Videogame series you've fallen out of love with

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Super Craig

Super Craig
  • Members
  • 11905 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Minish Cap was *the* last 2D Zelda, good or otherwise.

Four Swords on DSiWare?

#62 DC07

DC07
  • Members
  • 7921 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

I've not fallen out of love with COD but I will not touch MW3. I've never come across a game that hates my connection as much as that fucker. There's no point in even trying to like it, I'm just a liability to team mates with my rubber bullets and arthritic limbs.

I still enjoy the earlier games, mainly because I'm allowed to, and I'll probably love the next one if it lets me.

#63 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 65276 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Minish Cap was *the* last 2D Zelda, good or otherwise.

Technically speaking maybe, but I consider Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks 2D Zelda games, even while they use a 3D engine, just like NSMB is a 2D Mario in a 3D engine.

#64 Sledge

Sledge
  • Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Assassin's Creed for me. Loved the first one, especially once you'd picked up a few skillz and could flit about, and it was genuinely exciting when you were being pursued. The second, though, never felt dangerous, the setting and characters didn't seem half as interesting and -- oho, what's this? -- I can buy a special edition but still not get the full game? Fine, Ubi, don't want to sell me a complete game, I'll just spend my money elsewhere.

Also, Resident Evil 4, which I've fallen out of love with since Capcom switched the positions of the two main buttons to be in line with Resi 5 rather than, y'know, the original GC & PS2 versions. I can't believe you're not all behind me on this one like a mob of angry cultist villagers.

#65 Pixelbark

Pixelbark
  • Members
  • 3876 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

International Superstar Soccer.

The moment it went all sim-like before turning into PES. I miss a good arcade footie game, a game where it's ok to have a score of 10-12 after 5 mins. :(

#66 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 65276 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Assassin's Creed for me. Loved the first one, especially once you'd picked up a few skillz and could flit about, and it was genuinely exciting when you were being pursued. The second, though, never felt dangerous, the setting and characters didn't seem half as interesting and -- oho, what's this? -- I can buy a special edition but still not get the full game? Fine, Ubi, don't want to sell me a complete game, I'll just spend my money elsewhere.

Seriously? I found the second game an incredible improvement over the first in pretty much every way. Although I've kind of fallen out of love with the series too, there's just too many of them with the yearly expansions/updates. Although AC III is looking good and looks a bit different so I'll give it a try. But I would be a lot more excited about it if there wouldn't have been a new AC game every holiday season for the last few years.

#67 smac

smac
  • Members
  • 6478 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

I wondered if he meant the ACII-Brotherhood-Revelations cycle; which is what I did following forum recommendations not to play the first. No idea about special editions.

I was kinda going through the motions by the end of the third of those. The first was a beautiful game of violent death from above. Or behind. Or below. Or occasionally in your face.

#68 Wools

Wools
  • Members
  • 1991 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

How much of this is just a function of age?

I think this should be in bold at the start of the thread, although some of the reasons are because the games are demonstrably worse and have different themes or play styles.

Resident Evil is the big Videogame series that has fallen so far from what it was, that it’s almost heat breaking for me.

The original was simply trying to replicate a zombie movie before zombie movies became something else. Inhabitants are in a realistic world, subjected to terrifying horror and have to survive in a closed environment in till they escape. The movie inspiration inspired closed camera angles that had the terrifying benefit that you could not see what was off screen, the new 32 bit generation had CD storage that allowed for an orchestral soundtrack and the new technology allowed for Capcom to play with the surroundings so windows could be smashed in this seemingly solid world.

As time progressed, the series got to a real high point with Resident Evil 2 which remains in my top 5 games ever made. Resident Evil 3 was an all-out action affair but in a unique twist, it was the concluding part of the series. The original showed the origin of the story, 2 expanded the environment but retained the slow pace and 3 completed the story with nonstop action and the destruction of Racoon City. Because the story was tied up with just some unanswered questions, The Resident Evil trilogy remains my favourite Videogame series as it’s self-contained and one of a kind.

The series has now entered a limbo for me as the original 3 are perfect in my eyes, not needing expanding or sequels, but as no other developer has beaten the perfect mix of ingredients that Capcom made, it’s left me hungry for something in the same style. After Resident Evil Re:Birth, it proved to me that there’s life in a truly scary game, a realistic world, quiet moments of solace, item management and scarce resources.

Dead Space has become the spiritual successor to Capcom’s greatest, but the outer space setting, although brilliant, does not retain the same inherent fear that long corridors and moon lit woods bring out in me. I hope another Developer someday nails it with the same style Capcom did back in 1996.

