• Announcements

• TehStu

Login with your DISPLAY NAME, not old username   02/10/16

IP.board v4 has changed how you login. Previously, you had a username and a display name. The username would be used to login to the forum, whereas the display name would appear alongside posts. It's possible they were one and the same, but also possible that they changed over time, as you updated your display name. From now on, login with your display name. The username no longer exists.
    • TehStu

iPhone users: please read this   02/10/16

The burger menu may be missing from the top right of the forum when viewing on an iPhone. Until resolved, here is the direct url to the login page.  
    • TehStu

ALL spoilers are currently visible   02/10/16

As posts have not yet been rebuilt, all spoilers are currently visible. If you're following something (film/game) and want to avoid spoilers, AVOID the relevant thread until the post rebuild is complete. I'll delete this announcement when it's done.
biglime

The Watchtower

6754 posts in this topic

The IDW TMNT trade is out. It's fucking great.

I've just been in the loft "tidying" and found all the Dreamwave Transformers I bought. I bought all the covers and the dealer incentive. I wasted so much money at university.

How much is the TMNT tpb? I have most of the original issues at my mums but it'd be nice to have them to read them again without the trip south.

£13.99 from Forbidden Planet, so prolly about a tenner on amazon.

Oh...according to Amazon it's not out yet. They've done this with the Mass Effect art book
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Constant/dp/1613771398/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328918758&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Constant/dp/1613771398/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328918758&sr=8-2[/url]

Forbidden Planet definitely has both though.

[quote name='moosegrinder' timestamp='1328918812' post='8435824']
£13.99 from Forbidden Planet, so prolly about a tenner on amazon.

Oh...according to Amazon it's not out yet. They've done this with the Mass Effect art book
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Constant/dp/1613771398/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328918758&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.co...28918758&sr=8-2[/url]

Forbidden Planet definitely has both though.
[/quote]

Awesome i'm off to FP in an hour, how many issues are in it Moose?

Anyone read Secret Avengers #22 yet? Jesus that book has fucked me off and put me off Remender. I think very little of Marvel, but thought better of him.

I'm not sure, I think it's the first 6. It ends [spoiler]when they find Raphael[/spoiler]. Don't read that if you haven't got all the comics. I was surprised that it came out so quick after the first arc ended, to be honest.

[quote name='The Eagle Lord' timestamp='1328953105' post='8436241']
I think very little of Marvel.
[/quote]

Any particular reason for this?

[quote name='Mars' timestamp='1328475389' post='8425785']

Just finished Fall and have ordered End. Fall was bloody brilliant :D Sounds like the next 2 volumes have been received less positively but I want to keep reading :)
[/quote]
Second volume was just as good, IMO! 3rd book ordered :)

[quote name='Talvalin' timestamp='1328956818' post='8436309']
Any particular reason for this?
[/quote]

The whole treatment of Captain Britain, we all know the story. Secret Avengers #22 is a disgusting example of American's not being able to write British characters and for thinking we all speak and act a certain way. I thought it was bad in Uncanny X-Force but it was worse in here. Such a shame really expected good things from this book.

I know for a fact that not all Americans think of us that way so i didn't expect a comics writer to push that envelope...

Grrr lol!

Uncanny xmen and that's why I don't read it. Although I'm sure he can do British well enough.

Colossus as the juggernaut wtf!

######

[quote name='The Eagle Lord' timestamp='1328985386' post='8437144']
The whole treatment of Captain Britain, we all know the story.[/quote]

I don't know the story, so a link would be good. :)

What did you reckon about Paul Cornell's take on him with M-13, or is that the treatment you're referring to?

[quote name='moosegrinder' timestamp='1329000527' post='8437483']
Cornell is British. I think. MI13 is great, and if Eagle Lord is on about that then words are going to be had :P
[/quote]

I'm tempted to make words now :P MI13 was fucking amazing, one of the best versions of Pete Wisdom, ever written.

And as for the treament Tal, just google Alan Moore and Captain Britain together and i'm sure something will come up. What i really didn't like in Uncanny X-Force was how Jamie is suddenly a good guy and all his bad deeds have been wiped away and every single Britain Corps member speaks like he was raised in a finishing school.

