Anime

• Please log in to reply
17873 replies to this topic

#15901 JohnC

JohnC
  • Supporters
  • 42892 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

I'm glad that HMV 20% off blu-rays came when it did. Angel Beats and season one and two of Black Lagoon appearing in the next few weeks.

With backwards French style spines :quote:

#15902 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 12608 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

Monster, Kaiji and Death Note are all pretty much amazing.

Got anything similar up for grabs? Currently downloading Gankutsuou and also planning on watching Black Lagoon and Gunbuster (Diebuster?).

#15903 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

You have to watch Gunbuster - it's absolutely lovely.

#15904 Jack

Jack
  • Members
  • 35768 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

It's not as good as SEED Destiny, though.

Posted Image

#15905 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

All those years after Seed Destiny and I still remember the horrors of it. To this day, I still have a tiny bit of irrational dislike for Shin's VA because of it even though he has been in some other great roles.

You totally have to point out what you hate about the show. It got fucking nothing right, and I love hearing people moan about it.

HIS DEAD SISTER'S ARRRRRRM, etc.

Actually, there was one good episode that I recall - where the bad mans are literally blowing chunks out of the main spaceship, and Shin goes batshit mental, and everything.

#15906 Jack

Jack
  • Members
  • 35768 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

The only good episode was when Shin tore the Freedom apart, and even then it's diminished by only serving as the in-story justification for selling a new model kit.

#15907 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

The best episode was when the short-haired lass that cried all the time got a golden gundam for no proper reason and got its arm blown off and the animators forgot.

Also the one where Shin cried. And the other one where he cried. And then Kira cried. Then everyone cried.

#15908 Mr.Jeff

Mr.Jeff
  • Members
  • 5182 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

I particularly liked the bit where the gundams got progressively bigger and bigger until it resulted in that one ultimate gigantic behemoth gundam which looked utter ballwank.

#15909 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

It. Is. Done. Monster is finally watched.

Spoiler

It's such an utter fucking mess, story-wise. I.... I don't even comprehend properly what made Johan so dangerous. How did he influence people so easily? For example, his 'parents' during that Johan-wants-the-rich-mans-money-oh-wait-lol arc; it's never even hinted at how he controls people so easily - except for that Milosh kid, but kids are fucking stupid.

Gnngghhh. It was shit, wasn't it?

#15910 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 12608 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

Spoiler

It's such an utter fucking mess, story-wise. I.... I don't even comprehend properly what made Johan so dangerous. How did he influence people so easily? For example, his 'parents' during that Johan-wants-the-rich-mans-money-oh-wait-lol arc; it's never even hinted at how he controls people so easily - except for that Milosh kid, but kids are fucking stupid.

Hah, your reaction couldn't have been more typical after watching the ending Meh.

It's one of my favs though! (probably due to the fact that as you grow older you're kind of done with the standard shounen anime fare).

#15911 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

While I can appreciate certain aspects of it... it baffles the shit out of me as to how it's considered a classic. 'Johan is going to go wild', we're told at one point - and he doesn't. It promises so much, then just seemingly forgets about whatever it was doing and shunts the focus off to some new character (who, of course, will have MAJOR CONNECTIONS to the overall plot).

That said - it does have interesting characters. Lunge and Grimmer are god-tier, and in small doses, Tenma can be awesome. The same can't be said of Dieter and that thief cunt, though.

#15912 Mr.Jeff

Mr.Jeff
  • Members
  • 5182 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Yeah I must confess that the ending to the manga at least always left me a bit cold. It's definitely worth up till the conclusion though, if only as you say for the characters like Lunge.

#15913 Retroid

Retroid

Password loser

• Members
  • 7673 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Seriously what a load of bollocks Meh, it's got perhaps the best story of any anime. Everything comes together in an amazing way, the influence thing requires a *tiny* bit of suspension of disbelief but fucking hell it's still more believable than 99% of other anime.

#15914 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

The story is like a big bag of balls, spilled all over an ice-rink, with someone wearing no shoes trying to pick them all up and put them back together again.

There's even more bits that nagged at me, like
Spoiler

Raaaage.

#15915 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Everything comes together in an amazing way, the influence thing requires a *tiny* bit of suspension of disbelief but fucking hell it's still more believable than 99% of other anime.

I can't comment on Monster directly, having neither seen or read, but I think the end of your comment is a bit of a strange one. I mean sure, teenagers piloting giant robots, ninjas and shinigami may not be believable but they aren't trying to be. Plus you know, all those down to earth, everyday slice of life shows you've clearly managed to forget about make up a lot more than 1 percent.

In short, baffling comment is baffling.

#15916 Retroid

Retroid

Password loser

• Members
  • 7673 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

I was including those slice-of-life shows when I said that, I've watched a fair few of them - even the more realistic ones have something that's not believable in them. What I believe Monster does with Johann's "influence" is kind of try to explain how somebody like Hitler could gain power in Germany, charasmatic evil which can twist on people's emotions to bend them to do whatever he wanted. I mean unless you've watched it and you're not Meh, you probably can't understand. It's kind of like Death Note, minus the book/shinigami and only 5% as silly with the presumtions characters make. Similar in premise but much better written.