#69 superquake

superquake
  • Members
  • 1090 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

Final Fantasy. Got hooked on the PS1 versions to the point where I was losing my life to them... I felt empty for weeks when I finished FF7. Played FFX and it killed the series stone dead to me. The crap sport game thing, and grinding taken to a whole new level was enough. Never been tempted since then, although I did buy FFXIII for the PS3 for a fiver 'just in case' but it has sat on the shelf since I got it.

Tenchu. First one was brilliant, played it to death. Every version that followed got progressively worse. I just can't put my finger on how they continually got it so wrong.

#70 Fry Crayola

Fry Crayola
  • Members
  • 19365 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

They aren't. Unfortunately SI have chosen to purely add new 'back of the box' features rather than fixing issues that have existed for years (long-term AI team building being the most notable). Things like bland, illogical player 'interaction' and new graphics (despite the animations still being poor) are all we seem to get.

I can't disagree with any of your points, yet I'm still rather addicted. I fell out of love for quite a while, but FM2010 reignited that passion. More down to my becoming attached to the players and club I had built than anything particular the game does.

I could list problems I have with the game all day, but for some reason, I still play it, and shall continue to do so until Giza/Hoyvik provide the nucleous of a World Cup winning Faroese squad.

#71 joffocakes

joffocakes
  • Supporters
  • 10859 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, I feel exactly the same about Final Fantasy. Started on 7, loved it; borrowed a PS2 for X, and was bored to death by it. I actually went back after that to play 5 and 6, and loved them both, so I don't think it's even nostalgia talking.

Super Monkey Ball was probably the quickest downturn I remember, being so absolutely in love with the first Gamecube game. So, so poor after that. Except the revamped Monkey Target, obviously. Which should be a standalone XBLA game.

#72 Gizamaluke

Gizamaluke
  • Supporters
  • 4168 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Final Fantasy. Got hooked on the PS1 versions to the point where I was losing my life to them... I felt empty for weeks when I finished FF7. Played FFX and it killed the series stone dead to me. The crap sport game thing, and grinding taken to a whole new level was enough. Never been tempted since then, although I did buy FFXIII for the PS3 for a fiver 'just in case' but it has sat on the shelf since I got it.

The funny thing is it was arguably FFVII that had the biggest change on the direction of the series. Prior to that, the games had much more of a medieval feel, with dungeons based around castles and such. The PS1 games kept the overworld/town progress though and most importantly were still good games. I have no idea why Square dropped the ball so hard with X and XIII.

I still hold out hope that the series will go back to basics. I want knights, castles and mages damnitt! Look at how successful Game of Thrones has been. Surely the design bods must see this and how a game with that sort of tone would work within the FF franchise?

#73 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9138 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

I still hold out hope that the series will go back to basics. I want knights, castles and mages damnitt! Look at how successful Game of Thrones has been. Surely the design bods must see this and how a game with that sort of tone would work within the FF franchise?

Listen to the interview with the people behind Agni's Philosophy on Gametrailers.com, the name it seems has a dual meaning. The look of that game seems to be the direction Squaresoft want to take the series, a more grounded Western-friendly direction.

The cancelled Final Fantasy game that GRIN were working on, Fortress looked more like the sort of thing you want:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzdzYbEWOg

#74 dayte

dayte
  • Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Definitely Final Fantasy, either it's changed or I have, the emo storylines and characters just don't appeal anymore... that or they've made it more emo since I got out of my teens.

#75 Dudley

Dudley
  • Supporters
  • 16529 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Gran Turismo. Every subsequent iteration since if we're honest "1" has added more pointless shit, removed good features and utterly fucked the game progression into more and more shitty grind.

Didn't help that they delivered 3 Forza games between GT4 and 5, which while not without their faults are far better GAMES. Then of course GT5 turned out to have mostly cars warmed over from GT4 and REALLY looked it.

#76 Scratchy_Bollock

Scratchy_Bollock
  • Supporters
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Super Monkey Ball. The first was pretty much perfect, the sequels added some really pointless mechanics and ruined the simplicity of the original.

#77 GMass

GMass
  • Members
  • 2278 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

RPG's - I'm bored of talking to people and trudging around a map.

#78 Sledge

Sledge
  • Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Seriously? I found the second game an incredible improvement over the first in pretty much every way.

I think most people did (so it's hard to say, objectively, that they made a misstep because they've obviously understood what the majority of gamers either wanted or were prepared to tolerate) but the original struck a chord with me that none the sequels managed to maintain, and having tweaked the nose of MegaPope I think I probably gave it a fair shot.

#79 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

And now i see the Fable series is to continue as a Kinect style on rails shooter its a shame of how a series which started with so much promise and potential has ended up the way it is.

