• Please log in to reply
6414 replies to this topic

#4741 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image
Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird (w) • Eastman, Laird (a & c)
Relive the exciting origins of TMNT, this time in all-new full-color comics! This is where world-wide Turtle mania started! Detailing the entire origin of the Turtles and their first fateful encounter with the Foot Clan and the Shredder! This is your chance to get in on the ground floor of the entire Mirage Studios experience, with the most successful independent comic of all time. Don't miss it!
FC • 40 pages • $3.99
  • The original series is back, this time in COLOR!
How good is that?

#4742 TheShend

TheShend
  • Members
  • 4935 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

I'm LOVING Lone Wolf and Cub, it's continuously surprising.

Oooh, were you up to? It's an amazing read.

I finally started reading Transmetropolitan which I got for my birthday last year. Just finished Vol.3 'Year of the Bastard'. Great comedy, characters and bitterness. If you read Private Eye or the politics thread I can reckon you'd get a lot out of it.

#4743 _Pow_

_Pow_
  • Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

Vol 11
Spoiler
loving it.

Also loving the news that there is going to be a new Phonogram series :D

#4744 Anne Summers

Anne Summers
  • Members
  • 7922 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

More Phonogram? Cool. Really enjoyed the old stuff but it will be good to see where Kieron can take his ideas now he has so much more experience as a comic writer.

#4745 Death's Head

Death's Head
  • Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

I finally started reading Transmetropolitan which I got for my birthday last year. Just finished Vol.3 'Year of the Bastard'. Great comedy, characters and bitterness. If you read Private Eye or the politics thread I can reckon you'd get a lot out of it.

I first read Transmetropolitan when I was around fifteen or sixteen. Discovering that, along with the Invisibles, literally changed my life (albeit, not necessarily for the better!).

#4746 SpagMasterSwift

SpagMasterSwift
  • Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

• The original series is back, this time in COLOR!
How good is that?

Should be interesting...would love to see Return To New York coloured at some point, my copies are an inky mess in places.

#4747 K

K
  • Members
  • 21007 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Is Mark Millar generally respected as a comics writer? I read Kick Ass after I saw the film (and enjoyed both), but everything I’ve read since has been fucking terrible, Wanted being the absolute nadir. He seems to think that the idea of a superhero being a cunt, and using the word “cunt”, and killing people in graphic detail, is good enough in itself to support a comics series in itself.

I mean, I read Nemesis recently, and while it was weirdly engaging and had great art, it was colossally unsatisfying once I’d finished it. I read somewhere that Millar’s core idea was “what if Batman was a cunt?”, and he didn’t so much run with it as remain completely stationary with it, as that’s pretty much as much development as the plot gets. There’s no characterisation, no real invention, the twist ending doesn’t make sense… it’s just graphic violence and swearing for its own sake. Millar comes across as Garth Ennis without the wit or ability to properly structure a storyline; it’s like all the most brutal sections of ‘Preacher’ strung together without anything else to support it.

Has he done any really worthwhile comics (Kick Ass excluded, which to be fair was pretty good)?

#4748 _Pow_

_Pow_
  • Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

American Jesus was good, as was his run on the cartoon Superman comic

edit: I also quite liked War Heroes, which I hope gets finished at some point.

#4749 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41628 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Wanted is just a bad comic. It's like he wanted to be Garth Ennis.

#4750 Chocky

Chocky
  • Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Is Mark Millar generally respected as a comics writer? I read Kick Ass after I saw the film (and enjoyed both), but everything I’ve read since has been fucking terrible, Wanted being the absolute nadir. He seems to think that the idea of a superhero being a cunt, and using the word “cunt”, and killing people in graphic detail, is good enough in itself to support a comics series in itself.

I mean, I read Nemesis recently, and while it was weirdly engaging and had great art, it was colossally unsatisfying once I’d finished it. I read somewhere that Millar’s core idea was “what if Batman was a cunt?”, and he didn’t so much run with it as remain completely stationary with it, as that’s pretty much as much development as the plot gets. There’s no characterisation, no real invention, the twist ending doesn’t make sense… it’s just graphic violence and swearing for its own sake. Millar comes across as Garth Ennis without the wit or ability to properly structure a storyline; it’s like all the most brutal sections of ‘Preacher’ strung together without anything else to support it.

Has he done any really worthwhile comics (Kick Ass excluded, which to be fair was pretty good)?

I echo your view on his work 100%

His initial run on The Ultimates (Ultimates & Ultimates 2) the best thing he has done IMO bringing a modern sensibility/blockbuster style to the Avengers/Marvel Universe and is worth reading if you haven't.

I agree that most things he has done since have been over hyped, reliant on the 'whoa violence and swearing!' crowd and generally naff.

Superior and Nemesis are now quite clearly 'blueprints' for a movie pitch (not that there's anything wrong with that) after the success of Wanted and Kick Ass.

#4751 AK Bell

AK Bell
  • Members
  • 4962 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Millar now writes like he wants to sell a movie. He can be good. Superman: Red Son is one of my favourites. The very start of Ultimate X-Men was good too (it quickly turns to shit, but the first storyline is amazing).

#4752 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41628 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Didn't Millar write Old Man Logan as well?

#4753 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Didn't Millar write Old Man Logan as well?

YEP! Classic that one, overlooked gem!

#4754 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41628 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

First thing I recommend to anyone who asks what TPBs to buy, even before Dark Knight Returns etc.

#4755 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41628 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

If Skottie Young did an entire X comic like this I'd buy 3 million copies:
Attached File  tumblr_m04k1y204Q1qzniqdo1_1280.jpg   658.62KB   2 downloads

#4756 Talvalin

Talvalin
  • Supporters
  • 4513 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

I pretty much buy the Wizard of Oz adaptations purely to drool over his art. The man is amazing and needs to be put on a regular title stat.

