Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Ape

Day Z, The Road with Zombies

3,888 posts in this topic

Nope, gone from there, tents might still be there though.

Just had another go for about 40 mins, died 3 times before i'd found anything let alone a gun.

Its way to brutal.

Can anyone help? I haven't played for a few days, but I've been following all the updates on here. So today I finally got some time to play, and I downloaded the latest beta patch and dayz files. About half the servers now won't let me on though, apparently because my version is too new. I have 1.60.93616. Do I need to revert to the previous beta patch?

I did manage to get on one of the other servers at the first attempt, but then there were no zombies. And I ran full pelt around Balota and then up towards Stary Stobor (or whatever it's called; I've never actually been there...) and not once did I get a single visible/audible indicator.

Have I done something wrong somewhere?

Go online get the latest beta, and the latest alpha there there's a new hotfix right now. Use the direct download link or the torrent not the shit updater.

Martin you need to get on mumble and hook up with team awesome :)

*grumbles about having to do a radio show tonight when he could be fearing for his life armed only with a few empty bean cans*

Glad to hear posters arrived safely for a few people. One more went out today, another (should) be going out tomorrow. Then all I have left are the (now outdated) loot maps. But they still server the function of being a map.

Not digging the lack of a spawning weapon TBH. It makes the opening few hours pretty horrible in terms of fun factor. Tense and scary, yeah, but zero fun. If this were a game with tighter controls or better stealth mechanics, fair enough, but as it is it basically ends up with you crawling around on your belly for ages and hoping for the best until you're lucky enough to find something to shoot with. Take agro at this tage, and I can't find a way to lose it; I have just resigned to respawning and trying again.

Not like the original pistols were super powerful or anything either. They just gave you one tiny, measly llifeline if you pulled agro in those early hours before finding a decent gun.

Go online get the latest beta, and the latest alpha there there's a new hotfix right now. Use the direct download link or the torrent not the shit updater.

Martin you need to get on mumble and hook up with team awesome :)

Ha, yes i will see about buying headphone and mic this weekend tho tbh survivng the first 10 mins is hard enough friends or no friends :P

Not digging the lack of a spawning weapon TBH. It makes the opening few hours pretty horrible in terms of fun factor. Tense and scary, yeah, but zero fun. If this were a game with tighter controls or better stealth mechanics, fair enough, but as it is it basically ends up with you crawling around on your belly for ages and hoping for the best until you're lucky enough to find something to shoot with. Take agro at this tage, and I can't find a way to lose it; I have just resigned to respawning and trying again.

Not like the original pistols were super powerful or anything either. They just gave you one tiny, measly llifeline if you pulled agro in those early hours before finding a decent gun.

If the zombies were like they were before the recent patch and footseps weren't so loud then spawning without a weapon would be quite fun.

Even if you had a gun you'd still have to run into the country side before firing so that you didn't pull the whole town. You had a little leeway with the makarov unlike an Enfield.

Latest patch has put their hearing back to the level it was at before. Evading zack is actually quite easy. If you are rumbled you can run like the wind. Try get into a house or long barn/shed with two entrances, go into it and wait for the zombies to start entering through that door - then leave through the other door, turn the corner and hit the deck, crawling away from the house/barn. For smaller houses and barns it's normally possible to loot the building when you're there too. Pigsheds are perfect for evasion, hell, if you're careful you can lose them rounding a wall.

This guide is quite good:

http://slashreroll.com/2012/06/20/dayz-surviving-the-zombie-apocalypse-with-only-a-flashlight-and-a-tin-can/

Isnt tense and scary the fun bit ? I love it lol.

Saying that I was terrified when i first started, then the Z's became way too easy. Now im scared again so I can imagine that the learning curve is right up again. The last patch WAS hard. Try again with 1.7.1.5.

New patch is garbage. I was prone, crawling toward a building when a zombie behind the fucking building somehow spotted me and aggroed, which in turn aggroed about 10 more. Genuinely sick of this game now, think ill leave it til its at least a beta for now, cause every patch since about 1.5 has done nothing but break something

Man down man down! lol

Chances are ill be back playing it by fucking lunchtime tho...damn game :lol:

Still think the best version of the game was before the bandit skin removal tho

Isnt tense and scary the fun bit ? I love it lol.

This.

I'm totally for no spawn weapon. Other than the fear factor (and this game is the first game I've played in YEARS that actually generated a feeling of terror), death becomes meaningless if you can spawn immediately, run around capping players and zombies without a care in the world and be back to where you were (location and kit) a couple of hours later. Now that starting over is a challenge it should provide more impetus not to die.

