• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7581 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

Posted Image

According to the latest rumours and the fact that Konami recently acquired the corresponding domain names, a new Castlevania game, subtitled Mirror of Fate is coming out somewhere in 2013.

Mirror of Fate supposedly features 2D gameplay similar to what was produced on the NDS. However, this time Mercury Steam (Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Clive Barker's Jericho) is making the game rather than Konami. Konami will still be publishing.
It seems that Konami will be announcing Castlevania: Mirror of Fate, as a new 3DS title, at this year’s E3. The news apparently comes from the company’s appointment schedule for the event.
Gameplay information is not yet available. However, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow producer David Cox and director/writer Enric Álvarez are supposedly working on Mirror of Fate too.

Stay tuned for more news!

#2 mdn2

mdn2
  • Members
  • 4809 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

While I love the 2D Castlevania games, I hated Lords of Shadow and Jericho. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic, as long as it doesn't deviate from the existing template. There has been a distinct lack of Metroidvanias in recent years.

If it is a Metroidvania type, of course.

#3 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7581 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

While I love the 2D Castlevania games, I hated Lords of Shadow and Jericho. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic, as long as it doesn't deviate from the existing template.

Too true. They're also the guys who did Severance: Blade of Darkness, so yes, cautious optimism is adviced.
Bit of a shame Konami isn't developing this themselves, as the NDS ones were great. Although after 5 of the buggers (if you incl. the last two GBA ones), its formula started to get a bit long in the teeth.

#4 Jbone

Jbone
  • Supporters
  • 1377 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Oh man.

Day 1.

That is all.

#5 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8359 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

I loved Lords Of Shadow, had a great time with it. However I'm not a hardcore fan of the series and I've never been that keen on the metroidvania games past Symphony Of The Night. I'd rather they did one more like Castlevania IV tbh. I loved the older ones/older style back in the day.

#6 Captain LeChuck

Captain LeChuck
  • Members
  • 13089 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

I hated Lords of Shadow

Does not compute. It's a fantastic game.

#7 MBM

MBM
  • Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Not a fan of what Mecury Steam did to the franchise with Lords of Shadow, but it's a new 2D Castlevania. The chances of me buying it are at or near 100%.

There has been a distinct lack of Metroidvanias in recent years.

Not every game here is new, but if you've missed them, they're worth checking out:

Batman AA
Lyle in Cube Sector(free: http://www.sitesled..../bogo/lyle.html )
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Cave Story+
Treasure Adventure Game(free on Gog.com and elsewhere)
Aquaria
Warp(has some Metroidvania elements)

Haven't played Arkham City, but isn't that a Metroidvania too? I've heard people describe Dark Void Zero and Shantae:RR as having that structure and if you're in the mood for something simpler the Robot Wants(Kitty, Puppy etc) games fulfill the criteria. And there's browser games:

http://www.newground...tal/view/557083

#8 Soulstar

Soulstar
  • Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

Also Darksiders which I believe to be excellent.

#9 Spainkiller

Spainkiller
  • Supporters
  • 23704 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Shadow Complex!

#10 Chopsocky

Chopsocky
  • Members
  • 1697 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

I loved Order of Eccelsia (awesome soundtrack too!). I'm starting to get castlevania withdrawal so I hope this rumor is true.

#11 Corporal Flashback

Corporal Flashback
  • Members
  • 6666 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

new Castlevania game

2D gameplay

similar to what was produced on the NDS.

Posted Image

#12 Dr Derek Doctors

Dr Derek Doctors
  • Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

I think it's a good thing that they're farming it out, tbh. Hopefully it won't feel like the same collection of tricks that the last 2 DS titles did. I mean I enjoyed 'em, but they were familiar as hell.

Haven't played Arkham City, but isn't that a Metroidvania too? I've heard people describe Dark Void Zero and Shantae:RR as having that structure and if you're in the mood for something simpler the Robot Wants(Kitty, Puppy etc) games fulfill the criteria.

I don't think Dark Void Zero is Metroidvaniary. At least not as far as I've got.

And while Shantae:RR *is* a Metroidvania, it's also a shit game, which detracts from that somewhat. ;)

#13 chris on the moon

chris on the moon
  • Members
  • 17749 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

Konami really hate making their own games now. Lords of Shadow was enjoyable in places but I couldn't ignore all the flaws that were going on almost constantly.

#14 Cosmic Squirrel

Cosmic Squirrel
  • Members
  • 25778 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Apparently this is also coming out on the Wii U, PS3 and 360.

#15 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Does not compute. It's a fantastic game.

It's a great old yarn that keeps you playing - but as a game, it's a bag of boiled piss.

#16 Keyboard Koala

Keyboard Koala
  • Supporters
  • 7581 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Apparently this is also coming out on the Wii U, PS3 and 360.

Well, it hasn't actually been confirmed which platform this is on. Rumours heavily suggest 3DS, but we got 2D 'vanias on Xbox Live and PSN too, didn't we.

#17 RadiatorWood

RadiatorWood
  • Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

It would be nicely ironic if the new 2D Castlevania was released exclusively on the 3DS.