#4757 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

There you go better version currently gracing my iPad2 screen <3!

Attached Files

#4758 top-cat

top-cat
  • Members
  • 3930 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

I love baby Emma Frost poking Master Murdoch in the eye :D

#4759 _Pow_

_Pow_
  • Members
  • 7406 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

that pic is almost certainly better than the whole series and its spinoffs will be.

#4760 rumblecat

rumblecat
  • Supporters
  • 2970 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

American Jesus was good, as was his run on the cartoon Superman comic

Yeah. American Jesus / Chosen is pretty great, and his run on that Superman comic was excellent- short, tight little stories, written with a lot of pace and wit.

Some of his run on Swamp Thing was good as well- especially issue 165. There's a good piece about it here-

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/08/06/almost-hidden-chester-williams-american-cop/

Chester Williams is a character who went all the way back to the early days of Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run. He was your basic environmentalist hippie, a leftover from the 1960s, although he had some pretty strong character work done on him over the years (he especially took a larger role when Swamp Thing was presumed dead and Chester had to help out Abby, even defending her from an alien attack one issue!!).

However, out of nowhere, Millar decided to write a whole issue of Chester discovering the error of his ways due to the campaign of Newt Gingrich and the Republicans to rediscover “American Values.”

Posted Image

From his recent stuff I thought Superior was pretty good as well, some nice nasty little twists in there.

#4761 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

Anyone else read this?

Attached Files

#4762 Chocky

Chocky
  • Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

yeh was good that they published the letter and the well thought out response.

Miss the letters page in DC books

#4763 Corporal Flashback

Corporal Flashback
  • Members
  • 6666 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Been away from this thread due to RSI but still been reading!

So way back in Septemberish I began reading comics regularly. Using the excellent Economic Comics service, I used the New 52 as a starting point, and set up this subscription:

Action Comics
Animal Man
Batgirl
Batman
Batman The Dark Knight
Batwoman
Catwoman
DC Universe Presents
Detective Comics
Justice League
Justice League Dark
Resurrection Man
Suicide Squad
Superman
Swamp Thing
Teen Titans

Legion of Superheroes and Legion Lost didn't last long and were quickly cancelled, replaced by Voodoo, which has, to be honest, been on my danger list ever since. From there it stayed pretty much the same until last month when I added the new TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo. I like them. :D I then added Whispers, and issue one is VERY interesting. Issue two due any day now.

A few weeks ago I got a list of upcoming stuff, and added America's Got Powers, Danger Club and The Shadow as they looked interesting. So! Now my sub looks like this, favourites italicised:

STAPLES:

Animal Man
Batgirl
Batman
Batman The Dark Knight
Batwoman
Catwoman
DC Universe Presents
Detective Comics
Resurrection Man
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
TMNT Micro Series
Usagi Yojimbo
Whispers

To Begin:
America's Got Powers
Danger Club
The Shadow
(Also likely X23 when I catch up with the TPBs)

Danger List/Likely to be Cut:
Action Comics (If it doesn't pick its feet up)
Justice League (Just oddly ungripping and unremarkable)
Justice League Dark (Need to catch up, but...)
Superman (See Justice League)
Swamp Thing (A couple of issues behind, but it was far, far too slowly paced)
Teen Titans (Used to enjoy it in the same way I enjoy repeats of Bullseye. :P But lately it's just bad)
Voodoo (The initial synopsis that got my attention was LIES and totally different to the actual comic. And tits alone do not a comic make)

So yes. :)

Any recommendations, anyone? Or news on upcoming titles? I'm very out of the comic news loop. As you can see, I like Batman stuff, character pieces and am not keen on jargon-laden sci-fi and meaningless fantastic battles. As an example, I want to like X Men, for its potential as a source of character stories about racism and struggles in such a world but fucking HATE what they actually do with it; aliens, robots, clones, robot alien clones, time travel, dimensions... ;)

#4764 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 11531 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

I'd read the collected versions of Powers. It's a very very good series.

#4765 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Am i right in thinking X-23 was cancelled the same as Daken? But Mal is moving on to write Aston X-Men?

Dude, i'd just take a long look over at comicbookresources.com

#4766 Talvalin

Talvalin
  • Supporters
  • 4513 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Any recommendations, anyone? Or news on upcoming titles? I'm very out of the comic news loop. As you can see, I like Batman stuff, character pieces and am not keen on jargon-laden sci-fi and meaningless fantastic battles. As an example, I want to like X Men, for its potential as a source of character stories about racism and struggles in such a world but fucking HATE what they actually do with it; aliens, robots, clones, robot alien clones, time travel, dimensions... ;)

Daredevil. Daredevil. Daredevil. The Punisher. Daredevil.

I'd also recommend Journey into Mystery - Gillen doing fantasy in a mainstream Marvel title and not being particularly subtle about it either.

#4767 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Cant say i've enjoyed much Gillen has done since he arrived at Marvel.

Will recommend:-

Luthor Strode,
Chew,
Gladstone School For World Conquerors,
Wolverine & The X-Men,
Batman,
Demon Knights,
Prophet,
All the gi joe titles minus real american hero,
Transformers Robots In Disguise.

& I'm sure theres a few more which dont spring to mind as i write this!

#4768 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41628 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

TMNT.

#4769 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1822 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

TMNT.

Isn't that on his list?

#4770 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41628 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Dunno, I'm just posting shit without reading because was on my phone. Anything longer than a line or two and my brain goes "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORED"
I should really stop that.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users

Nick R, HiggsBoson, Lothar Hex, Gloomy Andy