#15917 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

In what way is Monster better written? It's so bloated and scatterbrain. By the time the last 20 eps came around, I was desperate for some interesting revelations - which didn't really come. It's as if it suffered a similar problem to Death Note - it clearly got too popular to end where the author wanted it to, but that meant stuffing it with unintended elements.

#15918 VN1X

VN1X
  • Members
  • 12608 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

I've just started Gintama. I wonder how long I'll last.

The first two eps were funny though!

#15919 Jack

Jack
  • Members
  • 35768 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hey Meh, you know how we were talking about SEED? That HD version they're doing just Greedoed the bit where Nicol gets offed. He actually walks into Kira's sword this time. Jesus Yamato rides again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8vUp0mHEks&t=21m20s

(Skip to 21:20)

#15920 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

I've just started Gintama. I wonder how long I'll last.

The first two eps were funny though!

2 down, 240+ to go!

GinTama. Parody, fourth wall breaking and being completely batshit mental insane. I fucking love it :D

#15921 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hey Meh, you know how we were talking about SEED? That HD version they're doing just Greedoed the bit where Nicol gets offed. He actually walks into Kira's sword this time. Jesus Yamato rides again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8vUp0mHEks&t=21m20s

(Skip to 21:20)

It's the best Gundam and I pray every day for the producer's wife to make a third season.

#15922 Retroid

Retroid

Password loser

• Members
  • 7673 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Monster, Kaiji and Death Note are all pretty much amazing.

Got anything similar up for grabs? Currently downloading Gankutsuou and also planning on watching Black Lagoon and Gunbuster (Diebuster?).

Gankutsuou is amazing! (well they all are) You enjoy that, at first I remember it really fucking with my eyes but keep with it and you'll love it.

As for similar things, Code Geass maybe? It's similar to Death Note but isn't quite as grounded in reality with a bit more action. But if I remember correctly they really do change it up a fair bit between seasons which is cool.

#15923 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Code Geass is one of the worst things bestowed upon mankind.

#15924 Retroid

Retroid

Password loser

• Members
  • 7673 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Oh stop picking fights you hipster you!

#15925 womblingfree

womblingfree
  • Members
  • 17069 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Spoiler

Starts off great but really drags at times, with peaks and troughs. And yes, the end isn't wonderful, mostly because Johan goes from being an untouchable god-like figure to being far more vulnerable. And the whole pretense of the end was just, 'I sat through 70+ episodes to find out that??'

But the highlights are excellent, even if the pay-off's not perfect. Took me about three years to trawl through the entire series,

it suffered a similar problem to Death Note - it clearly got too popular to end where the author wanted it to, but that meant stuffing it with unintended elements.

Death Note at least retained the cat and mouse thing that was always at its core, and I enjoyed it up until the end. Monster was all over the shop. Still, did enjoy most of it, just that due to its length even the padding must've consumed about 40 hours of my life.

Gantz (the manga) is another one that must've lasted years more than intended. Still totally hooked though. Never understood why they cut the anime short in such a crap way??

#15926 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Oh stop picking fights you hipster you!

:lol:

#15927 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 31448 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Starts off great but really drags at times, with peaks and troughs. And yes, the end isn't wonderful, mostly because Johan goes from being an untouchable god-like figure to being far more vulnerable. And the whole pretense of the end was just, 'I sat through 70+ episodes to find out that??'

But the highlights are excellent, even if the pay-off's not perfect. Took me about three years to trawl through the entire series,

Death Note at least retained the cat and mouse thing that was always at its core, and I enjoyed it up until the end. Monster was all over the shop. Still, did enjoy most of it, just that due to its length even the padding must've consumed about 40 hours of my life.

Gantz (the manga) is another one that must've lasted years more than intended. Still totally hooked though. Never understood why they cut the anime short in such a crap way??

Yeah, Death Note at least had a sense of pacing, that was entirely absent from Monster. Gantz is so utterly wonderful in how the author just doesn't seem to give a fuck - and the anime... well, blame Gonzo for that. Blame Gonzo for wiping out the dinosaurs, and I'd probably find some way of agreeing with you. It was one of those shows that just didn't have enough manga to sustain it, but Gonzo handle everything terribly.

#15928 Retroid

Retroid

Password loser

• Members
  • 7673 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Posted Image

Made a Gurren Lagann themed card for my Boota obsessed gf, I'm no artist but I drew it and everything! :)

#15929 Blobcat

Blobcat
  • Members
  • 7646 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Awesome :D

#15930 Retroid

Retroid

Password loser

• Members
  • 7673 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Cheers guys, it's the birthday tomorrow so I hope she likes it lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users