Final Fantasy Xi

• Please log in to reply
7798 replies to this topic

#1 sith

sith
  • Members
  • 17373 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:13 PM

Hi so people have already got their PAL copys so im wondering if there is any patches to install or is it all up to date?

Oh make sure you get on Garuda with all the the other Rllmukers

See everyone tommorow :lol:

One more thing im gonna be a ninja or samurai what about you guys?

#2 Flams

Flams
  • Members
  • 8811 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:16 PM

damn, forget this was out tomorrow........Gah, I wonder whether I should get it or not

#3 Chintz

Chintz
  • Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:25 PM

Should be picking mine up tomorrow! Not that my girlfriend's likely to give me much space to play it over the weekend, apprently I'm booked in for painting duty.

It'll be mad for some of the older players, the starting points will suddenly be rammed with noobs like us, a bit like the first day at school...

#4 sith

sith
  • Members
  • 17373 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:28 PM

It'll be mad for some of the older players, the starting points will suddenly be rammed with noobs like us, a bit like the first day at school...

First day beatings :lol:

#5 Pungee

Pungee
  • Members
  • 4072 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:51 PM

First day beatings :lol:

I'll be there at the San d'Oria gates to steal your lunch money.

#6 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7906 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:56 PM

I'll be the one with the second hand uniform and uncool backpack.

I'm hoping mine arrives tomorrow, I can't wait to join the fun. Not sure which character class / job to choose though.

#7 Stolly

Stolly
  • Members
  • 4747 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

I've pm'd a world pass number to:

Mikep
Billy Brown
Sithlordx
Chintz

There's one more use available on the same pass if anyone wants it. Send me a pm

By the way the WP cost me 1789 gil in game so make sure you use it - when you get your adventurers pass at the beginning and sell it, youll have your first 50 gil to spend ( :lol: :lol: ;) :D ). I doubt you'll be able to afford any armour :D

#8 sith

sith
  • Members
  • 17373 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:22 PM

Cheers Stolly

Im stupidly excited

#9 hub2

hub2
  • Members
  • 14045 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

I'll grab a WP tonight as well, anyone who needs one can pm me. By the way Albion folks.... wheres the WP seller in Bastok again?

#10 Stolly

Stolly
  • Members
  • 4747 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:25 PM

I'll grab a WP tonight as well, anyone who needs one can pm me. By the way Albion folks.... wheres the WP seller in Bastok again?

Port Bastock in a tent thingy 3/4's of the way towards to North Gustaberg exit

#11 Craww

Craww
  • Members
  • 1220 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 05:46 AM

Oi! new folk! get orf my land!

#12 Zakalwe

Zakalwe
  • Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:42 PM

I thought I'd take advantage of this thread and put up a few newbie tips.

First things first, you will be given an adventurer's coupen at the start of the game and told to trade this to a certain NPC, and a marker will be placed on your map. You will get 50gil when this is handed over.

Get your bearings. Wonder round town, speaking to the NPCs. Some of them will give you quests, which will appear in your quest log. These can be done in your own time, so don't worry too much about getting them done straight away.

When you've had enough of the town, it's time to head outside. First, make sure you are properly equipped!

All jobs start with a weapon (or a belt if you are a monk) which will not be equipped when you start the game. If you started your races home city, you will also have a ring to equip.

Look out for a blue crystal in the city. These are homepoints, or HPs. If you set your homepoint here, then when you die (which you will), you will return here with all your items, but with a bit of exp loss.

Next thing to do before leaving is to talk to an NPC just inside the city gates. His name will finish with either 'W.W.', 'T.K.' or 'R.K.' (not sure about those last two :lol: ). He will give you several options, one of which will be to cast signet on you. Make sure you select this. Now, when you kill beasties, there will be a chance that they will drop various crystals. You will make a lot of gil from these, especially in the early levels.

Before you attack a mob, always check it. This will give you an idea of how hard it is. It will be one of seven messages. 'Too weak to be worthwhile', 'Easy prey', 'Decent challenge', 'Even match', 'Tough', 'Very tough', 'Incredibly tough' or 'It's strength is impossible to gauge'. For now, stick with decent challenges or below.

When you kill a mob, you will get experience points and if you are lucky, some loot. Some items can be 'stacked' into bundles of 12, while some cannot. Items are not stacked automatically, so you will need to do this yourself. To do this, go to your inventory. To the right of you screen, you will see a menu with two items, 'auto-sort' and 'manual sort'. On the PC version of the game, press the '+' key until this menu is selected and select 'auto-sort'. Any items that will stack will then be bundled together. This will save you going back to town every 5 minutes to clear out your inventory.