Aye, this is relevant to that.

http://www.rockpaper...-little-secret/

Did you know that nearly every multiplatform game demoed at E3 – especially during press conferences – is running on PC?

It is, to be perfectly honest, fairly, well, dishonest.

What do Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light, Battlefield 3, Crysis 3, The Elder Scrolls, Dust 514, Hitman: Absolution, Max Payne 3, Call of Duty, and a billion or so other heavy hitters have in common? They all got their start on PC. Moreover, many of them – Far Cry, Metro, and The Elder Scrolls, especially – initially fell into the “ambitious to the point of jankiness, yet lovable for that precise reason” category.
It’s interesting, then – if not always encouraging – to watch how these franchises get molded by “wider audiences” and, in turn, shape those players’ tastes. Skyrim, for instance, was (in some cases, unforgivably) glitchy, but many of those lumpy clumps of code ended up endearing Bethesda’s opus to players even more. The notorious basket glitch and giants’ penchant for sending slain foes into geosynchronous orbit spawned countless YouTube videos. One might accuse The Elder Scrolls’ lore of lacking personality, but its world has it in spades – warts and all.
Less encouragingly, Metro’s flawed-yet-fascinating bullet economy is getting polished right out of existence in the name of faster action, and I worry that much of its trademark quirkiness won’t survive the harried tunnel flight to accessibility land. Far Cry 3, meanwhile, remains ambitious, but more from a conceptual standpoint than a structural one. So these things run quite a gamut. To write it all off as “dumbing down” PC games, however, would be a knee-jerk blanket statement that doesn’t even begin to try and really understand the situation. The scenes are mixing, and game design’s evolving in new directions as a result.

You just have to dig for the new interesting stuff, the reassuring thing is that it'll always be there even if the big budget tried and tested tripe disappears.

My prescription for gaming fatigue is always to fire up your pc, pick a handful of indi games at random and wonder what the fuck you were moaning about :D

#80 Boozy The Clown

Boozy The Clown
  • Members
  • 12630 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

PC gaming - I used to love a bit of the old PC gaming but nowadays with so many wankbags going on and on about how amazing it is, it really puts you off. Especially the ones who call themselves "real gamers" because they'd rather play some obscure games made by some hipster indie kids rather than the dumbed down console kiddy centric big budget mega corp games of today. It's such a pretentious stance and whilst this attitude has snowballed in recent years due to the lengthy console life too many PC gamers spend far too much time fucking going on and fucking on about how fucking great their wonderboxes are to the point where it makes me want to punch them repeatedly in their fat fucking faces.

Posted Image

#81 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

Sorry, I meant Xbox live arcade :D
No, boozy, I hate that attitude. I like cod, I also like (random obscure pc only indie game) a valley without wind, I'm not a sheep and I'm not a try hard hipster. I just like good games. I'm assuming you do too :D
I like it when games get streamlined and simplified and perfected, I dislike it when games get dumbed down and genericified and sucked of soul.
If you assume that all pc gamers are snobby elitist twats, then you'll have to forgive me for being primarily a pc gamer as that is my viewpoint and I can't change the way you think.

Oh, and just for balance, here's rab florence convincing RPS readers that dark souls "doesn’t feel like a console game"

Don’t worry about that. Within its dark halls and its vast caverns, there is the ambition and experimentation of the very best PC games. I love it. I love it so dearly that only poetry can properly express that love.

New school journalism, yeah? :D Boozy? Yeah?

"Cinematic" is a dirty word to me, I much prefer games like red faction guerrilla that give you the free reign and the tools to make your own memorable moments and just let you go at it. I hate it when a game tries to say something or make a point, though I love portal 2 and how it's game and story were expertly interwoven. Max payne 3, stop start, amateur film hour? fuck that. People pining for more deus ex style, pondering the big question, vidya games is art stuff? Fuck that! Alan wake, david lynch/stephen king fan fiction, all froth and no game wankery? Fuck that!

Bedroom games that just shit it all out together by accident, manic miner and the binding of isaac, aye, more of that. Dumb skill based shooters like wrack or the haunted hells reach and serious sam, aye, that's my bag. Don't jump to conclusions based on what platform people prefer. I hate RTS for example :D Mega lo mania and populous 2 on the amiga were the only RTS that got me going. I much prefer simple turn based stuff like advanced wars and greed corp.

It'd be like me assuming you were a moron who could only manage driving games ;)

#82 Jarik

Jarik
  • Members
  • 4583 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Metal Gear for me. I love the core mechanics of the sneaking but they've just become increasingly buried under the story. Story is nice in a game when it's like frosting on a cake, but a cake that consists entirely of frosting is just going to make you sick.

