Help needed for MAME Outrun

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 20174 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 03:56 PM

After losing multiple times on the first stage of Outrun due to not knowing where my gear controls are, I eventually discovered that the Gear Up and Gear Down keys were the same keys bound to Accelerate and Brake, even though it says differently in the "Input (this game)" submenu in the TAB menu. I have to double tap Accelerate to shift down and keep moving, and I have to tap Brake then Accelerate to shift up and keep moving. As you can imagine, this is not very practical for me! :( Has anyone got a definitive controller configuration file?

Here is my current config, by the way.

Posted Image

#2 Idonex

Idonex
  • Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

Last i remember the System16 (i'm including Outrun and Hang On in this group) drivers were bugged and had been put on the todo list of things to rewrite. One of the problems in Outrun was not being able to change gear properly...

#3 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26401 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 04:40 PM

from my experience, there are several versions of Outrun emulated on mame. Try a few out, i know i had the same problems as you - but i got one that works properly now.

#4 Troublegum

Troublegum
  • Members
  • 1129 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 06:07 PM

Some older builds of Mame definitely had a gear shift problem in Outrun, but this has been fixed for the newer versions.

What version are you running, qazimod?

With a new version (0.81 was released yesterday, folks) the problem should go away.

#5 Jim Miles

Jim Miles
  • Members
  • 13785 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:14 PM

Do modern versions of MAME always support all games up to that point? I'd heard stories of people upgrading their version and then finding certain ROMs stopped working...

#6 Synchronated

Synchronated
  • Members
  • 16340 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:18 PM

Do modern versions of MAME always support all games up to that point? I'd heard stories of people upgrading their version and then finding certain ROMs stopped working...

yes, they do, although some romsets are revised with each version so occasionally a romset won't work anymore, but you just need to update the romset for that game.

#7 Dimahoo

Dimahoo
  • Members
  • 41430 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:25 AM

You should change the gear controls from the general settings rather then an indivdual's rom settings. Then, the theory goes they should be compatible with every racing game.
Remeber with Outrun (and many older racing games) you just had Hi and Low. Not gears as such.
I've never had a problem with outrun myself, but i never changed the controls. They were mapped to my PS2 pad as Triangle and Square.

#8 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 20174 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 05:17 PM

Some older builds of Mame definitely had a gear shift problem in Outrun, but this has been fixed for the newer versions.

What version are you running, qazimod?

With a new version (0.81 was released yesterday, folks) the problem should go away.

MAME32 v.36, but I also have v.56 around somewhere...

Either way, both are quite ancient. It's also worth mentioning that I never use MAME - always MAME32 - because I can't do DOS commands for toffee.

#9 Troublegum

Troublegum
  • Members
  • 1129 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 05:35 PM

MAME32 v.36, but I also have v.56 around somewhere...

Either way, both are quite ancient. It's also worth mentioning that I never use MAME - always MAME32 - because I can't do DOS commands for toffee.

Try the v56 version and see if that makes a difference.

If not, then go for the latest Mame 32 release.

http://www.classicga...me32qa/down.htm

You may have to update your existing roms, as Synchronated Undertaker mentioned, but it will certainly be worth it.

#10 Qazimod

Qazimod
  • Supporters
  • 20174 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:36 PM

Progress!

I just downloaded MAME 0.81b (DOS only...I am used to Win32 - could this be a problem?) The good news is that I can now accelerate, brake, turn, and change gears effortlessly - the controls are working fine. :D

The bad news is that the framerate's a bit choppy. I think that (as you suggested) it's a compatibility issue. Perhaps I could see if I could get the latest MAME32 release instead?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users