• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28948 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

POPULAR

UbiART Framework is the engine that powered Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends, both great and beautiful platformers.

At their Digi Day event they revealed Child of Light for Xbox 360, Wii U, PS3, PC, Xbox One and PS4. It's been described as an ode to fairytales and JRPGS.

I was able to play a brief demo of Child of Light during the Ubisoft Digital Day event in San Francisco last week. The demo, which included a few encounters culminating in a boss fight, was understandably brief, but didn't diminish the game's beauty. While navigating potent vistas ripped from a watercolor painting, and foreboding caves inspired by old fairy tales, a pleasant and steady tickling of the ivories heralded my arrival to each new map.

There are no random encounters in Child of Light; rather, you see every enemy within the environment and, upon touching them, are thrust into battle. Child of Light's battle system is a variant of the Active Time Battle system employed in the Final Fantasy series. At the bottom of the screen, a bar shows how long it will take for enemy actions (and those of your own) to initiate; casting big spells or employing special moves will increase or decrease your attack timing, so planning is paramount.

http://www.joystiq.c...nd-up-to-jrpgs/

Trailer:

They also revealed their 2D WW1 puzzle adventure Valiant Hearts, running on the same engine. Systems: PS3, PS4, Xbox360, Xbone, PC.

Ubisoft Montpellier's Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a 2D puzzle adventure game that set during World War I, but it's not a war game, according to audio director Yoan Fanise. "It's a game about war," he told Polygon. "About humans during war."

The game uses a comic book art style, all hand-drawn by art director Paul Tumelaire, to tell the story of five characters of different nationalities during WWI who are all somehow connected. There's the French prisoner of war who peels potatoes in a German camp. There's the American volunteer. There's the Belgian nurse. There's the English pilot. And there's the German soldier, who is in love with the Frenchman's daughter.

http://www.polygon.c...n-beings-during

Trailer:

This is why Ubi is far more interesting than most big publishers imo, because they do stuff like this as well as AC and FC.

Edit: technically, this runs one the same engine as well. Rayman Fiesta Run, the sequel to Jungle Run.

http://www.polygon.c...p-to-jungle-run

#2 Hellcock

Hellcock
  • Supporters
  • 11686 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Both look lovely.

Child of Light looks like an interactive Ghibli movie. Interested.

#3 MDY

MDY
  • Members
  • 5704 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Valiant Hearts pics:

VH_SC_1_Emile_Neuve_Chapelle.jpg

VH_SC_3_Emile_Reims.jpg

VH_SC_4_Emile_Trenches.jpg

#4 _Pow_

_Pow_
  • Members
  • 7575 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

bawwww

the dog better not die

#5 Wroth

Wroth
  • Members
  • 8261 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

I really want to get my hands on their framework. It looks so incredibly intuitive and fun to work with

Incase anyone hasn't seen it

#6 Wools

Wools
  • Members
  • 2008 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

I want these games in my life, now.

#7 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14538 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Me too both look superb and seeing what else Ubiart can achieve beyond the wonderful Rayman games is a sight to behold. Can't believe only 5 replies. For shame Rllmuk.

#8 chamberlago

chamberlago
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

These both look beautiful. Love the fact a big studio like Ubisoft are making games like this. Just hope the gameplay matches the visuals.

#9 Chosty

Chosty
  • Members
  • 12915 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Valiant Hearts pics:

VH_SC_1_Emile_Neuve_Chapelle.jpg

VH_SC_3_Emile_Reims.jpg

VH_SC_4_Emile_Trenches.jpg

Great to see the power of modern consoles being harnessed for stuff other than photorealism, especially coming from such a large developer.

#10 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 66206 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, the diversity is nice. Although we can't really complain lately, with all those stylised indie / downloadable games that appear. The time that every game wanted to be (photo)realistic is long behind us it seems.

#11 MDY

MDY
  • Members
  • 5704 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Child of Light looks fantastic..

CoL_Screen04.jpg

Actually from these pics, the battle system looks closer to the superb one from Grandia!!  :wub:

CoL_Screen06.JPG

#12 Bacon Horsemeat

Bacon Horsemeat
  • Members
  • 4541 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

truly beautiful

#13 Oh Danny Boy

Oh Danny Boy
  • Members
  • 4378 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

I love Ubisoft.  Why the fook is this getting zero attention on here?