#83 clippa

clippa
  • Members
  • 4360 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Aye, the story in games is welcome when it's done well but the problem is, it's never, ever done well. It's like watching the worst low budget film you can imagine. Even rockstar, who are arguably among the best at injecting their games with meaningful story. The characters are always as 2d and as flimsy as every other game and the dialogue is often painful. If I want to watch a shite film or read a terrible book, I do just that. If I want to kick the tits off aliens, I play a game.
It'll all come together one day but it'll be a one off fluke.
Valve are very good at it, but still, I'm not sure it's a goal you want to be striving for.

I think portal 2 is the best I've seen, a none intrusive story that complemented the game and just worked.

I can't believe rockstar are still doing cut scenes, none skippable cutscenes at that. Obtrusive, game killing cutscenes at that. They could be better than that.

#84 deKay

deKay
  • Supporters
  • 34199 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Four Swords on DSiWare?

Not a proper Zelda game.

Technically speaking maybe, but I consider Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks 2D Zelda games, even while they use a 3D engine, just like NSMB is a 2D Mario in a 3D engine.

But they don't play like 2D Zelda games. You have to use the fucking stylus.

Definitely Final Fantasy, either it's changed or I have, the emo storylines and characters just don't appeal anymore... that or they've made it more emo since I got out of my teens.

I gave up after VI. They stopped being RPGs to me then.

#85 sandman

sandman
  • Members
  • 6552 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

RESIDENT EVIL for me.

The first was a revelation to me. I dont think I have ever anticipated a game more than that one. The screenshots looked amazing and when it turned out, biy did it not dissapoint. Even the cheesy script and acting added to the charm. One of my favourite games of all time.

Then the sequel hit. Now, I'm going against the grain here, but I didnt like it. It felt familiar, far too short and with nowhere near the charm the first game had. By the time Nemesis came out I didnt have a Playstation, so it was Code Veronica next for me. This was more like it, daft story, superb graphics and a real return to form. Eventually I did pick up Nemesis and I thought it was very average.

Then 4 came along. Its a great game, but far too overhyped by the internet. I wanted zombies, not eastern europeans. The plot was a bit too daft even for me and it didnt flow as well as the original.

Then 5 hit and it was awful, just a truly boring video game with a terrible plot and even worse gameplay. I think I have now lost all interest in the series and dont give a monkeys about 6.

#86 Asura

Asura
  • Members
  • 19777 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Resident Evil is the big Videogame series that has fallen so far from what it was, that it’s almost heat breaking for me.

The original was simply trying to replicate a zombie movie before zombie movies became something else. Inhabitants are in a realistic world, subjected to terrifying horror and have to survive in a closed environment in till they escape. The movie inspiration inspired closed camera angles that had the terrifying benefit that you could not see what was off screen, the new 32 bit generation had CD storage that allowed for an orchestral soundtrack and the new technology allowed for Capcom to play with the surroundings so windows could be smashed in this seemingly solid world.

As time progressed, the series got to a real high point with Resident Evil 2 which remains in my top 5 games ever made. Resident Evil 3 was an all-out action affair but in a unique twist, it was the concluding part of the series. The original showed the origin of the story, 2 expanded the environment but retained the slow pace and 3 completed the story with nonstop action and the destruction of Racoon City. Because the story was tied up with just some unanswered questions, The Resident Evil trilogy remains my favourite Videogame series as it’s self-contained and one of a kind.

The series has now entered a limbo for me as the original 3 are perfect in my eyes, not needing expanding or sequels, but as no other developer has beaten the perfect mix of ingredients that Capcom made, it’s left me hungry for something in the same style. After Resident Evil Re:Birth, it proved to me that there’s life in a truly scary game, a realistic world, quiet moments of solace, item management and scarce resources.

Y'see, I don't get this. You played Resident Evil, you thought it was great, you played 2 and 3, you loved them, wonderful. They're finite experiences and are done, finished, just as much as they are still there - you can play them now if you so wish.

I freaking loved Resident Evil 4. It was one of my favourite games ever. Given, it was a huge departure from RE123 but I didn't care, because I'd played those. RE4 was taking a character I liked somewhere new and different and I really enjoyed that.

I never understand this idea about people getting angry (admittedly you were disappointed, rather than angry) when a developer takes a series and does something different with it. Much better that than doing the same thing over and over, especially if the original concept can't really be improved without significantly changing what it was.

