3DS Platformer Action

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#61 Corporal Flashback

Corporal Flashback
  • Members
  • 6666 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

Can people please stop adding unnecessary attempts at "deep combat".

I don't need a weak attack, a strong attack, a forward attack, an area attack, a counter-attack, a QTE attack, a grapple attack, a timed-press attack and a toss-em-off attack. It's not fucking Smackdown Vs Raw, and it shouldn't be like God of War - it's Castlefuckingvania.

I need the fucking Vampire Killer with one button for whipping/flailing, and a huge supply of holy water.

#62 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 23704 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

I need the fucking Vampire Killer with one button for whipping/flailing, and a huge supply of holy water.

that gets boring in 3d you numpty

also its now the 21st century

#63 HarMGM

HarMGM
  • Members
  • 1559 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hmmm, having recently rediscovered the series with the brilliant Order of Ecclesia(which I lost here in Oz :facepalm: ) this news disappointed me first.

But, a lot of the info that we've been given along with the screens look pretty damn interesting. A mix between an Isometric 3D brawler and a 2D Metroidvania could be either utter shit, or utter brilliance.

I'm interested, that's for sure.

#64 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 23704 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

BTW: Dawn of Sorrow > Symphony of the Night > Aria of Sorrow > Order of Ecclesia > Circle of the Moon > Portrait of Ruin > Harmony of Dissonance

You're all very welcome.

#65 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Contra 4 was fucking amazing you mean man.

Okay, okay - they've done one good game in the past five years.

#66 Jbone

Jbone
  • Supporters
  • 1377 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Okay, okay - they've done one good game in the past five years.

Aliens Infestation is also well worth playing

#67 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Shut up. :hmm:

Anyway, Bloodrayne actually managed to be worse than the second game, so I'm not confident in their ability to 'Castlevania' anything.

#68 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 2796 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Aliens Infestation is also well worth playing

I ended up being quite dissappointed with Alien Infestation. :( Again, nice pixel art but some pretty boring gameplay.

#69 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

BTW: Dawn of Sorrow > Symphony of the Night > Aria of Sorrow > Order of Ecclesia > Circle of the Moon > Portrait of Ruin > Harmony of Dissonance

looks about right...

Anyways, Lords of Shadow 2 has been confirmed for Xbox360 and PS3! No details yet, but we can expect them tomorrow.

#70 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

More images:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

Looks rather pretty for a portable game, tbh.

And it seems like its full title is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate .

#71 Dame_Vaako

Dame_Vaako
  • Members
  • 1899 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

It's non linear apparently. This looks mega.

#72 suzzopher

suzzopher
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Loving the look of this. The art style is fantastic and reminds me of the old Castlevania box arts from the NES/SNES era.

#73 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

As someone whose first experience with a 3D Castlevania was by means of Castlevania 64, I shall always remain highly suspicious of 3D 'vanias.
Although this one does look lovely.

#74 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27526 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Damn, they must've dumped IGA's body in a Siberian ditch or something next to Gunpei's by now. :(

Urgh, the worst thing about this is that the fights are probably going to be all God of War like, meaning they are probably going to be unskippable (locked arena's etc.) and take away from any feel of freedom you might have. It's going to be pure hell if they add backtracking to that.

Part of the freedom in the IGA CV's came from being able to leg it when things we're getting hairy, allowing you to gamble a bit. If this is going to follow standard H&S combat sequences, things are looking a bit grim.

#75 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Damn, they must've dumped IGA's body in a Siberian ditch or something next to Gunpei's by now. :(

It's not like Igarashi's 3D 'vania was any good.
Still, most people seem to agree that the only Castlevania's that matter are the 2D ones.

#76 chris on the moon

chris on the moon
  • Members
  • 17749 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

- deep combat mechanics

Oh well thank god for that

As much as I enjoyed Symphony (after numerous failed attempts to enjoy it) I'd still love to see a 2D 'vania in the style of the NES and SNES games. The most modern example I've tried must have been that PSP remake of Drac X but I personally prefer the games that are more about skillful reflexes than pure grinding

I think you're playing it wrong, and this is why I object to the whole "metroidvania" label. If you play them in the style of old castlevanias, you do much better. You know, if you properly fight each enemy instead of running around as quickly as possible spamming attacks.
In SOTN especially, the different areas of the castle are levels (though this got lost somewhere along the way, particularly in cotm and hod). Exploration isn't as important as in metroid, you're not breaking down lots of cracked walls and looking for secret openings.
Hell, castlevania 2 had a lot of explorable open world nonsense. to me there's no such thing as metroidvania.

- Two other characters are both in the game

Game must have at least three characters. Story must begin AND end.

#77 gizmo1990

gizmo1990
  • Members
  • 2796 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

There's some great art direction going on there. You can definitely see they've gone back to the snes era for influences.

#78 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27526 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

It's not like Igarashi's 3D 'vania was any good.
Still, most people seem to agree that the only Castlevania's that matter are the 2D ones.

3D Castlevanias? Whatever are you talking about? Such things surely do not exist?

#79 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

3D Castlevanias? Whatever are you talking about? Such things surely do not exist?

Almost fell for this :doh:

#80 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 8742 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

You're all very welcome.

This reminds me. Is Lament of Innocense on PS2 any good? I have a copy that has sat unplayed for many a year.

I'm guessing by its omission from that list that it's one of the duffers!

#81 Polmon

Polmon
  • Members
  • 6374 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

It's a 3D(ish) Castlevania, which is why he didn't include it. In my opinion, it's the best 3D one.

#82 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 23704 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hey Polmon, haven't seen you around in a while. How's it hanging?

#83 U-1

U-1
  • Members
  • 8742 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

It's a 3D(ish) Castlevania, which is why he didn't include it. In my opinion, it's the best 3D one.

Ahhhh.. May give it a whirl then. Cheers

#84 Polmon

Polmon
  • Members
  • 6374 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hey Polmon, haven't seen you around in a while. How's it hanging?

Pretty good, cheers. I've been on here a bit lately, but I've reading a lot more than posting.

#85 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

This reminds me. Is Lament of Innocense on PS2 any good? I have a copy that has sat unplayed for many a year.

I'm guessing by its omission from that list that it's one of the duffers!

It's bloody awful - yet I put hours into it. Proper weird game.

#86 Matt G

Matt G
  • Members
  • 3926 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

It's bloody awful - yet I put hours into it. Proper weird I am.

Fixed.

#87 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

I hate everything you stand for, Matt.

#88 Dr Derek Doctors

Dr Derek Doctors
  • Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

You're all very welcome.

You, sir, are out of your fuckin' tree! Although only with regards to the order of the first two.

#89 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7580 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

First teaser trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBNVLwuhT8

Full gameplay trailer will be shown during E3 next week.

Apparently this game takes place between the two main Lords of Shadow games.

#90 chris on the moon

chris on the moon
  • Members
  • 17749 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

It's going to be full of octopusses squirting ink at you underwater and maybe you have to blow into the camera to blow bubbles and then you tap to pop them which does
something

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3DS, Platformer, Action

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users