Anyway are those screen from next gen or current gen versions?  I'd like to see some beautiful whimsical 2D art pumped out on the next gen

#14 MDY

MDY
  • Members
  • 5704 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

I love Ubisoft.  Why the fook is this getting zero attention on here?

Anyway are those screen from next gen or current gen versions?  I'd like to see some beautiful whimsical 2D art pumped out on the next gen

Should look pretty much the same on any of it's targeted formats.. much like Rayman Legends which is 1080p/60fps on current gen..

#15 michael

michael
  • Members
  • 7820 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

I was at the Ubisoft event yesterday and was blown away by Child of Light. They had it running on PS4 though I see no reason why it couldn't look as beautiful on current gen systems. It plays really nicely, a kind of dreamlike platformer (in that it's slow and considered) that then flips to a turn-based Action RPG when fighting. It won't appeal to everyone, but I reckon it has everything required to become a classic. Who doesn't love a dark story tale told entirely in rhyming couplets?

#16 MW_Jimmy

MW_Jimmy
  • Supporters
  • 6742 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Who doesn't love a dark story tale told entirely in rhyming couplets?

SOLD!

I'm always really impressed with Ubisoft and how they are almost the model publisher - willing to take risks and having such a range of titles. Ancels UbiArt engine was always going to get used in some other ways.

As I've said in other places, it's such a strong 2D engine that I would dearly like Ubisoft to consider licensing it and letting independent teams try it out.

#17 cassidy

cassidy
  • Members
  • 14538 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

They've also named Grandia 2 as an influence. One of, if not my favourite JRPG. wonderful news. Day 1 for me.

#18 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28948 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Gameplay demo for Valiant Hearts:

#19 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28948 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

And one for Child of Light:

#20 davejm

davejm
  • Supporters
  • 5397 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Child of Light looks lovely!!

#21 David Kenny

David Kenny
  • Supporters
  • 2657 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

I've only looked at the stills for these two, as I don't want to spoil anything for myself, but just the stills look extremely intriguing. Here's hoping a Vita version of both is forthcoming.

#22 Hellcock

Hellcock
  • Supporters
  • 11686 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:17 AM

Both look excellent. Any word on release dates?

#23 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28948 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

#24 dood

dood
  • Supporters
  • 24382 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Putting jrpg mechanics in that game is just such a shame.

#25 MW_Jimmy

MW_Jimmy
  • Supporters
  • 6742 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

Child of Light is getting a physical-not-physical release!

jbquksTrUfDjpo.jpg

I would love a disc release, but this isn't a bad compromise. I hope more digital stuff follows this route. Oh and it's cross-buy on Sony platforms :)

#26 jonamok

jonamok
  • Members
  • 6743 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

New co-op trailer. Looks utterly phenomenal. Possibly the most beautiful game I have ever seen. Her hair is just wub!

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=BbQvx73H518

Edit: Don't know why it wont embed.

Edit 2: Ta, Moz.

#27 Moz

Moz
  • Supporters
  • 37279 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Here you go dude

#28 Takizawa

Takizawa
  • Supporters
  • 9598 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

The Child of Light Deluxe Edition is available for pre-order on Amazon, £15.99!

Linky

#29 LongHairStu

LongHairStu
  • Members
  • 2976 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

Oh my, these look wonderful. Colour me interested and a half  :wub:

#30 Vemsie

Vemsie
  • Supporters
  • 28948 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

A new 2D Prince of Persia is in development using Rayman Legends' UbiArt Framework engine, according to a report posted by French website Le Portail du Jeu Video.

The site claims to have been told that the game will use "the same techniques of animation [as used] in the last Rayman" and see the Prince's body "divided into several parts (torso, pelvis, leg, shin, foot, forearm, hands, etc..) that can be animated independently of each other. 

"This provides a real diversity / credibility in the postures and movements of the hero...," the site says. "The quality of the work is to believe [it is] 3D modelling [with] transitions [that are] are fluid and feel well made."

Ubisoft has yet to announce a new title in the Prince of Persia series, but it has begun using its UbiArt engine for projects besides Rayman. This month's platform-RPG Child of Light also uses UbiArt Framework, for example.

Ubisoft told VideoGamer.com that it "does not comment on rumours or speculation" when contacted about the report earlier today.

http://www.videogame...ine_report.html

Could be cool if true.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users