This is getting away a bit from that quote, because I guess I'm talking about entitled nerd-rage, which isn't really happening here. I'm not saying it always turns out well, either. What I am saying is that I never get offended by the process, even if the final game is shit and/or bears no relation to the original (look at Syndicate for an example; I loved the original and Syndicate Wars but I've already played them to death! I don't want the same game again!!).

For example, recently, I was very disappointed with Soul Calibur V, but I just sold it on and I'll not bother with the series again unless they re-invent it. I'm not angry or disappointed with Namco for doing it. Soul Calibur belongs to them; they can do whatever they want, and if it does well, fair play to them. I'll check out Dead or Alive. Soul Calibur 1 and 2 are still there, if I ever fancy playing them again (which I probably won't, because I've played the shit out of them).

Otherwise you end up with something like the Sonic The Hedgehog series, where the developers keep thrashing it like the proverbial whipping boy after the reasons for it coming into being have long since become irrelevant (Sonic Generations was something of a fluke in my eyes).

#87 Wools

Wools
  • Members
  • 1991 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

It’s a difficult argument as Capcom have made a set of 3 brilliant games and wrapped the story up in a neat way with the destruction of the city. This allows you to go back and enjoy the series as it’s self-contained but Capcom have gone on with the series regardless, making spin offs, sequels and in the case of Resident Evil 4, one of the best action games ever made. Not only that, but they’ve revisited the trilogy by remaking the original and it shows off what they can do with modern technology and twisting what you knew.

Resident Evil 4 showed the world the blue print of a modern action game but removed every little touch that made the series special. After such a barnstorming reinvention, they dropped the ball with 5 and 6 looks like it could be going the same way. All the spin offs have never been strong and they’ve added needless additions to the plot, characters and re-imagined the motives to the original. During this time, Capcom remade the original and showed just how special and unique the original formula is, making me wonder if a modern take on Resident Evil could be just as brilliant and successful.

As you say, I’m not angry at all, I’m not precious over the series and don’t think the endless sequels and spin offs harm the original set of games. But I’m disappointed how Capcom have moved away from the originals atmosphere and not one other developer has gone back to look to see if there’s some potential in that formula.

Dead Space is wonderful but not as haunting, Resident Evil 4 is stunning but not in the same vein and Amnesia is terrifying but lacking that certain lonely but action led atmosphere. It would be glorious if Naughty Dog, whose Uncharted games have been nothing but fun joy rides through action packed set pieces, successfully recapture that desolate, scant ammunition, survival horror world in The Last of Us.

PS. I did not neg you, just to be clear!

#88 Broker

Broker
  • Members
  • 13111 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Four Swords on DSiWare?

It's just Four Swords, which was an extra with LttP GBA, the game before Minish Cap. I guess Four Swords Adventures for the GC might have come out after Minish Cap?

#89 BrerLappin

BrerLappin
  • Members
  • 6646 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

Chalk me up as another one fallen out of love with MGS.
I played MGS1 on release on the PS1, and loved it. It was fantastic at the time, great gameplay, really cool bosses, and an intriguing story that was batty, but grounded in just enough reality to keep it from being ridiculous.
MGS2 i mustve finished about 4 or 5 times, but looking back on it now, i think i was trying to convince myself i loved it. I didnt like Raiden, hated the constant interruptions from Rose, the story made ZERO sense at all, and the bosses were all fairly weak, certainly no battles to compare with Sniper Wolf or Vulcan Raven.
MGS3 ive still never finished. And i know everyone harps on about the story being amazing and the bit with The Boss being all wah a bloo bloo upsetting, but seriously, the gameplay was just bad. The catching and eating animals added nothing expect another layer of fiddlyness, the changing camo was yet another distraction that added nothing except having to navigate more screens, CQC was a nice idea that i dont think i ever even used in all the time i played them game...the 10 minute ladder sequence, the list goes on.
MGS4 was the nail in the coffin. Hour long cutscenes, and an almost 2 hour long ending. I can barely remember anything about the game now that i think about it, other than that. The series disappeared up its own arse when Kojima thought he was a hollywood director, im sorry man, but your cutscenes are so OTT theyre pretty much high camp and your stories make less sense than a dribbling wino

#90 Nick R

Nick R
  • Members
  • 7659 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yeah, gotta agree with Splinter Cell. The first 3 games were great tactical stealth games. Double Agent was decent-ish, but not as good as what had come before.

I haven't played any version of Double Agent, but I've seen people post here that the Xbox/PS2/GC version was far better than the 360/PC/PS3 version - even up there with Chaos Theory. The previous-gen one was developed by Ubisoft Montreal (who did the original and CT) and the latter was by Shanghai (who did Pandora Tomorrow).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users