Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheeko

Could a new console steal the next gen without big budget titles?

12 posts in this topic

After reading the E3 threads I am left with no real interest in what has been presented by the three big hitters.

For me these days it's games like Fez, Minecraft, Trials Evo, Limbo, Double Fine's output, DayZ, Dear Esther that interest me, but am I kidding myself that these games can make enough money to support a platform without riding the coat tails of the AAA infrastructure?

Xbox and Playstation are so far down a road of big budgets that even though they do deliver these great indie games they're side lined by social networking and media systems trying to bring mass market appeal.

I think Nintendo had a great idea with the Wii by making a lower spec, cheaper machine, but they're such a closed market they focus on their own IP and back catalogue.

So do we have a new opening in the market for a console that provides a dedicated Xbox Live / PSN style experience with a channel for more experimental titles like the Xbox Indie gaming but one that actually makes these games the focus and gives them better exposure?

It doesn't have to be a new player either, Steam and Apple I think are both excellently placed to step in on these, Apple's recent purchase of Leowe seems to suggest they're bringing the App store to our living room TVs.

[quote name='Cheeko' timestamp='1338881745' post='8645851']
I think Nintendo had a great idea with the Wii by making a lower spec, cheaper machine, but they're such a closed market they focus on their own IP and back catalogue.
[/quote]
I think part of what you want [i]could[/i] be done by Nintendo, IF they loosen their grip on the WiiWare market. Developers have complained a lot this gen that not only are Nintendo's terms highly unfavourable, but their contracts also prohibit them discussing it in the press or with other developers. There was a big bust-up earlier this year when a developer released their sales figures, and Nintendo came down upon them like a ton of bricks.

What we DO know from hearsay is that Nintendo don't work well with Western developers (though I think that's an ever-present rumour without much direct proof) and that for WiiWare, Nintendo didn't work like the AppStore - they negotiate a "breaking point" in number of sales with each developer, and the developer doesn't earn a single penny until they reach that breaking point - then Nintendo skim off the top once they do start making money - and it's very hard to get them to change the price of your title once it's up.

Basically they're a nightmare to work with, which is why fewer developers put up with it compared to XBLA, Indie Games, PSN etc.

So it couldn't be done with Nintendo. I don't know why you picked the worst download service as the potential where this could be done. The best examples of this are from XBLA and show its entirely possible to have very successful software that isn't AAA in production or development cost. Whether new hardware can be launched to entirely rely on this would depend on the cost of the hardware and I would think it very unlikely as the initial layout for hardware almost demands AAA product to justify the expense. A very low cost, download only 360 might be able to do it.

This is a chicken and egg question, isnt it? Yes, a in theory a new console could get itself into the #1 position with a load of extremely good and extremely interesting downloadable and indie games however, once it gets into that #1 installed base position then you can bet your bottom dollar that the big boys will make [i]Grand Theft Auto[/i] and [i]Call of Duty[/i] games for it.

See also the iPad - now featuring GTA, Virtua Tennis, Need For Speed etc.
But just because they're there doesn't preclude the likes of new star soccer doing well if the author is lucky enough.

If Apple ever made a TV or under-TV box that could play iOS games that'd generally be massively successful with only the fare that's on there. Market disruption from below and all that.

[quote name='Cheeko' timestamp='1338881745' post='8645851']It doesn't have to be a new player either, Steam and Apple I think are both excellently placed to step in on these, [b]Apple's recent purchase of Leowe[/b] seems to suggest they're bringing the App store to our living room TVs.[/quote]

Proof?, Loewe denied the rumours a few weeks back, I googled nothing.

The iTV rumours have been going on for ages, a patent exists for the bloody thing, but it doesn't play games according to the patent, and how many people buy Loewe TVs, let alone Apple priced Loewe-manufactured TVs. If Apple make a TV and sell it at Apple margins, I will be super amazed if they have a monster hit, nobody but Samsung are making anything from building TVs at the moment, and even they had a wobble recently.

As to your posited idea, depends what you mean, what is the crossover between the CoD/FIFA audience and what Apple or Valve could bring to the game? not much imo.

If you mean absolute numbers, eh, still not game,set & match to the low cost games set,

[quote name='tssk' timestamp='1338882571' post='8645859']
Facebook and mobile games are already proving this.

How many blockbuster AAA titles sell as well as Angry Birds?
[/quote]

Most of them. The total proceedings from ALL mobile gaming in Q4 last year were about 60% of what MW3 alone made in week 1.

The entire "social" sector for Q4 was half as big as even mobile, so considerably less than 1/3rd of MW3's week 1 revenue.

Incidentally if Minecraft XBLA really has sold 2million copies and we assume all at full price, then its revenue to that point is about 1/3rd of MW3 in week 1.

There are questions to be answered of course. That 2million copies is obviously a considerably higher proportion of MW3's "Transactions" for want of a better word for instance.

MineCraft is the biggest selling game ever on XBLA, the CoD map packs have out sold it for reference, that is the situation as it currently exists, 1.5 Million people are big enough mugs to pay Activision for CoD Elite too.