#18 joffocakes

joffocakes
  • Supporters
  • 10341 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Oh my. This is wonderful news. I hope it's as good as Dawn of Sorrow. I loved that game so much. Actually, maybe I'll just buy that again; I'm sure I've forgotten most of it.

I remember back in the 90s when those blue-ish purple shadow-trails behind a sprite as it moves were about the coolest thing my mind could comprehend. I hope it has more of those.

#19 Captain LeChuck

Captain LeChuck
  • Members
  • 13089 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

It's a great old yarn that keeps you playing - but as a game, it's a bag of boiled piss.

Again, does not compute. I think it's a great game to play as well as having a pretty great tale to tell.

#20 Corporal Flashback

Corporal Flashback
  • Members
  • 6666 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

I hated the demo of LoS. However, as it's Castlevania and it was cheap I have bought it. ;) Will report back.

#21 mr_woo

mr_woo
  • Members
  • 8359 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Again, does not compute. I think it's a great game to play as well as having a pretty great tale to tell.

Yeah I agree, really fun combat in that game. Didn't have any problems with the game at all other than the framerate not exactly being the best/stable.

#22 Gique

Gique
  • Members
  • 7822 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

If they were gonna get an external dev in, why wasn`t this given to wayforward??

#23 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yeah I agree, really fun combat in that game. Didn't have any problems with the game at all other than the framerate not exactly being the best/stable.

And that's what kills it, really. So juddery and inconsistent, it can lead to endless frustration. The combat system isn't really all that, either.

#24 RobNoyce

RobNoyce
  • Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Aren't Wayforward working on an Adventure Time 3DS title? (amongst other things probably). They'd be an excellent choice for sure.

#25 Meh

Meh
  • Members
  • 30551 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Wayforward haven't done much in the way of brilliance in recent years.

#26 Cyhwuhx

Cyhwuhx
  • Supporters
  • 27526 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Why not get M2? They did ReBirth already anyway.

#27 Dr Derek Doctors

Dr Derek Doctors
  • Members
  • 2426 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Aren't Wayforward working on an Adventure Time 3DS title? (amongst other things probably). They'd be an excellent choice for sure.

NO! No no no! They might do lovely graphics but their design talents are questionable.

And nobody suggest the Henry Hatsworth people, either. They're overrated, too.

#28 revlob

revlob

Rllmuk President

• Tech Team
  • 11839 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Is there anything to suggest this will be a Metroidvania? Other than it'll be 2D? I mean, I loved the GBA/DS Castlevania games and wouldn't mind more, but this could be a beat 'em up or a puzzle game for all we know so far.

#29 Corporal Flashback

Corporal Flashback
  • Members
  • 6666 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

I hated the demo of LoS. However, as it's Castlevania and it was cheap I have bought it. ;) Will report back.

Oh dear! Every single level seemed to herald new bad things during my few-hour playing of LoS. In order when they occured from start to big ice boss:

- Bad camera...
- ...No camera control!
- FAR too much handholding/tutorials with no way to turn them off
- Terrible hopefully-one-time riding section that should be fast-paced but thanks to the controls, the get-knocked-off-your-horse thing and the next point, was a huge pain in the arse
- TOO MANY CUTSCENES. Killing a Warg involved you pressing RT which initiates a 10 second cutscene of you killing it. EVERY TIME.
- Invisible walls everywhere
- Too many unnecessary let's-rip-off-God-of-War-type moves, in particular the circle-match-press special thing. Got me killed during one boss because although it would have been quicker and easier to just hit it, I had to finish it off with that oft-cumbersome special.
- The lack of proper swinging-from-whip moves (aside from when on a high edge) really makes platforming seem cumbersome after playing games like Uncharted.
- There was not a single line of dialogue that had any character in it at all. None. This really stood out in the Pan conversation, which was literally a bullet pointed list in dialogue form: "Why are you here?" (explains) "Why did they send you?" (explains emotionlessly about death of wife) etc etc

I finally got to the big grand ice boss, couldn't get past the brushing-off-his-arm-after-first-rune bit and couldn't seem to evade enough finally turned it off.

It's a big shame as the world and the story really intrigue me. Alas. Reading up on the story and trading the game in, I think.

#30 Kayin Amoh

Kayin Amoh
  • Members
  • 3438 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

My favourite thing about the original's storytelling is Jean Luc telling you how FURIOUS and FULL OF RAGE Gabriel was becoming between levels, yet in both cutscenes and gameplay he has the slightly depressed look of someone who just missed the bus and knows he'll be waiting hours for the next one in the pissing rain.

The bit that really got me though, was that there's a stage where it changes the rules about pulling a lever. I forget the details, but it was along the lines of 'every level in the game except this one allows you to hold down the lever button while turning. Ha ha'. Eventually I had to look up a guide because the standard rules had changed for absolutely no reason whatsoever, like suddenly having to press the back button to whip across a particular gap. I was absolutely sure there was a puzzle element I was missing as the log thing would clunk back into place almost immediately.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3DS, Platformer, Action

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users