The Watchtower

• Please log in to reply
6614 replies to this topic

#4681 Mars

Mars
  • Supporters
  • 14401 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Just finished Fall and have ordered End. Fall was bloody brilliant :D Sounds like the next 2 volumes have been received less positively but I want to keep reading :)

Second volume was just as good, IMO! 3rd book ordered :)

#4682 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Any particular reason for this?

The whole treatment of Captain Britain, we all know the story. Secret Avengers #22 is a disgusting example of American's not being able to write British characters and for thinking we all speak and act a certain way. I thought it was bad in Uncanny X-Force but it was worse in here. Such a shame really expected good things from this book.

I know for a fact that not all Americans think of us that way so i didn't expect a comics writer to push that envelope...

Grrr lol!

#4683 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Wasn't X-Force written by Kieron Gillen? Or am I thinking of summat else.

#4684 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Uncanny xmen and that's why I don't read it. Although I'm sure he can do British well enough.

Colossus as the juggernaut wtf!

######

#4685 Talvalin

Talvalin
  • Supporters
  • 4711 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

The whole treatment of Captain Britain, we all know the story.

I don't know the story, so a link would be good. :)

What did you reckon about Paul Cornell's take on him with M-13, or is that the treatment you're referring to?

#4686 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Cornell is British. I think. MI13 is great, and if Eagle Lord is on about that then words are going to be had :P

#4687 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

Cornell is British. I think. MI13 is great, and if Eagle Lord is on about that then words are going to be had :P

I'm tempted to make words now :P MI13 was fucking amazing, one of the best versions of Pete Wisdom, ever written.

And as for the treament Tal, just google Alan Moore and Captain Britain together and i'm sure something will come up. What i really didn't like in Uncanny X-Force was how Jamie is suddenly a good guy and all his bad deeds have been wiped away and every single Britain Corps member speaks like he was raised in a finishing school.

#4688 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 12932 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'll never forgive Marvel for cancelling Next Wave. Worst decision ever. They'll be the first up against the wall when the terrorists win.

#4689 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Anyone read wolverine and the xmen 5 yet? I had a flip earlier looked great :)

#4690 Tangent

Tangent
  • Tech Team
  • 5418 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

Got Scarlett Traces out of the library last week. A great little steampunk tale that is a sequel to War of the Worlds. Recommended – a bit League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

#4691 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 12932 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Got Scarlett Traces out of the library last week. A great little steampunk tale that is a sequel to War of the Worlds. Recommended – a bit League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

There's a sequel to that which is really good too.

#4692 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 110510 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Dear DC

for the love of god, please give Supergirl a skirt, and not an armoured vajazzle.

#4693 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 12932 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

Dear DC

for the love of god, please give Supergirl a skirt, and not an armoured vajazzle.

They should also try to remember that making her a whinny little bitch didn't work the last time they tried it either.

#4694 Chocky

Chocky
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Dear DC

They should also try to remember that making her a whinny little bitch didn't work the last time they tried it either.

Armoured Vajazzle! Until her costume gets another change I will always think of that and chuckle now when I read Supergirl.

I don't get DC's editorial (?) stance on their female characters. We had Sterling Gates give Supergirl her 'shorts of shame' when he took on the art chores of the last series, cycling shorts under her skirts to keep her modesty?!

Now seeing Power Girl's chest/cleavage needs to change but having their main teenage female character permanently in what is basically panties/bikini bottoms is OK?

TBH the (mostly) Jim Lee inspired redesigns are naff on the whole and, as always, in trying to be 'modern' they look terribly dated already. I wonder if the artists get annoyed with putting all the extra (extreme!) 'armour plating' lines on Batman and Superman.

I've enjoyed Supergirl so far, like the new villain set up and the art is great too. I do agree with Flub that if they stay with the 'angsty teen out of place' angle for too long it will be the same routine that didn't work last time. If the title can move forward to having Kara being inherently happy then it will be a 'good' Supergirl book for me!

In happier news I've caught up with Demon Knights and have enjoyed it, might give Stormwatch a go now as this is the first time I've read a full arc of Cornell's work I think. For those reading DK is the inventions guy meant to be an analogue of an existing DC character? I get who the others are meant to be/come from etc but he is completely new to me.

Staying with DC I'm loving Batman and Action Comics is suitably out there in a good way for Morrison. Tried out Superman and enjoyed the thrust of the book being the news room/crew supporting characters as well as Superman's battles.

Are any of the other Nu52 Bat books worth looking at? I may give Huntress a whirl in preparation for Earth 2/World's Finest. In fact any other Nu52 recommendations would be great!

I'm pretty much Marvel free at the moment. Looking to catch up with Cap/Winter Soldier and X-Men. Outside of 'Uncanny' and 'Wolverine & The' are any of the other X books worth picking up/easy to get into?

