Points Of Review

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 19584 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:58 AM

Those of you who bought E124 will remember the Points of Review feature that deconstructed the theory behind reviews. One of the notable parts for me was the multiple review of P.N.03 or whatever it's called, as it showed how you can't please everybody when you review something. Anyway, give we all have Net access and so can download games 'n' that, I propose the following:

- That we pick a classic game (we need to be fair to those with slow PCs, I have no curent-gen consoles ;) and so I recommend emulatory shenanagins or classic PC titles) and review it.

- That each review be about the size of the feature's reviews (e.g. about 200 words or so)

- That maybe it'd be an idea to send all stuff to one person, and then that person post all submitted reviews at once so that each reviewer's opinions isn't tainted

Just an idea...you probably think it's crap, I think it would be interesting.

#2 John Vaughan

John Vaughan
  • Members
  • 5220 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:33 PM

Sounds incredibly like the method Famitsu use, with the ultimate scoring system deduced by the law of averages. Personally I love the idea, but the implementation can be a little awkward, especially online.

#3 Lord Mooch

Lord Mooch
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 06:34 PM

I like the idea. I once wrote a couple of 150-word reviews and they were as challenging as a 'full length' review in their own way. I think it would be interesting to do it with more recent console releases, but I don't use my PC for gaming ;-)

Anyway, it could encompass whichever platforms/games people wanted.

#4 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 40823 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:24 PM

I'm going to really shorten my reviews. They're very long - but this is a good idea.

Crash and ZZap did it too.

#5 Lord Mooch

Lord Mooch
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:29 PM

Well, I'd be up for coordinating this if enough people show an interest.

#6 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 19584 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:43 PM

Yay for enthusiasm. ;)

#7 John Vaughan

John Vaughan
  • Members
  • 5220 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:51 PM

Let's give it a go then. If someone nominates a recent game we can agree on, and then perhaps come to an agreement on scoring methods, length of reviews and what not. Games I've played recently which I would feel comfortable I'd played enough of to offer an opinion on would be:

- Tales of Symphonia
- Chronicles of Riddick
- Burnout 3
- Pikmin 2

Of course I'd be willing to talk about an older game, as that might be easier for us to find four people who've played the game enough.

Thoughts, then, anyone?

Discussion over MSN is welcome, if anyone fancies adding me click the MSN button below :lol:

#8 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 19584 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:59 PM

Let's give it a go then. If someone nominates a recent game we can agree on, and then perhaps come to an agreement on scoring methods, length of reviews and what not. Games I've played recently which I would feel comfortable I'd played enough of to offer an opinion on would be:

- Tales of Symphonia
- Chronicles of Riddick
- Burnout 3
- Pikmin 2

Of course I'd be willing to talk about an older game, as that might be easier for us to find four people who've played the game enough.

Thoughts, then, anyone?

Discussion over MSN is welcome, if anyone fancies adding me click the MSN button below :lol:

we need to be fair to those with slow PCs, I have no curent-gen consoles  and so I recommend emulatory shenanagins or classic PC titles

Then again, I have played BO3 quite recently...but this is the only one I could comment on. You lot go ahead though...personally I'd look at something like Mario 64/Goldeneye/Soul Calibur at the very latest (but then I'm one who doesn't get excited by modern games anymore as it is... :lol: )

#9 Lord Mooch

Lord Mooch
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:18 PM

Some thoughts then.

We could have a sticky that lists games we would like to do a 'point of review' (POR) on. The format would be something like:

Current List

Burnout 3 - Xbox 30-Sep-2004
Fable - Xbox
Pro Evo 4 - PS2

History
Manic Miner - PC Emulator 15-Aug-2004

Where there is a due date that game is the current POR. Where there is no due date that game is on the list awaiting selection as the current POR. PORd games are kept in the list to build a history.

Any game can be put onto the list: PM the coordinator to get a new game put on the list. The choice of POR could be made with a weekly/whatever vote by PMing the coordinator with your choice from the current list. Most votes wins and in a draw the game highest on the list wins.

The due date is the date by which all reviewers must have PMd their review to the coordinator. Once the date has passed the coordinator will sort out a POR topic with all the reviews in.

I think a 200 word limit would be ideal. And maybe we could do away with scores?

#10 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 19584 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:44 PM

Some thoughts then.

We could have a sticky that lists games we would like to do a 'point of review' (POR) on. The format would be something like:

Current List

Burnout 3 - Xbox 30-Sep-2004
Fable - Xbox
Pro Evo 4 - PS2

History
Manic Miner - PC Emulator 15-Aug-2004

Where there is a due date that game is the current POR. Where there is no due date that game is on the list awaiting selection as the current POR. PORd games are kept in the list to build a history.

Any game can be put onto the list: PM the coordinator to get a new game put on the list. The choice of POR could be made with a weekly/whatever vote by PMing the coordinator with your choice from the current list. Most votes wins and in a draw the game highest on the list wins.

The due date is the date by which all reviewers must have PMd their review to the coordinator. Once the date has passed the coordinator will sort out a POR topic with all the reviews in.

I think a 200 word limit would be ideal. And maybe we could do away with scores?

Sounds good.

#11 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 19584 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:33 PM

Update: a few #edgers may have heard about my acquisition of an Xbox (free i might add), and so Burnout 3 would indeed be possible for me now. What do you think?

#12 John Vaughan

John Vaughan
  • Members
  • 5220 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:40 PM

I'm up for it. PM me.

#13 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 19584 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:35 PM

Update: I'm still interested in the idea...I'd definitely go for BO3 (or perhaps even Halo 2 if enough people have it), and so if anyone's interested, post here, and if there's enough names we can agree on a deadline, and also agree on who will receive - and eventually publish - the opinions. I might even promote the project in my sig if it helps...so...

Current participants: qazimod
Agreed deadline for application: f*ck knows
Agreed deadline for publication: to be decided when we have enough participants
Agreed game: to be decided by participants

#14 APM

APM
  • Supporters
  • 28349 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:06 PM

I'll join in this, if that's ok. Never actually written a review for a game, but wouldn't mind giving it a go.

#15 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:32 PM

I'm up for this and have access to BO3.

#16 smithem

smithem
  • Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:23 AM

Sounds like a good idea- also have BO3 but are there any other suggestions?

#17 Alex W.

Alex W.
  • Supporters
  • 50797 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:06 AM

I'd be up for reviewing Halo 2, and GBA Castlevanias. I've got ludicrous amounts of expertise with the latter.

#18 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 19584 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:06 AM

Halo 2's a good call...

#19 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

I've romped through Halo2 on normal and heroic both on my own and in co-op and am currently about half way through on legendary so I can do Halo2 if needs be.

#20 smithem

smithem
  • Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:47 AM

Lets try to get this started then
(As I don't have Halo 2, I'm gonna push for Burnout 3!)

#21 Chris.

Chris.
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:26 AM

I'm gonna push for Burnout 3!)

In that case, a Predicted (Actual) Interest Curve might be apt.

#22 APM

APM
  • Supporters
  • 28349 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:51 PM

Are we doing this then or what?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users