[quote name='mushashi' timestamp='1338909731' post='8646746']
MineCraft is the biggest selling game ever on XBLA, the CoD map packs have out sold it for reference, that is the situation as it currently exists, 1.5 Million people are big enough mugs to pay Activision for CoD Elite too.
[/quote]

I didn't realise that, that only adds to the revenue from MW3. How many packs and how much each by the way?

I think your major problem launching a console without the big pubs is still that you'll never make the R+D back. You take 30% of Minecraft's revenue and after retailer discounting of points etc that game's worth £10m to you, it doesn't pay for that much and Minecraft is on the very,very edge of still being able to be called indie.

And bear in mind my figures were all UK only EXCEPT Minecraft. MW3's world sales went well past $1billion before xmas, let alone after another 6 months of support and DLC.

It works for Apple (kinda, although as I pointed out they're sharing £50m a quarter in that market) because the R+D costs of an iPhone don't need to be paid for by games. Not only is the hardware profitable anyway, it's not the core market for the device.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• I need an iOS Beta tester
      By carleton
      Hi,

I develop iOS apps and my daughter and I have been working on one which is ready for a bit of testing. I was hoping somebody on here could help, I got some good feedback for Instant Hero this way.

There is a catch though; the app involves wandering about in the real world looking for clues to solve. It's based in Newcastle city centre and would take somebody about 2 hours to complete. 

I'm working on another app which is less physically demanding but it's not quite ready for QA yet but if you're interested in helping with either please let me know.
    • Boundless - Minecraft x Shadow of the Colossus
      By Bojangle
      A lovely looking trailer for this was shown at the Sony Paris Games Conference and whilst your first thought may be "Blergh, another Minecraft clone?" upon further reading it would appear to be offering much more than that.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90DRrYZp37c[/media]

• The PlayStation 4 Thread - struggling with power options?
      By mushashi
      Sony announced the official release dates for the PS4 in NA/Europe and South America at Gamescom:

29th November, 2013 in Europe including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

*edit by Graham_S 21st Nov 2013, I am quoting Moz's friends list post here, by request*

Launch Window (Launch to 31st Dec 2013) games lineup - 15 Retail games and 18 Download-Only games:

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag (Blu-ray/digital)
          Basement Crawl (digital)
          Battlefield 4 (Blu-ray/digital)
          Blacklight (digital)
          Call of Duty: Ghosts (Blu-ray/digital)
          Contrast (digital)
          DC Universe Online (digital)
          Doki-Doki Universe (digital)
          #DriveClub (Blu-ray/digital)
          FIFA 14 (Blu-ray/digital)
          Flower (digital)
          Hohokum (digital)
          Just Dance 2014 (Blu-ray/digital)
          Killzone: Shadow Fall (Blu-ray/digital)
          Knack (Blu-ray/digital)
          Lego Marvel Superheroes (Blu-ray/digital)
          Madden NFL 25 (Blu-ray/digital)
          Minecraft (digital)
          N++ (digital)
          NBA Live (Blu-ray/digital)
          NBA 2K14 (Blu-ray/digital)
          Need for Speed: Rivals (Blu-ray/digital)
          Pinball Arcade (digital)
          Planetside 2 (digital)
          Pool Nation Extreme (digital)
          ResoGun (digital)
          Skylanders: Swap Force (Blu-ray/digital)
          Super Motherload (digital)
          The Playroom (preinstalled)
          Tiny Brains (digital)
          Warframe (digital)
          War Thunder (digital)
          Watch_Dogs (Blu-ray/digital)

Update courtesy of verbs:

Sony unveiled the first hardware specifications of its PlayStation 4 today, promising "supercharged PC architecture," an X86 processor and 8GB of GDDR5 unified system memory WTF. It's coming "holiday 2013."

The Controller!

PS4 Controller Issues FAQ

Touchpad, Options and Share buttons, headphone jack, speaker, better triggers/sticks.

Cool Shit!

Suspend/Resume - Stop your game and put the PS4 into a low power state, pick up immediately where you left off when you come back.
      Share - Post screenshots and video from your play sessions. It looked like you could wind back through your last ten minutes of gameplay, edit/trim it down and upload it. They did this onstage with Killzone: Shadow Fall.
      Video Streaming - Stream your game out live to other users on the PS4 or ustream. People watching can give you tips like "Dude Look Out!" and even take control of your game temporarily to get you past a tough section.
      Gakai Being Fast - The plan is to be able to select a demo and instantly begin streaming it. You'll also be able to start playing games while they download.

The Games!

Killzone: Shadow Fall:
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xWKgGdTyQZc[/media]

Driveclub:
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7hm6wUC0I[/media]

inFAMOUS: Second Son:
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFZm8t5HOeE[/media]

The Witness:
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brd0F7rlXCI[/media]

Deep Down (working title, set in the Dragon's Dogma universe):
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9UmHm9HA3c[/media]

Watch Dogs:
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6LZM3_wp2ps[/media]

Tech Demos!

Media Molecule
      Quantic Dream's Old Man Face
      Havok Physics Thing

Other Bits!
        Also PlaystationEU's twitter are pretty sure backwards compatibility is coming via their cloud service and not at all qualifying it in "eventually"s like Dave Perry did onstage.

