

Hmm. Wish most of my tipples weren't in storage now. :D

#55 goofy pls

goofy pls
  • Members
  • 12507 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:45 PM

I'm predominantly a drinker of vodka and lager, my only whiskey experience to date has been a bottle of Bells done straight, suffice to say I was not impressed. Well, regular JD as well but I really can't stand the stuff.

So, what would be a good place to start that doesn't involve shelling out 20 for something I end up not liking?

#56 will

will
  • Members
  • 5871 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:52 PM

Posted Image

Jesus, what was I thinking. I don't even like southern comfort very much....
though, to be fair, it was half past two in the morning, I must have been a state.

#57 futureshock

futureshock
  • Supporters
  • 18992 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:12 AM

West coast whiskey? I'd rather chop my bollocks off. Okay they're not that bad, but compared to the exquisite products from Moray in the North East, they're a poor substitute.

Speyside
This is the heartlant of malt whisky distilling. Well over half of the country's distilleries are found here clustered around such rivers as the Findhorn, Lossie, Liver, Deveron, Fiddich, Dullan and the glorious Spey itself which runs a hundred miles from the wilds of Badenoch north to Spey Bay on the Moray coast. The greatest whiskies of all come from Speyside-Strathisla, Aultmore, Dufftown, MOrtlach, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenfarclas, Macallan, Aberlour, Balmenach, Cardhu, Knockando, Glen Grant, Tamdhu - the congregation of historic and distinguished malts is remarkable.

Moray has the largest concentration of distilleries on the planet for a reason - the river Spey, which (I think) is the UK's fastest river, so perhaps that's the reason for the great water. No stagnation or something?
Anyway, get yourself a bottle of Balvenie - no need to spend a fortune on the maturer editions either as the 10 year bottle will go down a treat.
Posted Image

Add a couple of spliffs and a chess board and you've got yourself a party. :D

#58 McNeillR

McNeillR
  • Members
  • 10001 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:00 AM

I'm predominantly a drinker of vodka and lager

Get out.

My lecturer usually carries around a decent amount of 15 y/o to sex up his coffee, but I persuaded him to bring a swig of 30 y/o to a get together thing we had a few weeks back...

It was mind blowing stuff, to the point where I both felt completely unworthy of the swig (200 a bottle?!) and that I didn't need another drink for about two rounds. I've tasted the cask strength 10 y/o as well, which I found prefferable to the 15 y/o, but this was an exilarating (and expensive) mouthful.

If you can find a decent single malt in a 35cl bottle that might do you a bit more justice than splashing out on a 70cl that you may not like or could end up gathering dust.

#59 TarquinTheHappyMouse

TarquinTheHappyMouse
  • Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

Irish Whiskey>Scotch.
Posted Image

I`d vote for that.

Most Scottish whiskies are too harsh for my tastes

Dalwhinnie is nice though

#60 lancashirebambaata

lancashirebambaata
  • Members
  • 4134 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

I was in Dublin a while ago and I asked for a bushmills, the barman told me to forget that shit and have something called Red Breast.

He was right as well, bloody lovely

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

ilpostino