When you have a full inventory, or are bored, return to town to sell your loot. This can either be sold to a NPC vendor, at the auction house or can be put into your own bazaar. When you put something at the AH, don't forget to check the current going price, and set your prices accordingly. Don't put things up for 1 gil.

You will spend a lot of time at the AH, so get used to how it works...

Finally, some useful chat commands.

/s <message> will send a message out to people in the same map grid as you.
/shout <message> will send a message out to everyone in the same area as you
/tell <player name> <message> will send a message to <player name>
/l <message> will send a message to everyone in the currently equipped linkshell
/p <message> will send a message to everyone in your current party/alliance.

Hope that helps you get started, and hope to see you in game soon...

#13 Chintz

Chintz
  • Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:43 PM

I'll be the one with the second hand uniform and uncool backpack.

I'm hoping mine arrives tomorrow, I can't wait to join the fun. Not sure which character class / job to choose though.

I'm thinking Elvaan warrior to kick off. Bit common the whole warrior thing by the sounds of it, but I reckon sorting out some kind of melee skills quite sharpish must be pretty handy.

I'll see how I get on after that.

Oh, and I'll be wearing one of those brown fake leather satchels with the little clear pocket (for my name and address) on the front.

It's coming up with a name that's getting to me....

#14 lakitu

lakitu
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:44 PM

I just got hold of the PAL version to install Chains of Promathia to my already installed american FFXI, but the expansion pack refuses to acknowledge that I've got FFXI installed on my machine. So I guess I got to order the american expansion pack. Extremely unnecessary as the games should be identical (unless Square and Ubisoft have fucked up and made some European servers that the European players will be forced to play on).

#15 Zakalwe

Zakalwe
  • Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:47 PM

I just got hold of the PAL version to install Chains of Promathia to my already installed american FFXI, but the expansion pack refuses to acknowledge that I've got FFXI installed on my machine. So I guess I got to order the american expansion pack. Extremely unnecessary as the games should be identical (unless Square and Ubisoft have fucked up and made some European servers that the European players will be forced to play on).

I think if you un-install the us version and then install the whole of the euro version it should work.

You can then add your US pol id (not sure exactly how to do this) and get access to your US chars.

I think the only problem is you cannot set up new chars on your US id...

#16 Chintz

Chintz
  • Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:48 PM

That's a point, will we definitely be joining the 'same' Garuda server with the PAL issue?

#17 Stolly

Stolly
  • Members
  • 4747 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:53 PM

That's a point, will we definitely be joining the 'same' Garuda server with the PAL issue?

Yes along with loads of Japanese and US players, both PS2 and PC based.

#18 Chintz

Chintz
  • Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:56 PM

That's actually pretty clever isn't it....

#19 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7906 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:00 PM

I'm thinking Elvaan warrior to kick off. Bit common the whole warrior thing by the sounds of it, but I reckon sorting out some kind of melee skills quite sharpish must be pretty handy.

I'll see how I get on after that.

Oh, and I'll be wearing one of those brown fake leather satchels with the little clear pocket (for my name and address) on the front.

It's coming up with a name that's getting to me....

I was fancying warrior too for similar reasons, but I'm a bit worried that finding a party to join might be tough if that's a particularly popular class. I too will fret for a stupidly long time over a suitable name.

Zakalwe – thanks for the starting tips. Very helpful indeed. I'm getting hugely excited about this. I'm going to be so, so gutted if I can't get it running on my machine.

#20 Craww

Craww
  • Members
  • 1220 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:08 AM

I was fancying warrior too for similar reasons, but I'm a bit worried that finding a party to join might be tough if that's a particularly popular class. I too will fret for a stupidly long time over a suitable name.

Zakalwe – thanks for the starting tips. Very helpful indeed. I'm getting hugely excited about this. I'm going to be so, so gutted if I can't get it running on my machine.

I think warrior is one of the easier jobs to get parties with. It's also a sound base for the other melee classes when you complete the sub job quest and even as a sub for some advanced jobs. Go for it :lol:

#21 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7906 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:08 PM

I think warrior is one of the easier jobs to get parties with. It's also a sound base for the other melee classes when you complete the sub job quest and even as a sub for some advanced jobs. Go for it :lol:

Good stuff, I think I will then. I'll do a bit more reading up before deciding for definite, but it's looking likely.

I don't know about any of the other 'noobs', but as well as the game itself, I'm really looking forward to the whole community aspect of the experience. People here are already going out of their way to welcome us and ease our entry into the game – many thanks to everyone offering advice, it's greatly appreciated.