Having said that I haven't actually spawned new since the no weapon spawn was introduced, so maybe I'll change my mind when I do. But in theory, I fucking love the idea.

Genuinely sick of this game now, think ill leave it til its at least a beta for now, cause every patch since about 1.5 has done nothing but break something

I-Sense-Butthurt-75000244666.jpeg

This.

I'm totally for no spawn weapon. Other than the fear factor (and this game is the first game I've played in YEARS that actually generated a feeling of terror), death becomes meaningless if you can spawn immediately, run around capping players and zombies without a care in the world and be back to where you were (location and kit) a couple of hours later. Now that starting over is a challenge it should provide more impetus not to die.

Having said that I haven't actually spawned new since the no weapon spawn was introduced, so maybe I'll change my mind when I do. But in theory, I fucking love the idea.

This was what i thought too, before i spawned with no weapon. My biggest complaint is that with no weapon, and with zombies being more dangerous than ever and spotting you easier than ever, you die incredibly easily now once you spawn. So if you aggro one of them, youre pretty much boned unless theres a long barn or a forest nearby you can lose them in. So its gotten to the stage now where i dont care if i die cause it happens so frequently, so if i aggro a zed while unarmed i pretty much just respawn and try again. Its a great idea in theory but in practice i just think its a bit of a fuck up to be fair.

I love it, it's like a blockbuster movie that opens with an action set piece, you arrive on the shoreline, nothing but beans and a flashlight to your name. You decide to approach a nearby structure to see if there are any other survivors or equipment you can use HOLY SHIT THERE'S A ZOMBIE CHASING ME, OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD!

Outrun and outsmart those bastards, it's the only way to survive in this god damn apocalypse.

lol ive done a fair bit of re spawning without weapons and have to admit Ive really enjoyed it. I had one comedy moment where I was running round a bridge and i just couldn't lose the fucker, every time i lost him, he wander round the corner and go "oh there he is arrrraaaarrrr"

Throwing objects to distract them Proning in buildings and running really fast are your friends. lol

Does anyone ever use the crossbow? I've just respawned in Cherno and immediately found a map and a crossbow. I've never used a crossbow before though so I don't know if the best way to protect my map if the shit hits the fan is to shoot or to just leg it...

Does anyone ever use the crossbow? I've just respawned in Cherno and immediately found a map and a crossbow. I've never used a crossbow before though so I don't know if the best way to protect my map if the shit hits the fan is to shoot or to just leg it...

Shoot, watch the arrow fly wildly off in the wrong direction, and then leg it would be my recommendation

Shoot, watch the arrow fly wildly off in the wrong direction, and then leg it would be my recommendation

This.

This was my experience of the crossbow and why, whilst I love the idea of the crossbow, I will not be touching one again for the forseeable...

Aha. I wandered into a shed in Cherno, overly confident after thinking I had the whole place to myself. There were two zombies inside :omg:

One took a swing at me. I panic-fired and hit him in the chest, putting him down. I legged it outside and waited for the second one to come out. He wandered out slowly and heading away from me, so I bandaged myself. Just as the bandaging finished and the gear screen disappeared, I saw that he was now coming straight for me. I knelt, stayed calm, aimed right between his eyes, and fired. It hit him in the arm. I swore loudly, but then saw that it was enough to put him down.

It's a shame you can't retrieve the bolts, as I'm now completely defenceless again :(

On the plus side, I found a map, compass, engine parts and toolbox. I've never found a salvageable vehicle though, so if anyone is near Cherno and wants the toolbox and engine parts then I'd be happy to trade them for some sort of weapon.

Actually, is it even possible to trade things..?

Mental note: remember not to attempt trade with Alan Stock...

So I've found a bus. Repaired the engine. Engine now green, and hull/fuel/wheels are all yellow. But nothing happens when I get in the driver seat and try to drive it...

Does it have fuel? Are the wheels actually all visible?

Ah, I'm an idiot. I completely failed to notice the gauge with the jerry can symbol above it next to the status lights. The empty gauge...

Thanks!

And you can recover crossbow bolts....

I went to collect Cheeko today, before I found him, he found a dirt bike, so i dropped him off some fuel and we took it back to base :)

:omg:

I found a magic motorbike yay! It's fully repaired but with no fuel, luckily Strategos was en route with a loaded Landrover, 2 jerry cans later and I'm on the road driving my first found vehicle, woohoo! :)

Following someone closely is impossible, we crashed into each other, haha. Luckily the bike is magic and if you get off it and get back on it again it repairs itself. You can get some sweet airs on it.

Oh boy a new bike.

Lemmie at it! I can cruise down hills like no one else.