PS3 Horror 360

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Soulstar

Soulstar
  • Members
  • 2485 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

I couldn't seem to find a thread anywhere for this even via google and was interested to start a bit of a discussion on it as I know little about it and have just started playing last night.

Initial responses aren't exactly overwhelming and i'm guessing it gets better because the 7 out of 10 rating I had seen it get given just feels a lot higher than i'd have expected so far. Now i'm playing the PS3 version and from what I have read before, I think this is different from the other but I don't know if that means just features and extras or the whole game itself.

The contols are the biggest problem I have with the game so far as they just feel unbelievable awful on top of a dodgy follow cam which sometimes ends up all over the place. The music very reminiscent of Obscure at times with some of the orchestral pieces and definitely the choir. It looks alright ish, but feels more action than horror at the moment. I think the layout being in a building where every turn the room gets ripped apart just makes the controls feel even harder to work with.

I would like to know what others thought of this anyway. The only previous AITD game I have played before was the previous New Nightmare, which I regarded as a pretty decent game despite a worse score than this title. I think there's something about those static camera angles which I really like and the dodgy hard to get used to controls in classic RE style gaming which adds to the whole suspense. This edition just feels a bit messy so far, but i'm only about an hour into it or so having fought the first woman recently. It feels like im mimmicking the whole waggle just using the analogue stick to attack when you swing things. I think this is just one of those things to get used to.

#2 Gabe

Gabe
  • Members
  • 10211 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

I don't really remember too much about it, but those 7/10 scores are awfully generous. The camera was always a pain, there were some terrible insta-kill moments, there's a really frustrating driving section and the section in the park drags.

The original thread is here: http://www.rllmukfor...4675__hl__+aitd

#3 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 26674 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

I really enjoyed New nightmare, although can barely remember it.

The new one wasnt great, i found a lot of it enjoyable but i hate huge fetch quests in games which is when i gave up on this. shame, as i was probably 80% through it.

#4 JoeK

JoeK
  • Members
  • 10064 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Loved the idea of it, but the controls (at least on the 360 version) were absolutely terrible, and made the game pretty much unplayable for me!

Did like the idea of the DVD chapter thing - every time you restarted you got a 'previously...' thing going on. That was good.

#5 Soulstar

Soulstar
  • Members
  • 2485 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

I do find it odd that they allow you to view every scene and even play all the levels right from the start. I was another who liked AITD 4 despite noticing how some didn't. I think it was you Red who pointed out you liked that game in the proper 360 thread and then someone else seemed surprised to heard good things about it shortly afterwards.

From what I have been gathering so far, it seems that there may be somewhat of a good game in here but let down by bad controls and camera angles with some rough edges in places visually. I don't think it helps that I have just spent the last 5 weeks or so playing Assassins Creed 2 which has very different control mechanics where as in this game, the movement is too sensitive.

I've often read how people tend to dislike those tutorials that walk you through a game at the beginning, and up until now I haven't really had any problems with this but now it seems to get in the way and spoil the atmosphere a little. I suppose without them though it would be even more of a nightmare.

#6 Soulstar

Soulstar
  • Members
  • 2485 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Seriously I can't stand this game. It's down to the above mentioned though rather than the game itself. I've got the torch and I can barely see anything except when in first person mode. Problem is though that I can't swing the fire extinguisher when I'm in that mode.

The camera is.soooooo hard to control in first person too. I see some shifty creatures appear and the screen is just all over the place in darkness with flashes of light from my beam going everywhere.

I might just sell it and get rid from my collection as I doesn't deserve to be on the shelf. It's like phoenix games have been in charge of the controls.

#7 APM

APM
  • Members
  • 28990 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

I played the 360 version through to completion. It has got problems in the control dept, but I played about 90% of it in first person view, only switching to third person when I absolutely had to. There's some interesting ideas in there and I think a sequel would have ironed them out but I'm not sure if that's ever gonna happen now. I also wished they had patched some of the changes into the 360 version from the PS3 version as well, but alas, they never did.

There was something about it I did like though. I think it was the atmosphere that drove it forward, and at the time, it looked quite the part. Driving around a ruined Central Park was pretty fun.

#8 K

K
  • Members
  • 21378 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

I do find it odd that they allow you to view every scene and even play all the levels right from the start.

I wouldn’t say that was odd – all games should do this. I hate having to plough through one terrible novelty level so that I can get back to a game I was otherwise enjoying.

#9 Soulstar

Soulstar
  • Members
  • 2485 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I do I find it adds to the challenge and motivation to try and finish it in order, depends on the game as well, but for this sort of thing I wouldn't want to be skipping things although I can sort of see what you mean if say you managed to get completely stuck. An example of that is the drivng section, having to go over it again and again from the start if you make one mistake.

I've persevered a bit more with it anyway and did get a little further than the boss you encounter made of all those flying bats with many teeth. Actually, thinking about it I got just past those big demon people that are in that building you go to like a museum or something. I find it to be a bit fiddly though to get things working. It does make you think more but there's still just something I don't like about it. I've since been distracted with Need for Speed Carbon, but will be back on it soon as I know it isn't too long of a game anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS3, Horror, 360

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users