• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:29 PM

Driv3r

It's like GTA:VC, only prettier and a lot less fun.

#2 Mr Spew

Mr Spew
  • Members
  • 13273 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

I don't like either game, but how is it prettier?

#3 dizogg

dizogg
  • Members
  • 21334 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:24 PM

I don't like either game, but how is it prettier?

It does have better graphics.

#4 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41606 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:27 PM

Theres been quite a bit o' shit about this game.

I think Driv3r is a riot, and some of the mission are great fun. If your into movies, then you'll get muchos action from the director mode which is now very quick to use.

I don't care what anyone says but its a bloody good laugh and has a great 'one more go' appeal.

I'd argue the better graphics thing though.
It 'sometimes' has better graphics, certainly more edgy.

So i'd say....
A slightly buggy but solid title.

#5 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 02:04 AM

2 most annoying things:

Replay. I'm playing on "Take a ride" mode and I do an incredibly cool stunt. Brilliant, let's see how that looked from a spectator's view. Pause. Go to replay. Am I sure? Yes. The replay starts from the beginning of my run. I don't care, I just want to see the jump I just did. Fast forward only does double time - that's rubbish, plus, when I get to the bit I've just done and decided that it was the coolest thing ever, can I continue my game? Can I bollocks.

Number 2. On the box there is quite clearly a picture of the main protagonist wielding a gun whilst driving. It's as if this is the main feature of the game. How do I do that? I'd really like to do some drive bys. Is it even possible? I doubt it. LIES!

#6 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41606 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:04 AM

Point 1 - Thats a fickle point. Play the second 'on rails' mission when your blitzing police cars with 200 grenades. Its a bloody hoot.

Points 2 - Some missions allow you to shoot people from a car. Not in take a ride i might add, so again, a fickle point sir.

Also, You're not a 'gangster' as such. You ride with a profession car stealing gang and i must add, who many "professional car stealing gangs" do you know how do drive-bys???

Hmm?

#7 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:49 AM

Also, You're not a 'gangster' as such. You ride with a profession car stealing gang and i must add, who many "professional car stealing gangs" do you know how do drive-bys???

Hmm?

Yes, that's why it's not as fun

#8 -Carpet-

-Carpet-
  • Members
  • 1660 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:46 PM

It would be all too easy for someone to say: "Shit Game." [/spinal-tap]

*wonders if that is too far for a 2-post poster*

#9 blackakira

blackakira
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:01 PM

My one-line review:

"High-paced, lots of action, but full of annoying little things which seem to distract greatly from the very occasional flashes of inspiration the game provides: the cool/seedy characters with whom Tanner interacts throughout the game, the Bruckheimer-esque action sequences, the movie replay option: rent it, don't buy it, and see what I mean."

Is that too much for a one-line review?

#10 Strawp

Strawp
  • Members
  • 19749 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:02 AM

At my resolution that's a 3 line review :o

I've got to say though, this game is really growing on me and although there are a few little things that are less than inspired (the enemy pedestrian AI, the death anims which should clearly be ragdoll physics, the shooting sequences) I can't for the life of me think why it's being so slated on this forum.

I stick by the "not as fun as GTA3" statement because there are parts where the GTA series rewards you for taking stupid risks and experimenting a bit where D3 just doesn't. Do a jump and clear a house in GTA:VC and you expect to get a little bonus flash telling you how far you jumped and how many points you've gained. It's not the points that are important - it's the fact that the game noticed you've tried to have a bit of fun with it.

#11 Mogget

Mogget
  • Members
  • 3433 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:12 PM

One line review of Unreal 2.............

PRETTY SHIT.

#12 jigger_jay

jigger_jay
  • Members
  • 1499 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

I think Driv3r is a riot

were you abused as a child ?

cricky thats a first "i liked driv3r"

#13 Bojangle

Bojangle
  • Members
  • 11712 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:31 PM

Don't worry, some people even think it doesn't have frame rate problems and terrible pop up. ;)

#14 connect

connect
  • Members
  • 3791 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:46 PM

Ninja Gaiden -

Looks very nice, plays rather well but is harder than The Rock!

#15 Robo_1

Robo_1
  • Supporters
  • 8373 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

Don't worry, some people even think it doesn't have frame rate problems and terrible pop up. :lol:

Technically it's a complete joke of a game, but when it works, it can be fun.

The trouble with a game like Driv3r, is as soon as one of the "hardcore" press rubbish it, the myth of how bad it is quadruples, with people who've never played the game (and I'm not directing that comment at anyone in particular) putting the boot in for good show. Very few people who did enjoy the game actually say anything, for fear of being mocked by the vocal haters. The simple fact is, bar a few classics, it's always safer to say how shit a game is than to actually stand up for one.

Now that the dust has settled on Driv3r, yes it is a poor game, but there is still fun to be had with it, and scores of 3/10 now look unnecessarily extreme.

Anyhow:

Terminator: Redemption

Fast, fun, additive & challenging. It's a real tough cookie, but the arcade pace and cinematic set pieces all adds up to eight hours of authentic Arnie action.

#16 SeanR

SeanR
  • Supporters
  • 107005 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:53 PM

Ford Racing 3:

A simple functional live racing game, with plenty of laughs, and plenty of features.

7/10

#17 zektbach

zektbach
  • Members
  • 7719 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:07 PM

Katamari Damacy :

The most fun you'll have with balls without sticking your hands down your pants.

#18 huxley

huxley
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:39 PM

Killzone -
Wank ! - nice box

#19 zektbach

zektbach
  • Members
  • 7719 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:15 PM

Killzone -
Wank ! - nice trees

fixed

#20 Disciple

Disciple
  • Members
  • 53923 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:26 PM

GTA Vice City
I wish my life was this fun.

Halo 2
It's just not finished.

PES4
EAT MY GOAL!

#21 footle

footle
  • Members
  • 19125 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:29 PM

Rome Total War: War, without the tedious "Cover My Six" creeping about that makes up the bulk of Full Spectrum Warrior.

#22 Preacher

Preacher
  • Members
  • 7666 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:20 AM

Halo 2 - Halo for the useless generation - but still quite good.

#23 Guybrush

Guybrush
  • Members
  • 4355 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:31 AM

Super Mario Sunshine: Peaks around the midpoint.

#24 Preacher

Preacher
  • Members
  • 7666 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:34 AM

Super Mario Sunshine: Peaks around the midpoint.

If that was a joke, I got it. If not, you're incredibly deep without knowing it. Either way, I didn't laugh. :) :)

See, the sun is at it's peak around midday....I'm off to bed :D

#25 Polmon

Polmon
  • Supporters
  • 6626 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:37 AM

Star Ocean 3

Ultimately a disappointing by-the-numbers JRPG with a 50/50 inspired/infuriating combat system and backed by a predictable storyline featuring some memorable characters.

#26 ChrisN

ChrisN
  • Members
  • 43960 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:01 PM

Halflife 2 - The "Emily Bouff" of games: lots of fun, really quite pretty at times, but you'd not want to play it for the rest of your life.

Counter Strike:CS - The "Aria Giovanni" of games: you could bang away at it for months on end, theres always some new way to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users