Day Z, The Road with Zombies

• Please log in to reply
3865 replies to this topic

#1051 spork

spork
  • Supporters
  • 3792 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

What's the infamous google groups message?

#1052 MacMantis

MacMantis
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

So given I was going to go home, purchase Arma 2 + Add-on then Download Day Z... is it safe to do that now or would I be better off waiting until this blows over?

#1053 Fox

Fox
  • Supporters
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Good to hear about all the vehicles people have been finding. I wonder if they increased the spawn rate when they fixed vehicles not spawning? Anything which reduces the boredom of running through the countryside for hours is welcome.

I was just south of the northern airfield and heard an engine. I ducked into a bush just as a guy came over a hill on a quadbike, from the direction of the airfield. He stopped maybe 40 feet away and faced me. I had the sights of my Enfield lined up directly with his head. I'll admit, the only thing that stopped me putting a bullet in between his eyes and taking the quadbike was the fact that there were quite a few zeds around and I was on 7k blood. I'm still yet to kill a survivor/bandit.
20 minutes later I was dead anyway, after crawling into Olsha, losing my bearings, and then standing up to have a look around and finding myself staring right into the face (and teeth) of a zombie :(

#1054 Sponge

Sponge
  • Members
  • 3864 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

For some reason the vehicle I want most is the push bike!

#1055 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3329 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

Tent has come back. Oh and we have a car again.

Ive had a productive afternoon :)

So im cutting cross country and I spy a weird looking hill and think ill check it out as a possible camp site. As im climbing the hill I see a car! Then i notice I can also hear the engine. Shit!

I decide to try and sneak up behind the vehicle maybe cap the driver through the window.

Suddenly everything lags , and I spin round the car is up against a rock behind me and on the ground in front of me is a sniper in a gillie suit! He had obviously driven towards me possibly tried to run me over then hopped out and lay down. But I had appeared behind him... one clip of my m19 just to be sure and a quick check to see if he had any friends.....

He had a DMR , an M24, a GPS, a range finder, a coyote backpack (which i already had).....

Quite a good find all in all, i'm pretty sure he's not a very happy chappy!

Maeks that 1.5 hour hike from the debug wilderness and near death experience all worth while!

#1056 MacMantis

MacMantis
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

I am currently watching Steam Download Arma II: Arrowhead. It is akin to watching paint dry.

#1057 Raane

Raane
  • Members
  • 1439 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Wrecked UAV about a minute or two walk from main camp. I propose this is our first priority, needs all parts though. Anyone dead walking up north please pick up: Engine parts, Main rotor assembly, scrap metal and wheels!
Oh yeah we also found a broken helicopter.

#1058 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Are all servers laggy at the moment or just specific ones? I'm just a bit worried that stuff could kick off and it'll be a disaster, I agree with shooting that sniper but man, that's a nightmare for him. It's really hard work trying to stick together as well, enemies could walk right up to you and you'd never know.

#1059 spork

spork
  • Supporters
  • 3792 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

This server gets laggy when it is in need of a reset.

#1060 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3329 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Yeah its a bit worrying isnt it. I won the lag lottery that time...

He was undoubtedly a cunt though , solo guy, gillie suit, two sniper rifles, hanging gout near Stary .....

#1061 Garibaldi

Garibaldi
  • Members
  • 4713 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Like star-crossed lovers it seems me and Mamma's Boy are destined to never be happy in our partnership; the cruel whimsy of fate, DayZ bugs and my general map reading incompetence have once again conspired to thwart our teaming up to reach camp RllMuk.

I had to head down and across the map to rendevous with MB and his chum, but through my sheer enthusiasm and lack of any road signs just kept running until I had covered half the map and hit the coast. I found a lake with twelve tents next to it and suspected a trap ( it was such an idiotic place for a camp, next to a watering hole and opposite the coast ) but after combing the area for a sniper decided to chance a quick pilfering. Car parts, assorted ammo, rifles and a crossbow, food drink and bloodpacks. I grabbed a bloodpack, some food and ammo and legged it. Gunshots kept ringing out but fortunately I avoided other players and raced across the countryside, robbing two barns ( one was filled entirely with wood. Brilliant. ) for supplies, however my rising real-life hunger and the sight that so much in-game forest was having on my sanity forced me to log-out before Team Winchester ( I can't believe you picked up a crossbow, MB. Did our team's uniqueness mean nothing to you? ) could band together once more.

#1062 Cheeko

Cheeko
  • Members
  • 5675 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

From the depths of crawling through Gorka with broken legs I have since risen like a Phoenix. I now am fully stocked on pieces such as matches, hatchet, binocs etc. added an alice pack curtesy of camp muk, and the icing on the cake is my shiny new M249 light machine gun I just found by a crashed chopper.