I'll never forgive Marvel for cancelling Next Wave. Worst decision ever. They'll be the first up against the wall when the terrorists win.

Got Scarlett Traces out of the library last week. A great little steampunk tale that is a sequel to War of the Worlds. Recommended – a bit League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

[quote name='Trent Taylor' timestamp='1329218500' post='8441220']
Got Scarlett Traces out of the library last week. A great little steampunk tale that is a sequel to War of the Worlds. Recommended – a bit League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
[/quote]

There's a sequel to that which is really good too.

Dear DC

for the love of god, please give Supergirl a skirt, and not an armoured vajazzle.

[quote name='SeanR' timestamp='1329249345' post='8442286']
Dear DC

for the love of god, please give Supergirl a skirt, and not an armoured vajazzle.
[/quote]

They should also try to remember that making her a whinny little bitch didn't work the last time they tried it either.

[quote name='SeanR' timestamp='1329249345' post='8442286']
Dear DC

[/quote]
[quote name='Flub' timestamp='1329289155' post='8442802']
They should also try to remember that making her a whinny little bitch didn't work the last time they tried it either.
[/quote]

Armoured Vajazzle! Until her costume gets another change I will always think of that and chuckle now when I read Supergirl.

I don't get DC's editorial (?) stance on their female characters. We had Sterling Gates give Supergirl her 'shorts of shame' when he took on the art chores of the last series, cycling shorts under her skirts to keep her modesty?!

Now seeing Power Girl's chest/cleavage needs to change but having their main teenage female character permanently in what is basically panties/bikini bottoms is OK?

TBH the (mostly) Jim Lee inspired redesigns are naff on the whole and, as always, in trying to be 'modern' they look terribly dated already. I wonder if the artists get annoyed with putting all the extra (extreme!) 'armour plating' lines on Batman and Superman.

I've enjoyed Supergirl so far, like the new villain set up and the art is great too. I do agree with Flub that if they stay with the 'angsty teen out of place' angle for too long it will be the same routine that didn't work last time. If the title can move forward to having Kara being inherently happy then it will be a 'good' Supergirl book for me!

In happier news I've caught up with Demon Knights and have enjoyed it, might give Stormwatch a go now as this is the first time I've read a full arc of Cornell's work I think. For those reading DK is the inventions guy meant to be an analogue of an existing DC character? I get who the others are meant to be/come from etc but he is completely new to me.

Staying with DC I'm loving Batman and Action Comics is suitably out there in a good way for Morrison. Tried out Superman and enjoyed the thrust of the book being the news room/crew supporting characters as well as Superman's battles.

Are any of the other Nu52 Bat books worth looking at? I may give Huntress a whirl in preparation for Earth 2/World's Finest. In fact any other Nu52 recommendations would be great!

I'm pretty much Marvel free at the moment. Looking to catch up with Cap/Winter Soldier and X-Men. Outside of 'Uncanny' and 'Wolverine & The' are any of the other X books worth picking up/easy to get into?

I must admit to really liking Power Girl's new costume and I can't wait for Earth 2

Anyone read anything this week?

I've read Transformers and Batman but that's about it for me i think. Unless i get my copy of Mundo this morning.

Was really looking forward to Batman but was disappointed due to it being

[spoiler]just a slug fest for 20 pages[/spoiler]

Supergirl was OK I just hope they get the origin mysteries out of the way soon.

Caught up with Stormwatch and have really enjoyed it so far. Loved some of the nice tie ins to other DC books especially Demon Knights.

Jim Lee getting the WildCATS really in the mix in the new DCU was a bit off putting to me at first but the Daemonite threat is a refreshing change I suppose.

Think I'll catch up on Voodoo and Grifter next...

Yeah, the conclusion to Batman was a bit shit. [spoiler]Just seemed lame to have him deal with everything by beating the crap out of someone. It was a great set-up but a weak ending, compounded by classic villain stupidity ("Well, he's pretty much knocked out so I'll just leave him be then...").[/spoiler] Not sold on this whole Owls thing either, and the fact it's going to be a big cross-over doesn't fill me with hope. It's the same as I feel about Swamp Thing and Animal Man though, rather than focusing on building up to a crossover event, I can't help feel it'd be better if they focused on making the individual stories better instead.