Cereal Bar type things

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marsh

marsh
  • Members
  • 12772 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

I finally capitulated and decided to buy Mcvities 'Product of the Year' as proudly announced while a pair of prize twats 'mix up a medley' with those 'funky biscuits' etc. A hobknobs medley bar. I tend to avoid these like the plague because I tend to find them ghastly at best, but this is striding to new levels. That's the worse thing I've ever put in my mouth, and I was brought up in the eighties when it wasn't uncommon to eat dirt.

Are any of these bars worth eating, or should I simply chalk it up to experience and move on?

#2 Pandy

Pandy
  • Supporters
  • 15668 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

I always enjoyed those Rice Krispies Rocky Road cereal bar things. Often come in a 4 pack.

#3 Tunisia

Tunisia
  • Members
  • 8479 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Kelloggs' Elevenses Raisin Bakes are pretty good; very sweet though. Nature Valley's crunchy granola bars are good, too- they feel a bit like chomping on MDF but they're tasty as. Also pretty sweet.

#4 marsh

marsh
  • Members
  • 12772 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

Some of the natures valley stuff is ok, I might seek them out. The elevenses raisn bakes are ok, but a little moist for my liking...

#5 revlob

revlob

Rllmuk President

• Tech Team
  • 11989 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

My wife cycles to and from work, often twice a day, and needs a high calorie snack food that isn't full of junk. She was pretty disappointed with either the price, taste, or ingredient list of just about every single cereal bar out there, so we make our own.

We use a variation of the River Cottage Booster Bar. The key to making them really nice is to have a higher content of fruit/nuts/seeds than you do cereal, but you need to add more sugar/fat than Hugh asks for because otherwise they refuse to bind and just crumble.

#6 marsh

marsh
  • Members
  • 12772 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

plus 1'd for awesomeness. Home baking it is then.

#7 Rsdio

Rsdio
  • Members
  • 8577 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

If you're too lazy to make anything, like me, 9Bars might be a good option. Pure nuts and seeds with a carob topping. Waitrose and Sainsbury's definitely do them, not sure about the other supermarkets.

I've always had trouble eating enough (I've never really had any sort of appetite) so these have become pretty indispensable - 300-odd calories and about 10g of protein. Maybe pack a toothpick if you're out and about though, they're fuckers that way!

#8 hoot

hoot
  • Members
  • 9410 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Posted Image

Are awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users