Controller stuff from Morrius / Moz:

Has this stuff been posted yet? I can't see it. If it has, instead of negging me, just tell me and I'll remove the post.

Some dashboard stuff from Moz:

#

Love it.

One thing I noticed, it appears to show a user streaming picture-in-picture, showing their gameplay AND their face via the new camera at the same time. Don't think they've mentioned that yet :)

Is it wrong that I'm most excited about hearing the startup sound for the first time?!

It looks quite a lot like big picture mode too.

Original post, rumoured specs etc:

[spoiler]
      Sony have announced an event on the 20th February 2013, with this headline:

See the Future, Be the first to know.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d-3GMHIgR-U[/media]

http://blog.us.plays...see-the-future/

VGleaks have put up final specs for the next Sony home console, currently codenamed Orbis, the details are similar to earlier reports from other sources:

LIVERPOOL SoC

* Custom implementation of AMD Fusion APU Arquitecture (Accelerated Processing Unit)
      * Provides good performance with low power consumtion
      * Integrated CPU and GPU
      * Considerably bigger and more powerful than AMDs other APUs

CPU:

* Orbis contains eight Jaguar cores at 1.6 Ghz, arranged as two clusters
      * Each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache
      * 256-bit SIMD operations, 128-bit SIMD ALU
      * SSE up to SSE4, as well as Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
      * One hardware thread per core
      * Decodes, executes and retires at up to two intructions/cycle
      * Out of order execution
      * Per-core dedicated L1-I and L1-D cache (32Kb each)
      * Two pipes per core yield 12,8 GFlops performance
      * 102.4 GFlops for system

GPU:

* GPU is based on AMDs R10XX (Southern Islands) architecture
      * DirectX 11.1+ feature set
      * Liverpool is an enhanced version of the architecture
      * 18 Compute Units (CUs)
      * Hardware balanced at 14 CUs
      * Shared 512 KB of read/write L2 cache
      * 800 Mhz
      * 1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s
      * Dual shader engines
      * 18 texture units
      * 8 Render backends

Detailed GPU Specs:

Each CU contains dedicated:
      - ALU (32 64-bit operations per cycle)
      - Texture Unit
      - L1 data cache
      - Local data share (LDS)
      About 14 + 4 balance:
      - 4 additional CUs (410 Gflops) extra ALU as resource for compute
      - Minor boost if used for rendering
      Dual Shader Engines:
      - 1.6 billion triangles/s, 1.6 billion vertices/s
      18 Texture units
      - 56 billion bilinear texture reads/s
      - Can utilize full memory bandwith
      8 Render backends:
      - 32 color ops/cycle
      - 128 depth ops/cycle
      - Can utilize full memory bandwith

Memory:

* 4 GB unified system memory, 176 GB/s
      * 3.5 available to games (estimate)

Storage:

- High speed Blu-ray drive

* single layer (25 GB) or dual layer (50 GB) discs
      * Partial constant angular velocity (PCAV)
      * Outer half of disc 6x (27 MB/s)
      * Inner half varies, 3.3x to 6x

- Internal mass storage

* One SKU at launch: 500 GB HDD
      * There may also be a Flash drive SKU in the future

Networking:

* 1 Gb/s Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n WIFI, and Bluetooth

Peripherals:

* Evolved Dualshock controller
      * Dual Camera
      * Move controller

Extra:

* Audio Processor (ACP)
      * Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
      * Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
      * Zlib Decompression Hardware

http://www.vgleaks.c...orbis-unveiled/

http://www.eurogamer...ext-gen-console

[/spoiler]
    • The PlusCast, Oct 15, Xeodrifter, Super Time Force and Sony bashing
      By superstarbeejay
      [attachment=52063:PlusCast.jpg]

The PlusCast is a monthly podcast by rllmuk members talking about the Instant Games Collection provided by Sony as part of their PSPlus subscription service.

Every month, we talk about the games that have been available in the previous month and the games available next month on the service. Listen in to hear about the games that we have been playing and to hear about what lies ahead for you next month.

The PlusCast, Oct 15, Xeodrifter, Super Time Force and Sony bashing

Hipcast links:

RSS:  http://barry.hipcast.com/rss/pluscast.xml

Subscribe on Itunes too.

Thanks to MW Jimmy and Bradigor for his contribution again this month.

Dropbox link to previous PlusCast episodes not on the RSS:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fxbzkwj6qiilon6/AAAkRn-JA8TOdG7X_Pxb9IPta

Follow us on twitter:

@PsPlusCast   and facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/pluscast  
    • Nintendo Mobile
      By RubberJohnny
      Because the announcement thread is unfortunately called RIP Nintendo

Nintendos first mobile game is being announced soon

The guy heading it up is the guy who did Mario Kart, so people are maybe expecting F-Zero, but also Miyamoto mentioned Pikmin 4 being nearly finished but didn't mention the platform, and it's not like much is coming to Wii U at this point and NX isn't ready, so...

Or it could be something completely different and new - speculation!