Photo

E3 - Microsoft Conference Thread (June 4th)

360 XBLA Kinect PC

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#1201 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 65007 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

but here's me not wanting to spend extra on a smart tv - because I've got the boxes that do that already.

In a few years it'll be default functionality though. My sub-1000 quid (and that was a year ago) 46" Sammy does 3D and has the whole SmartTV shenanigans on board, and I only bought it because of the picture quality and high refresh rate. It'll be the same as with DVD or BluRay players; try buying a player that can't play MP3/WMA/DivX/etc.etc., even the models you buy for a tenner at Tesco's have it.

#1202 Dudley

Dudley
  • Supporters
  • 16137 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Yeah a mate of mine went out to get the cheapest TV he could find just to stick beside his bed to fall asleep to and even THAT will play off usb.

#1203 hub2

hub2
  • Members
  • 14197 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

But it's already too late for the media centre 'box' as all that functionality is now being built directly into the tv itself. Just look at the smart tv offerings from the likes of sammy and Panasonic some of which even have voice and gesture input. You also don't need a gold sub to get the functionality to work!

Hence why they are bringing the Xbox 'brand' to other areas as well, such as PC's, WP7, and tablets. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Windows or Xbox branded TV in a few years especially if Apple make a TV and Google continue with Google TV.

#1204 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15217 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

Hence why they are bringing the Xbox 'brand' to other areas as well, such as PC's, WP7, and tablets. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Windows or Xbox branded TV in a few years especially if Apple make a TV and Google continue with Google TV.

Exactly - a Smart TV without any content is a useless box.

#1205 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31367 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

I think an 'Xbox tv' is a given...

And then games died

#1206 Wahwah*

Wahwah*
  • Supporters
  • 23833 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

I can't see it.

I can see "with Xbox" maybe, where it's a service you sign up for (perhaps comparable to a cable contract) but not an "Xbox TV". Perhaps you could sign up for XBLA:TV or something?

Aside from the manufacturers believing in the product and Microsoft wanting to cut them a deal, I'm not sure about the heat or whatever that'd come with adding an Xbox internals to a TV. With the current trend being to make the tv as slim as possible, would current tech represent an issue? What about next gen? If they launched a TV now that was powerful enough to play PS2 games, nobody would be that fussed, would they? It'd have to be up to date and I can't see that happening this or next gen.

When do you think "Xbox TV" will happen? Over 5 years away?

And then games died

The Wii will be remembered as that moment in history.

#1207 SMD

SMD
  • Members
  • 20409 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

It died when no one bought the Gamecube.

#1208 Epcotman

Epcotman
  • Members
  • 3427 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

Actually, it lives on in PlayStation.

#1209 Wahwah*

Wahwah*
  • Supporters
  • 23833 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:19 AM

It didn't do so badly at the start did it? "The Legends Are Coming" was where it went really wrong.

#1210 Cthulhu Steev

Cthulhu Steev
  • Members
  • 6605 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

And then games died

It makes you look like a spiteful idiot scott when you do this kind of thing, especially so when you're acting like you are in the Wii U thread - and all because Fully Aspel keeps knocking your Mario hat off.

#1211 scottcr

scottcr
  • Supporters
  • 31367 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Do you think I'm being entirely serious?

Hey - I've even invented a device to make Smart Glass amazing!

#1212 Wahwah*

Wahwah*
  • Supporters
  • 23833 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

Isn't having a second screen what you like at the moment?

#1213 Clipper

Clipper
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Isn't having a second screen what you like at the moment?

Scott has this covered with his nintendo blinker logic

Smart Glass is BAD because you have a distracting second screen to look at for inventory.
WiiU is GOOD because it has a second screen to look at for inventory and it has the controls built into it.

Apparently this makes all the difference

Not my fave Nintendo fan position though.. that one is reserved for the knots they have to tie themselves into over touchscreen. Resistive is better than capacitive apparently...

#1214 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 65007 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

I like it that I can give the second screen to my sister so she can design a shirt for my skateboarder in Tony Hawk.

