Videogame series you've fallen out of love with

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#91 Karzee

Karzee
  • Members
  • 8209 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Dead Space. I've just seen the latest footage of DS3 and it's lost so much of what I liked about the original that I'll not be buying it.

#92 Floshenbarnical

Floshenbarnical
  • Members
  • 4605 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Ah, Splinter Cell.

It was the first next-gen game I played, back when the Xbox was first released. I had a PS2 at the time and I went round my tutor's house (family friend) and I was blown away by the graphics and the scope of the stealth and interaction with the environment. It looked photorealistic to my eleven-year-old self, and I never got to play it again until I was 16 and got a 360. I product loaned the series and blazed through it. It was gorgeous. My MGS experience had trained me to avoid knocking out/ killing guards at all cost, and the whole time I was in absolute suspense. I must have taken a year off my life after all that adrenaline.

Double Agent (360 version) wasn't as good as I'd hoped. There were a couple of decent levels (the oil tanker) which were highly publicised but it just felt limited somehow. That, and the levels took ages to load.

Conviction was my favourite in the series, despite it being a complete departure from the previous games. It wasn't my favourite Splinter Cell but it was the one I enjoyed the most, mainly due to the story and the cinematics and the suspense it built. At the same time, I felt in my heart that Splinter Cell as a concept had died and that'd I'd never play another one after Conviction, despite how many were released.

#93 Matteo

Matteo
  • Members
  • 1187 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Soul Calibur after the first

Street Fighter after the second

king of fighters after 98

Guilty Gear after a while

And Shenmue 3 was not as good as the first 2.

#94 Wiper

Wiper
  • Committee Member
  • 14735 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Fallout.

The first two were masterpieces, filled with humour, pathos, intelligence and character.

The third was Oblivion. With guns.

New Vegas made a spirited attempt to return to the heights of 1 & 2, but just couldn't quite overcome the Gamebryo effect.

Ah well.

#95 Valver

Valver
  • Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Gran Turismo.

Loved the it on the PS1. Bought a PS2 specifically to play GT3. Thought that was great.

Then there were the shambolic delays and crappy Prologue editions on the way to 4, and then finally we get to GT5 on the PS3 - which I found sterile and massively dissapointing. The PSP version was utter toss - and again massively delayed.

I've simply lost the love for the series - it's been ecplised in almost everyway that I care about by Forza.

#96 Stigweard

Stigweard
  • Members
  • 6654 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Most of mine have been said in here already but the biggest for me is most certainly Halo

I was so pumped for Halo 3, the first one on the next gen console . I remember watching that trailer where MC stands on the cliff top, with the Banshees flying over his head and the awseome graphics (at the time) and music blasting out and I honestly couldn't wait for it. It gave me goosbumps wathing that trailer.
Whilst the SP was a bit meh I had a great time playing the campaign on XBL with 3 of my other friends and I played the MP loads and got hours of fun from it.

ODST I just found bland and wasn't arsed about and Reach I got a year after release and haven't played much of it at all.

No I'm not even bothered about Halo 4.

---------

COD is now the same. Loved all of Infinity Ward CODs but didn't like Treyarchs. Black Ops Was their first that i did enjoy (only the MP, I thought the SP was horrible) but MW3 I've hardly touched and really can't be arsed with it. Not even gonna bother with BO2.

#97 englishbob

englishbob
  • Members
  • 1086 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

"Gran Turismo" - cars cars everywhere (too many) not much racing to be had.And grinding, lots of grinding. Stubbon developer/designer who apparently "doesn't care" how times have changed, he is going to continue making the same "software" over and over again. Online might of saved it, had they stopped taking whatever drugs they are on and made it workable.Not checked in about a year, but I bet the leaderboards still do not exist.

"Mario" - overused character in just about every Nintendo release ever. I am sure he'll turn up in Grand Theft Auto at some point. Link also reaching saturation point.

#98 Matteo

Matteo
  • Members
  • 1187 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

"Mario" - overused character in just about every Nintendo release ever. I am sure he'll turn up in Grand Theft Auto at some point. Link also reaching saturation point.

Question is, have you fallen out of love with them? overuse doesent really make a series bad IMO. I never like Sonic to begin with, so I dont care how many sequels they make, cause the spark was never there.

Sometimes constant tinkering is worse. For example, SE constant tinkering with FF7 lore without actually making a true sequel.

#99 Scouser_In_Exile

Scouser_In_Exile
  • Members
  • 15472 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

"Gran Turismo" - cars cars everywhere (too many) not much racing to be had.And grinding, lots of grinding. Stubbon developer/designer who apparently "doesn't care" how times have changed, he is going to continue making the same "software" over and over again. Online might of saved it, had they stopped taking whatever drugs they are on and made it workable.Not checked in about a year, but I bet the leaderboards still do not exist.

Yup. I loved the first three GT games. I reckon I've probably played GT3 more than every other (non-GT) game put together. But GT4 just lacked something for me and GT5 just lacked everything. I walked through GT5 in what felt like a couple of days and none of the updates or add-ons have made me want to return to it. just disappointing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users