#22 Grimnir

Grimnir
  • Members
  • 2682 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:10 PM

Warrior is great fun, but in parties you rely greatly on the healers healing the right person (i.e you first, as you'll probably be the keeping the mobs attention), and everyone (mainly the white/black mages) relies on you to keep the mobs off them, because they can't take damage. It's quite annoying when you're doing your job, and nobody heals you, and you die and everyone else has nearly full HP and gets loads of Exp, but you'll get used to it (and it rarely ever happens). :lol:

#23 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7906 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:28 PM

Another quick question: The lady of the house has expressed an interest in FFXI – if she wanted to play, will she have to set up her own account, or could she create a second character on my account? If so, would that have any disadvantage for me?

#24 hub2

hub2
  • Members
  • 14045 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:30 PM

An extra character is only $1, no problems setting it up.

Disadvantages: You can't play when she is. ^^

#25 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7906 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:41 PM

An extra character is only $1, no problems setting it up.

Disadvantages: You can't play when she is. ^^

I was going to say in my original post, she's got no chance of getting on the PC unless she fancies getting up at 4am – probably just as I'll be getting to bed if I get this game running. I can see myself getting stupidly addicted.

Is that an extra $1 per month for a second character, or a one-off? And there aren't any kind of overall account stats or suchlike that would get messed up by her playing?

#26 Stolly

Stolly
  • Members
  • 4747 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:47 PM

I was going to say in my original post, she's got no chance of getting on the PC unless she fancies getting up at 4am – probably just as I'll be getting to bed if I get this game running. I can see myself getting stupidly addicted.

Is that an extra $1 per month for a second character, or a one-off? And there aren't any kind of overall account stats or suchlike that would get messed up by her playing?

I have two characters, one of which is a 'mule' that I use for selling ang buying things for me in Bastock. That character's name is Kel and is a totally seperate character in game for which I pay an extra $1 a month. I can't play as 'Stolly' though if 'kel' is in game and vice versa.

Sanjuro in our Linkshell has played for months but now his girlfriend also plays - I can imagine there could be some aggro with both of them wanting to play at the same time!

Doesn't up set any stats by the way - both characters are pinned to your main handle.

Oh and don't take the addiction lightly - it can get serious (700 hours plus playtime to date) although apparantly there are some Japanese players in game with 10,000 hours play time :huh: :D :)

#27 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7906 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:52 PM

I have two characters, one of which is a 'mule' that I use for selling ang buying things for me in Bastock. That character's name is Kel and is a totally seperate character in game for which I pay an extra $1 a month. I can't play as 'Stolly' though if 'kel' is in game and vice versa.

Sanjuro in our Linkshell has played for months but now his girlfriend also plays - I can imagine there could be some aggro with both of them wanting to play at the same time!

Doesn't up set any stats by the way - both characters are pinned to your main handle.

Oh and don't take the addiction lightly - it can get serious (700 hours plus playtime to date) although apparantly there are some Japanese players in game with 10,000 hours play time :huh: :D :)

That's good to know – she'll be pleased, she doesn't like being left out! One question though, if your two character are completely seperate, how does the 'mule' trade items for your other character? Can your two characters freely swap items, Gil, etc?

As for the addiction, I can believe it. I get hooked into games at the best of times, and I'm no stranger to the wee small hours due to that fact. I get the feeling this huge and involved could up the stakes somewhat. I'll have to regulate myself. That said, I'm sure my girlfriend will be there with a friendly slap around the back of the head if I'm neglecting her...

#28 Stolly

Stolly
  • Members
  • 4747 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:58 PM

That's good to know – she'll be pleased, she doesn't like being left out! One question though, if your two character are completely seperate, how does the 'mule' trade items for your other character? Can your two characters freely swap items, Gil, etc?

As for the addiction, I can believe it. I get hooked into games at the best of times, and I'm no stranger to the wee small hours due to that fact. I get the feeling this huge and involved could up the stakes somewhat. I'll have to regulate myself. That said, I'm sure my girlfriend will be there with a friendly slap around the back of the head if I'm neglecting her...

I can send items and money to any character on Garuda. Kel receives stuff from me and sells it and then sends me back the gil. You only have seven slots to sell things at the Auction Houses so a second character gives me access to 14 slots which can help alot.

#29 Billy Brown

Billy Brown
  • Supporters
  • 7906 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 05:05 PM

I can send items and money to any character on Garuda. Kel receives stuff from me and sells it and then sends me back the gil. You only have seven slots to sell things at the Auction Houses so a second character gives me access to 14 slots which can help alot.

Ah, I see. Good stuff. It's all looking good then. I just hope it all runs smoothly – I'm going to be gutted if it doesn't work after all this. Still, I'm going to stay positive. Again, thanks for all the advice.

#30 Icebox

Icebox
  • Members
  • 1373 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 05:19 PM

If any of you set your nation to San d'Oria I'll keep a look out for you - I'll be levelling around Ronfaure or in Ghelsba Outpost.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2)