I really look forward to an opportunity to unleash that bad boy.

Makes up for my disappointment of lagging out of the car I was in with everyone and being dumped back on my own in the middle of a field.

#1063 Raane

Raane
  • Members
  • 1439 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Amazing scenes over the evening. I and Strategos decided to take the new car out for a spin to try get more fuel and car parts to repair the other jeep i'd sighted. Lag hits pretty hard and strategos takes a surprise-mauling-to-death whilst i'm firing at the zeds and totally not at him.
He's evidently a bit miffed at this turn of events and respawns in a kamarovo in the south west. I in the mean time finish bundling his gear into the boot of the car and find 3 full jerry cans of fuel, no sooner than i've finished filling the car up, Cheeko turns up and Spork logs on. We all muster in Gorka and set off to pick up the forsaken Strat.
On the tiniest dirt road trailing about 20 zombies, cheeko unfortunately disconnects and essentially drop and rolls out of the car leading to the caper above!

After a windey and tense journey we charge into Kamarovo tailed by a large chunk of the former populace. We leave the car and bolt inside to hold them off as Strat runs out of makarov rounds. Lewis then newly deceased respawns nearby and hooks up with us as we refill the car and search for more loot.

Our journey took us from there to the factory near dolina, to the factory on the coast and finally northern berezino! We were like a finely oiled machine raiding each of these sites for a bounty of car parts. In total i'd estimate we did 20-25 km in the new car. In all a very enjoyable, tense and productive day for Team Awesome!

#1064 MacMantis

MacMantis
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

After a long and painful download process I finally got up and running at around 11pm last night. After some jiggering around finding a server (any server), I spawn.

--

It's dark, above there is sky, behind me there are waves, it's raining heavily. I find myself peering at the screen before conceding and lighting a flare. Except I don't, I accidentallly let off a round (slip of a finger and still unfamiliar controls). I stand for a few and then, having not attracted any attention, toss a flare. Slowly make my way towards a railway line which I follow until I reach a meeting point with a road. Another flare tossed and this time I catch a tiny bit of movement in the distance. Something hopping down the road. I don't know if it can see me, but I dodge off the road all the same, circling wide. Breathe a little easier as it seems to pass me. Except it didn't, it circles back round and makes a bee-line straight for me. I fire clumsily, it goes down. Once again the noise of the gun seems deafening against the ambient sounds of night and rain. A flash of lightning briefly illuminates and I see buildings in the distance. Isolated buildings or a town? I can't tell. I head towards it, knowing in my head this is a mistake but having a desparate need to not be out in the open, to not be so exposed.

I edge cautiously around the side of a building, and see that there's more buildings. Huh, so it's a town. There's a noise, I turn as something else skitters along the ground towards me and gets in a few strikes. I fire, slightly more accurately and it goes down quickly. Headshot. Nice. More noises, in the distance this time but rapidly getting closer, I spin around to run... straight into the gaping maw of the undead.

No time to aim and fire.

I die.

----

So.... that was fun.

#1065 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3329 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Welcome to life in Chern Mac, you have many more deaths ahead of you.

Your little story sounds excellent :) I miss those early days of fear and uncertainty!

Thanks again to Raane and team awesome for the collection, and returning all my great loot to me and saving the world from another ginger strop.

It was a great evening. Driving around in the car and raiding places is a totally different game. Hopefully we will get the ATV fixed up though god knows how the lag would work with two vehicles. Having passengers in the car is ok, cos they can sit back and enjoy the lag show. I can imagine two cars trying to coordinate could be a disaster.

Still really need some camo lol

#1066 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3329 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Oh good news....

http://dayzmod.com/f...d.php?tid=10353

#1067 Pedro de las Montagnes

Pedro de las Montagnes
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Oh fuck yeah! No more cheap wall deaths!

#1068 Mammas_Boy

Mammas_Boy
  • Members
  • 1378 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

Like star-crossed lovers it seems me and Mamma's Boy are destined to never be happy in our partnership; the cruel whimsy of fate, DayZ bugs and my general map reading incompetence have once again conspired to thwart our teaming up to reach camp RllMuk.

I had to head down and across the map to rendevous with MB and his chum, but through my sheer enthusiasm and lack of any road signs just kept running until I had covered half the map and hit the coast. I found a lake with twelve tents next to it and suspected a trap ( it was such an idiotic place for a camp, next to a watering hole and opposite the coast ) but after combing the area for a sniper decided to chance a quick pilfering. Car parts, assorted ammo, rifles and a crossbow, food drink and bloodpacks. I grabbed a bloodpack, some food and ammo and legged it. Gunshots kept ringing out but fortunately I avoided other players and raced across the countryside, robbing two barns ( one was filled entirely with wood. Brilliant. ) for supplies, however my rising real-life hunger and the sight that so much in-game forest was having on my sanity forced me to log-out before Team Winchester ( I can't believe you picked up a crossbow, MB. Did our team's uniqueness mean nothing to you? ) could band together once more.