#4695 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Not easy to get into but Uncanny X-Force is worth a punt and due a new storyline soon.

#4696 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 12932 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

I must admit to really liking Power Girl's new costume and I can't wait for Earth 2

#4697 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Anyone read anything this week?

I've read Transformers and Batman but that's about it for me i think. Unless i get my copy of Mundo this morning.

#4698 Chocky

Chocky
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Was really looking forward to Batman but was disappointed due to it being

Spoiler

Supergirl was OK I just hope they get the origin mysteries out of the way soon.

Caught up with Stormwatch and have really enjoyed it so far. Loved some of the nice tie ins to other DC books especially Demon Knights.

Jim Lee getting the WildCATS really in the mix in the new DCU was a bit off putting to me at first but the Daemonite threat is a refreshing change I suppose.

Think I'll catch up on Voodoo and Grifter next...

#4699 rumblecat

rumblecat
  • Supporters
  • 3586 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

Yeah, the conclusion to Batman was a bit shit.
Spoiler
Not sold on this whole Owls thing either, and the fact it's going to be a big cross-over doesn't fill me with hope. It's the same as I feel about Swamp Thing and Animal Man though, rather than focusing on building up to a crossover event, I can't help feel it'd be better if they focused on making the individual stories better instead.

#4700 _Pow_

_Pow_
  • Members
  • 8466 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

if you don't want issues to be resolved through punching you're reading the wrong genre :lol:

I'm LOVING Lone Wolf and Cub, it's continuously surprising.

#4701 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

I've given up. I'm buying comics and not reading them, ergo I can't be that bothered about them so I'll go back to my intermittent puchasement of TPBs.

#4702 aidey6

aidey6
  • Supporters
  • 3267 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've watched the Justice League Doom video that' "out there". It is rather good. I have to confess not to really being up on all the DC Universe characters (ie all their history) my most recent following of it has been the excellent Justice League and JLU cartoon series. I do also own Batman TAS Complete Series...

#4703 c-cat114

c-cat114
  • Members
  • 2845 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Oddly enough I thoroughly enjoyed Batman - one of the few 52 rejigs I've kept up with. Yes it ended in a decent fight scene but the overall series (so far) feels beautifully reminiscent of the Dark Knight...even down to some very obvious art parallels.

Comics wise, this week I mainly picked up Ghost Rider Heavens on Fire on Comixology and Batman, which is a relief because the comixology app has become VERY expensive for me over the past couple of weeks :(

#4704 Broker

Broker
  • Supporters
  • 15278 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hey guys, I've got a bunch of Graphic novels I'm looking to shift. I've listed them here before but with no luck, is there anywhere else I can try before eBay?

Also, I've got thousands of individual comics which I'm too sacred to even contemplate selling, does anyone have any useful advice?

#4705 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

List the graphic novels on Amazon Marketplace, but you'll most likely get fuck all for them. Comics, no idea.

#4706 Broker

Broker
  • Supporters
  • 15278 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Do these things actually sell? Some of them on there are worth £30 :blink:

#4707 moosegrinder

moosegrinder
  • Members
  • 41700 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Unlike eBay you can't really tell what's the worth of something from what's sold, so when I sell shit I get a feel for what they're worth on completed on eBay and then list it for something similar on Amazon.
If you've got deleted stuff then it might be worth summat, get it listed for a few quid less and play the waiting game. Ask Saberman about it when you go in next.

#4708 Broker

Broker
  • Supporters
  • 15278 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

I still call him Bert.

There's a few random ones which must be r@re because most are around the £8 mark where I figured they'd be. There's just a couple that are £30+.

People are selling comics on there too but I can't begin to think about facing that task.

#4709 Flub

Flub
  • Supporters
  • 12932 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

A little bit of good webcomic news

http://www.digitalsp...d1-million.html

The campaign was launched in order to raise enough money to reprint the collections of Rich Burlew's hit webcomic.

The initial target was set at $57,750 (£36,449), with only the most recently released volume planned for reprint. Pledges have exceeded the original target by a factor of 20.

Burlew has said that the extra money will be put into an "operating fund" for Giant in the Playground, the website which hosts The Order of the Stick.

#4710 The Eagle Lord

The Eagle Lord
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Posted Image
Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird (w) • Eastman, Laird (a & c)
Relive the exciting origins of TMNT, this time in all-new full-color comics! This is where world-wide Turtle mania started! Detailing the entire origin of the Turtles and their first fateful encounter with the Foot Clan and the Shredder! This is your chance to get in on the ground floor of the entire Mirage Studios experience, with the most successful independent comic of all time. Don't miss it!
FC • 40 pages • $3.99
  • The original series is back, this time in COLOR!
How good is that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users