#1215 Clipper

Clipper
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

For the record I am not sold on this second screen idea fullstop. looking back and forth between handheld screen and TV is going to be a ballache whether it is smart glass or WiiU

I see people say "oh people said that about DS and that was great". And I think... yes but both screens were small and in my field of view simultaneously and equidistant. I could see and visually process both at once. I certainly cant do that with a handheld screen in my lap and a tv 6 ft away

#1216 Napole0n

Napole0n
  • Supporters
  • 65007 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

Second screen is already quite popular over here with sports events and stuff like that - and there it can be useful to get some background info on the players/teams/league/whatever. In games I don't really see it taking off in a meaningful way, unless some developers will think up something really clever to use phones/tablets to make the game more immersive. I wonder if it gets irritating if you have to put down your controller and pick up your phone if your cousin wants to go bowling in GTA V though. Or if you have to pick up and turn on your iPad to set a waypoint on a map or something.

So yeah, swapping between controllers and a second screen will probably get old pretty quickly, when it's integrated like the Wii U it might have more of a future. I like the idea of maps and inventory management on the Wii U controller. While it may not be the pinnacle of innovation, it would make a game like Skyrim or Zelda more playable.

#1217 Clipper

Clipper
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

wrong thread for this, but given fact I only buy Ninty consoles to play Ninty games (I always need a second "hardcore" machine for 3rd party stuff etc) I like the fact they are reasonably priced. £180 for Wii was lovely , GC was 129 I think etc.

so if the gamepad causes WiiU to be £250+ then it might cause me to wait for a pricedrop (as I did with 3DS)

#1218 Hello Goaty ♥

Hello Goaty ♥
  • Supporters
  • 57132 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

Attached File  heyu.jpg   53.02KB   4 downloads

#1219 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30950 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Attached File  heyu.jpg   53.02KB   4 downloads

It's 'it's'.

#1220 Clipper

Clipper
  • Members
  • 1908 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

You know your as bad as the so-called Nintendo fanboys right? When you dismiss every opinion that doesn't match your own as some fanboy pandering?

I resent that remark.. I don't dismiss every opinion that does not agree with mine. I post my opinion and I will challenge others opinions but I certainly dont dismiss EVERY opinion that doesnt match my own as being "fanboyism".

If I do dismiss or lend less weight to an opinion it is for one of two reasons generally

1) Factually incorrect ones
2) Opinions which I believe are born from an inbuilt bias from the poster. To be fair i rarely do this .. Scott, Boyatsea , people like that. And I don't dismiss all of their opinions just the ones that are overly fanboy rabid :)

I play all consoles , all platforms and I have no "favourite" as such. I can and do hold negative opinions on all the platform holders (microsoft, apple,nintendo and sony). And my opinion can be swayed recently I was only interested in iOS handheld gaming and I have expanded to include 3DS and Vita

I cannot stand the "platform blinkers" that certain posters on here display, it is ridiculous to have an affinity for a multi-national corporation. And there are examples in all "camps"

defense of the circle pad pro, kid icarus stand/controls etc
Defense of proprietary memory cards for Vita
Defense of xbox live fee when PS+ offers better value

#1221 Hello Goaty ♥

Hello Goaty ♥
  • Supporters
  • 57132 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

It's 'it's'.

I knew it! but i am at work so it was a stealth job :lol:

why you :)

#1222 snowbind

snowbind
  • Supporters
  • 28854 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

I think it's a fantastic idea that will, in large, be poorly implemented and hardly supported by any of the dev's that I actually care about.

#1223 Dandy_Sephy

Dandy_Sephy
  • Members
  • 34228 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Microsoft skipping Tokyo Game Show and Gamescom to focus on 'smaller, more localized promotions'

#1224 mushashi

mushashi
  • Members
  • 9063 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

They'll be skipping E3 at this rate, they already stopped doing CES. I suppose the ROI doesn't make any sense for those regions, Nintendo aren't doing Gamescom either, and don't usually do TGS, but also stopped doing their own public parties.

#1225 Stanley

Stanley
  • Members
  • 15217 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

They are getting less and less important and no doubt cost a fortune.

#1226 APM

APM
  • Supporters
  • 28760 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Both of those events have games in the title, and it seems to me that Microsoft are less and less about games these days and more about entertainment. So it makes sense, I guess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 360, XBLA, Kinect, PC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users