Combining being drunk at 5pm and trying to log into this game is not a good thing. It resulted in the mood swings of a menstrual woman and making silly decisions (see the collection of a crossbow as stated above).

For the second time in a row I spawn mid west of the map, a random spot in the forest with no familiar landmark in sight. Peeved, I turn in the direction I remember of the nearest town and Usain Bolt it to our rendezvous. On the way and amidst my random babblings with our other traveler Marnchair, I ask Garibaldi where he is, "oh, I can see the coast" he says. Facepalm moment. I run as the crow flies to my destination, calmly popping any Z that gets in my way like some kind of calm Zen Z killer. I think by this point the booze is helping my nerves turning me into some kind of Winchester bearing Rambo.

After finding the town of Drozhino, testing my crossbow out on the heads of a few Z's and not being able to find my bolts (fuck the crossbow), I luckily locate a CZ750 Sniper rifle and log off.

Oh Garibaldi, between us and our bad luck we could make the first Day Z comedy show. Our actions are noobish but pretty hilarious.

#1069 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3329 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Sounds fun, but you guys should sort out your gfx settings and play on the same server as the rest of us, then you can benefit from vehicles, sniper cover, quick rescues after death,...

If you look at our road trip vid, you can see what nighttime looks like for me with the gamma/alpha and HDR all on max.

#1070 spork

spork
  • Supporters
  • 3792 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Log on with a goal to get that UAV or whatever it is up and running but it's not there. Run to camp and nothing is there again. Argh!

#1071 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3329 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Post on UK4 forum and ask for a reset, HIVE issues.

#1072 Mammas_Boy

Mammas_Boy
  • Members
  • 1378 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

See, us daytime dwellers see none of this lag death!

MUAAAhahaha.

I'll sort out the beta patch this week.

#1073 MacMantis

MacMantis
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Sounds fun, but you guys should sort out your gfx settings and play on the same server as the rest of us, then you can benefit from vehicles, sniper cover, quick rescues after death,...

I'm definitely planning to hop on the mumble server and find the RLLMUK posse once I've gotten the hang of the controls a little more. I didn't have a headset to hand last night (an issue I've now rectified by rescuing my one from work) and wanted to get a grip on things before I started putting other peoples 'lives' in danger. I've no desire to be branded Leeroy Jenkins. :blush:

#1074 Sponge

Sponge
  • Members
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

Great news about the latest update.

I see that BI now have Rocket working on DayZ full time now :)

#1075 spork

spork
  • Supporters
  • 3792 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

UAZ is now at our camp. Everything is green apart from the engine, so be careful!

It is currently hidden among the trees at 240 degrees from the tent. I guess if we can get enough on later we should look at doing the relocation thing with our 2 cars and couple of new tents?

#1076 Strategos

Strategos
  • Members
  • 3329 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

Nice work Spork!

I'm still really torn on the moving camp issue. So far we have still evaded detection.....

#1077 Mammas_Boy

Mammas_Boy
  • Members
  • 1378 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

I know this is a little late in the thread but it has just helped me out a shit load. I've only just realised i've been playing the game without ever using my backpack properly.

If you read the top youtube comment you will notice the guy in the vid has made an error in explaining the dropping of a backpack but other than that it seems pretty spot on.

I know people are joining this game all the time so it could be useful for the noobs.

How to use the inventory:

#1078 Alan Stock

Alan Stock
  • Members
  • 5399 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

It really is one of the poorest, most confusing inventory systems in gaming history.

#1079 Pedro de las Montagnes

Pedro de las Montagnes
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

I found it pretty straightforward, it only confused me the first time I opened my bag when looking at loot. After that it made sense to me. The only thing I would change is so you can see the same slots screen of your bag when you open whilst looking at loot as to when you don't. (don't mean to be snooty or anything). I thought the use of the fucking flashlight to be much more confusing than the bag! SO when you're gun is armed, you press fire and it fires, but when the flashlight is armed, you press fire, nothing happens. okay, press f a few times to 'arm' the flashlight, press fire (like you would with the flares) nothing happens. Oh, press L after that?! Of course!

#1080 Sponge

Sponge
  • Members
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I don't like the way the inventory system tries to second guess what you want to do with ammo when you are mucking around changing guns. It's happened a few times, I've done some inventory management with weapons, wander a few miles away, reload... oh no all my ammo has gone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users